PDA

View Full Version : Speed Control

MickInUS
4th July 2001, 05:08 AM
I have a Makita 3612 and am moving into using raised panel bits (horizontal). Obviously, the spped of the 3612 is too great for the larger bits.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a competent speed cntroller for this application (other than buying a variable speed machine - the 3612 works fine!).

Mick

John Saxton
4th July 2001, 08:14 PM
Hi Mick,This has a reference in this forum posted by Iain with a link to the same speed control that I use with my fixed speed Makita on the Router Lathe.

Cost in the vicinity of $50 some years back at a woodshow here in Perth.

If you do a search you'll come up with a link that shows you the device that you may perhaps be looking for.

Cheers http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

Iain
4th July 2001, 09:25 PM
Found the old posting John........
I was thinking of the capabilities of a dimmer device with SCR control or similar and I have been looking at some of the suppliers. Jaycar electronics is an option, radio parts if they are in Canberra. HPM and Ring grip also have dimmers of different sizes. Middendorp electric supply the trade with a proverbial plethora of electric and electronic goodies. Seek out a major wholesaler in Canberra and see what they have, you will need a about a 2000watt device to allow for start up.
John Pope, Nhd and D&M Agencies are in Canberra and would be a starting point.

------------------
Measure Twice, Bugger up once!!

Darryn
23rd July 2001, 11:02 AM
I dont think a dimmer type device is really suitable for what you want. Silicon chip magazine had a 10 Amp speed controller a few years ago which was basically designed for routers.

Actuall I just looked it up in their online index www.siliconchip.com.au (http://www.siliconchip.com.au)
It was in the Nov 97 issue with some extra info in the jan 98 issue

I would go to a Jaycar store or something like that and see if they have a kit available if you are semi handy with a soldering iron

DArryn

John Saxton
23rd July 2001, 08:14 PM
To add further the unit I have serves me well on the the fixed speed Makita set-up for the router lathe.
Predominately the bits employed on the router lathe are of a slim profile,but the ability to slow the speed of the router on the intricate cuts required is invaluable with the speed control mechanism being utilised in conjunction with the router.
It also frees up my variable speed routers for other chores at what must be considered at a very reasonable cost.
I'm pretty sure that Timbecon or Woodstock in Perth are still marketing these units.
Cheers http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
Johnno

Geoff Sims
24th July 2001, 02:01 AM
If it helps, the Speed Controller published in the Silicon Chip Magazine is available in kit form from Dick Smith Electronics for about $130.00. It is rated at 2400W, so will handle your router with ease. It's very easy to build

Glen Bridger
25th July 2001, 11:12 PM
I contacted a power tool repairer in Adelaide once before about attaching a speed controler to my router.
He advised me single speed routers will not survive if you use a speed controller. The armateur will operate at a higher temperature that it was designed to handle, and it will eventually burn out.
Variable speed routers are controlled electronically to exactly match the specifications of the armateur.
I kinda figure he knew what he was talking about so I didn't bother buying a speed controller.