PDA

View Full Version : Clamping jig for use with the Domino

Rocker
21st July 2006, 05:46 PM
When I gave my new Domino its first trial run in the shed yesterday, it immediately became apparent that I needed to devise a way to clamp smaller workpieces, when cutting mortices in their edges with the Domino, with the same sort of ease that they can be clamped to my morticing jig. I had noticed the same problem when using a biscuit joiner, but I didn't use it with small workpieces often enough to get motivated to build a jig for the task.

Anyway, here is my Domino clamping jig. The sliding board on which the toggle clamps are mounted is 14 mm plywood. It is locked in position by two knobs with bolt extensions that engage with tee-nuts countersunk into the underside of the 16 mm MDF base board.

Now I shall have to buy a couple more toggle clamps for my mitre sled.

Rocker

mat
21st July 2006, 06:16 PM
Rocker

I'm not quite clear what the adjustment on the main board of the jig does for you??

Lignum
21st July 2006, 06:43 PM
Mat, im assuming its to have the work peice just overhanging the edge so the face wont be obstructed by the bench? I know the pic shows it right back but Domirocker will be better able to explain:D

Lignum
21st July 2006, 07:01 PM
Rocker this would be a good thread to kep just for all our various clamping fixtures/jigs for Domi.

And the "gap" down the length of your bench? looks like a great idea, whats the go with it?

nt900
21st July 2006, 07:20 PM
The gap is allowing one of his clamps to do it's thing from the middle of the workbench. Is that the only reason Rocker?

Lignum
21st July 2006, 07:24 PM
Ive seen old benches with them so they can use hand saws in the middle, but im not sure if Rockers is similar. Pics we need pics:D

Carpenter
21st July 2006, 07:40 PM
Good stuff Rocker. Lignum - great idea about the jigs/domi ideas page. Nothing worse than remembering about something you read & not being able to find it.

Carpenter
21st July 2006, 07:41 PM
Can't see any Domi-dogs in the workbench yet Rocker!

Rocker
21st July 2006, 07:58 PM
Mat,

The axis of the Domino's cutter is 10 mm above its base. Therefore, if you want to cut a centred mortice in a workpiece that is less than 20 mm thick, the edge of the workpiece must overhang the base board. Hence the necessity for an adjustable fence.

Lignum,

When I bought the two maple slabs for the top of my bench in the US, it seemed like a good idea to leave the gap in between them to allow clamping, and indeed I do find it very handy for that. The downside is that sometimes tools drop down the gap onto the floor, but I think the convenience outweighs this disadvantage.

Carpenter,

I already have Veritas bench dogs that fit in the round dog holes that were pre-drilled in the slabs of my bench top, so there was no need for dominos, but I admit Lignum's idea was great, if you don't already have the dog holes.
Rocker