PDA

View Full Version : Nova 3000

Nuggett
11th August 2002, 11:38 PM
Does any one own this lathe?
If so r u please/ displeased?
I'm fairly new to woodturning, but very keen.
These NZ lathe seem to be the go as all other i.e. Vicrmac/ Wood fast etc cost a small fortune (there worth more than my bloody Car!!) So for my $1500 (is this the going price?)what will I get & do/ should I make any additional purchases at time of sale? My interest is: table legs spindles Goblets pens.
Thanks in advance

Jim Carroll
12th August 2002, 08:21 PM
Doorstop thanks for the compliment I think.

Kev Y.
12th August 2002, 08:38 PM
Hey doorstop.. nova's aint BLUE!!!!

http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

Tim the Timber Turner
12th August 2002, 08:39 PM
Doorstop
Stop sucking up to the bloody Victorians or I will tell everyone what you got up to at SATURN on Saturday night.

Your MATE Tim

------------------
Some days I turns thisaway, somedays I turns thataway and other days I don't turn at all.

robertch
8th September 2002, 02:44 PM
I have recently purchased a Nova 3000. An upgrade from a smaller, lighter Delta lathe. The price was more reasonable than that of the Oneway lathe ( http://www.oneway.on.ca ). Being Canadian I would have prefered to purchase a Canadian product but the Oneway is aimed at the pro turner and I am still a few years away (plus a few dollars short).

Overall I am very impressed with the lathe, the price was reasonable and when mounted on the proper bench, the lather works very well. Vibration is minimal due to the mass of the bed. As well the machining of the bed is very well done. I very much enjoy the swivel head but there are a few items that I feel could be improved. For example; turning the head requires that you use a bar to loosen a screw, this seems to take more time that I think it should. The belt is annoyingly loud. Of course I turn with music in my shop so I recitify this problem via the volume button on the stereo. Both of these item are minor when compared to the following. I find that the lid covering the belt pullies falls onto my hands when I adjust speed, the lid is not heavy, but get in the way. I have upto this point resorted to opening the lid and holding it open with my forehead while both hands are busied with moving the belt. No photoes will not be published showing this form ;-) A small stick cut to the appropriate length will resolve this problem but I do find it annoying.

The bonus Nova chuck is nice and will save a few dollars. Having used the Oneway Stronghold chuck, I still think Oneway has superior machining which make using the Oneway chuck easier and requiring less lubrication. For example, I have used my Stronghold for over four years and never cleaned nor lubricated. I have used the Nova for about 100 hours and found that it is getting somewhat dry and may need to come apart for a cleaning/lubrication. Again, this is a very small point and probably offset by the savings in $$$'s

Overall, I am very satisfied with the lathe. I have turned small boxes to large 20" bowls using the outrigger. If you are moving from the occasional hobbiest to a semi-pro (wanna-be like me), I think this is the lathe. I am certain that this lathe will satisfy when when I get enough nerve to take turning full time.

-Rob

ubeaut
10th September 2002, 12:57 AM
Rob - A squirt of brake fluid on the pulleys will shut the belt up. Us Aussies in the know have been using this silencer for years.

Cheers - Neil