PDA

View Full Version : Turned "red Ash", and "Hairy Walnut?"

cedar n silky
22nd July 2006, 11:02 PM
I finally have got into the shed, and turned a peice of that Red Ash that the party goers were throwing onto the fire a couple of weeks ago! Lucky I managed to save a fair bit of it before it all got burnt!! There is a bit of history to the tree. It got struck by lightning over 30 years ago, and stood standing dead for that long. It puts paid to the myth that you can't burn a tree that has been struck, or that they go as hard as granite!! It is pretty hard mind you!
I am going to try and leave a bit of the natural outer on anything I turn out of this tree, as it tells a story, and has a really nice grey weathered texture! (maybe not everyones cup of tea)
The little bowl is a chunk a mate of mine gave to me. Not sure what it is, he thought it might be NSW Walnut (hairy walnut?), but there was no borer in it and apparantly walnut is notorious for borers. Possibly White Beech? Any ideas? Cheers:)

Farnk
22nd July 2006, 11:34 PM
Lovely work mate, with grain like that the simple forms are the best.
I'm insanely jealous! Had a look in the shed today, nothing on the stack of slowly drying peices took my fancy at all..

Doughboy
22nd July 2006, 11:48 PM
You are not turning MY hairy walnut!!!:o :o

Pete

ss_11000
23rd July 2006, 12:10 PM
great work.....

TTIT
24th July 2006, 12:40 AM
So it was worth saving after all - good to see Cedar.:D Now at least I know what to expect from the tiny piece of Red ash I've got.

reeves
24th July 2006, 04:33 PM
mm yes, very nice mate !!
good find and cool natural turnings..
very enjoyable

rowie
24th July 2006, 11:23 PM
having not paid anything out of your skyrocket makes it even better! nice

Caveman
25th July 2006, 02:01 AM
Hey Cedar,
Really nice - I like the piece of natural inclusion. Like you said - tells a story. Always nice.
Keep on turning.