PDA

View Full Version : 8 mm router bits

Vonrek
4th April 2002, 10:41 PM
hello all

Can anyone tell me where i can get 8 mm shank router bits in Oz? I bought a GMC
900 W a few years ago as an introduction to routers, at a price that was just too good. It came with 6mm, 6.35/.25 inch and 8 mm collets. Also came with an 8mm shank 12mm straight bit (i must say it has been a good little router for the price, but I'm casting serious looks at the new Triton monster). The 8mm shanks are significantly bigger than the 1/4 inch ones and seem a good idea if i can only find a supplier.

While on router bits. Is it worthwhile trying to sharpen/touch-up them with diamond stones? I do realise that only the flat side gets attention in said sharpening. If so, which grit is best used (router bits in reasonably good shape) and which diamond sharpeners? Has anyone had experience with those cheapy, no-name, plastic backed sets sold by Timbecon and Carbetec which come in three progressive grades?

Cheers
Tim

soundman
5th April 2002, 09:25 AM
the 8mm shank size is not commonly used in this country 1/4" & 1/2" are mostly all that you will find. I think the 8mm shank is a euro size my little festo came with a 8MM collet too.
as far as sharpening I havn't used diamond touch up myself but I do have my bits sharpened by a good sharpening service. Ask arround in your area for who to trust.

Iain
5th April 2002, 11:53 AM
My Makita came with a 8mm bit but I have not looked for any others.
I seem to recall John Saxton saying that Festool had them, have a look to your left, yeah just across there and under the flashing 'new' or Aussie links (sounds like a sausage doesn't it?), might find something under festool.

John Saxton
17th April 2002, 11:41 PM
Hi, MIK International in Adelaide carry some 8mm router bits that may suit your purpose.
Check them out if you wish.

Unfortunately some manufacturers in the States(USA) are dropping their lines obviously due to demand which is a pity given the extra material and the robustness over the 6mm/1/4 " bit that we have become endowed with http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/mad.gif

Personally, if I had the option which is not available, I know what I'd go for in router sets if given the option.

Cheers http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
Johnno