PDA

View Full Version : Box hinges?

Wild Dingo
23rd July 2006, 12:12 PM
Okay so ive got the sisters artist paint brush box almost complete... however I attempted to create some hinges using small lengths of Jarrah and Tuart glued together... Id seen someone on here having done a fanbloodytastic job of creating them but I seemed to have lost track of that thread and have no bloody idea how to track it down again or even if he posted how he did it!... so my problem?
Okay the top half of the hinges are fine 1 1/4 long x1in wide 1/8in square Jarrah peices 1/4in longer than the Tuart so am making the back peices to link them together... what do I use to connect the two? a peice of fuse wire? but dont want to have bent wire anywhere so whats another way of connecting them?

Also as Im doing the front of the box its got a lip... no Midge not a lisp a LIP :p :rolleyes: (just gettin in early ol son! ;) ) so the front hinge is going to over lap the front... so the front hinge is going to have a smaller connection that will connect to another hinge that will flip over the to be made hook... this will be locked down with a to be made Huon Pine pin and chain (carved)... so theres the two back joins plus another two at the front... so far this box looks the ducks knuts with its paint brush handle and now made palette with gems as the paint and I really dont want to stuff it by using something wrong in the connections of the hinges

IDEAS!! please!!

Sorry about the pic will take anothery later but you get the idea eh?
Cheers!

Dan
23rd July 2006, 12:24 PM
so whats another way of connecting them?

Bamboo skewer (got that one from Roger Gifkins (http://www.gifkins.com.au/WoodenHingePlans.pdf)) or a small diameter stainless steel welding rod. Remove the flux, put a piece in the drill and polish it up with some wet and dry.

Wardy
23rd July 2006, 12:25 PM
hi dingo i have used 3mm bamboo scewers for my wooden hinges. is the thickness of your hinge only 3mm? maybe try using a 30mm long panel pin instead of fuse wire.
cheers wardy

chrisb691
23rd July 2006, 02:01 PM
Okay so ive got the sisters artist paint brush box almost complete... however I attempted to create some hinges using small lengths of Jarrah and Tuart glued together... Id seen someone on here having done a fanbloodytastic job of creating them but I seemed to have lost track of that thread and have no bloody idea how to track it down again or even if he posted how he did it!... so my problem?
Okay the top half of the hinges are fine 1 1/4 long x1in wide 1/8in square Jarrah peices 1/4in longer than the Tuart so am making the back peices to link them together... what do I use to connect the two? a peice of fuse wire? but dont want to have bent wire anywhere so whats another way of connecting them?

Also as Im doing the front of the box its got a lip... no Midge not a lisp a LIP :p :rolleyes: (just gettin in early ol son! ;) ) so the front hinge is going to over lap the front... so the front hinge is going to have a smaller connection that will connect to another hinge that will flip over the to be made hook... this will be locked down with a to be made Huon Pine pin and chain (carved)... so theres the two back joins plus another two at the front... so far this box looks the ducks knuts with its paint brush handle and now made palette with gems as the paint and I really dont want to stuff it by using something wrong in the connections of the hinges

IDEAS!! please!!

Sorry about the pic will take anothery later but you get the idea eh?
Cheers!

Here's the thread you were looking for, http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=32590&highlight=wooden+hinge

Wild Dingo
23rd July 2006, 02:22 PM
Thanks Chris that was the one! :cool:

I now see clearly where I buggared up with this first set... aside from the fact that I think I made them too thin to start with I also didnt pre-drill the holes... no worries now armed with that I shall again have another burl! :cool:

The skewers I thought of toothpicks those round ones but thats it the skewers! I think her bloody highness has some in the kitchen that if Im quick and quiet I may be able to nick ;)

Thanks all :cool:

KRH
23rd July 2006, 06:10 PM
Hi dingo

Glad to see you having a go at these.

Since posting that method, I have attempted using paddlepop sticks. Turned out Ok but it is pretty crappy wood so i probably won't use that method again. The next source of thin wood I intend to try is a number of slats out of a wooden venetian blind. These come in a varity of wood that appears to b of fairly good quality. A small blind costing around $30 should provide enough hinge material to last a lifetime.

The trick is drilling reasonably accurate holes in each hinge piece. Suggest you make a quick jig for this.

Good luck.