PDA

View Full Version : Router Modifications

Glen Bridger
8th June 2002, 07:56 PM
Mod 1

After constructing a jig for surface planing with my router I have tried to design and build an effective dust extraction system. I have tried several methods, but most of them have either limited the plunge depth or have interfered with the carriage assembly. I recently saw the very clever design of the dust extraction/safety guard on the new Triton Router. I then adapted this concept to design a dust extraction hood for my router.
I used 3mm perspex to make a plate that sits about 8mm above the alloy base plate and covers the entire opening. It extends out behind the machine where it gently bends up to a height of about 50mm. At the rear of the dust hood is a piece of 12mm timber, which has a short section of 32mm electrical conduit passing through it for the hose connection. (The conduit is allowed to freely rotate).
The hole was cut in the plate with minimum clearance between it and the chuck.

Mod 2

Accurate control of the cutting depth has always been a problem. I have used "set-up" blocks, and for found drill bits can be very handy for setting cutting depths as well.
My solution was to fit a "micrometer barrel" to the standard depth setting gauge on the router. The block that holds the micrometer allows the standard depth gauge to be still used. This has enabled cutting depth to be controlled with 0.001" increments. It’s a little bit over the top, but the accuracy is second-to-none.
I have some digital phots but can't seem to get them in this post.

Glen

Iain
9th June 2002, 08:50 AM
Email the pics to one of the moderators and it shall be done or a link to your web site if you have one.

John Saxton
9th June 2002, 09:08 PM
Good thinkin' Glen pity you have'nt got a manufacturer interested in your designs...plenty of folk out there with routers and not the space for a Thicknesser!
Cheers http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
Johnno