PDA

View Full Version : Survey

Tom O Donnell
11th March 2002, 07:24 PM
Hi All

I would be interested in what others can receive attachments. E.g. Word, Powerpoint,
Publisher.

I do prepare my material in all three formats and some time it may be more convenient if it is posted in another format.

I'm No computer whiz adn i was only interested in what others used.
Tom

------------------
TomnJarrah

Kev Y.
11th March 2002, 09:23 PM
Tom, I can recieve all 3 formats, but might I suggest maybe that you look into dropping the three formats and just using adobe acrobat.

That way you can be sure that you have a single common media for everyone and not have to wory about the different versions of other programs?

Kev.

[This message has been edited by Brudda (edited 11 March 2002).]

John Saxton
11th March 2002, 09:48 PM
Good suggestion Kev,but Tom, now that a lot of folk have been given an "Introduction to the use of Template Guides" perhaps a suggestion of a survey or feedback of those folk who may have implemented your ideas to gauge utilisation across the medium.

Cheers http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

Tom O Donnell
12th March 2002, 11:14 AM
Thanks Kev for your suggestion I can only give it a try.

Good Idea john.
If anyone who has received my material Give me a call with your comments. or best still post it here for all to see
Tom

zathras
12th March 2002, 04:53 PM
Tom,

I found you article useful, even though I must be one of the few that has used the template guide extensively with my router http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/wink.gif

Something I must admit I had never considered was obtaining/making a guide of 40mm or so diameter so you can also use the larger roundover etc cutters. Great idea.

Cheers Ray

Tom O Donnell
12th March 2002, 06:50 PM
Thanks Ray for your comments especially when it is said from some one who uses template guides.
Tom

------------------
TomnJarrah

griffo
3rd June 2002, 10:22 PM
Tom's stuff is really interesting, however I lost it all in a computer crash. I certainly think that PDF is the way to, except it is yet another computer program to buy and learn how to use. (Adobe Acrobat/Distiller)

zathras
5th June 2002, 08:10 AM
Creating a PDF is very easy when you use the print to PDF option in Acrobat.

Mind you, you'd better visit the accounts manager first as it don't come cheap.
There is however free software about that generates .PDF files, not as easily as using the real deal though http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/frown.gif

Despite this, .PDF is the way to go.
Native formats are a real pain if you don't have the same package, and with Micro$oft, the same version even! Try loading a Word 200 document with Word 1 some day http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/frown.gif (OK I've fiddled the version numbers)

Cheers Ray

soundman
5th June 2002, 09:43 PM
An other couple of options are
Rich text format with seperate jpeg images.
Plain text with sepearte jpeg images
All products microsoft seem to make enormous files which may make email drag.

Many people are very cautious about MS office attachments now, especialy those with macros.

Serious tip with power point.
Never cut and paste images form another application into power point. Always open the files from within powerpoint.
If you paste from photo editor you paste a bit map (huge uncompressed file) not the jpeg you think you are working with. http://www.ubeaut.biz/look.gif
I got bitten last november when preparing a big pres' email me if you want to know the grusome'

John Saxton
6th June 2002, 09:41 PM
C'mon all you folk who got a helpin' hand from Tom in the way of info that he provided you with in regards to "Template Guides."

How about givin' the man some feedback as to whether you'll use it and if you do your positive/negative comments.

I've seen this guy go out of his way to help folk in his usual unselfish manner primarily to promote the craft in which he excels and it would be considerate if a few responded with comments so he can guage the measure of his efforts!

I'm not associated with Tom in his doings, but do admire his endeavours and his considerable talent of what he achieves in his craft.

------------------
Johnno

barrysumpter
12th June 2002, 10:00 AM
Hi Johnno,

I replied to Tom the day he sent me the documents. I made quite a few suggestions.

------------------
Thanks,
Barry G. Sumpter
Proud Tritoneer

Little Festo
12th June 2002, 02:45 PM
Hello Tom,
Please send me a email to [email protected]. I'm a professional photographer and I have to prepare all types of documents for different clients.

I produce brochures, prepare electronic teaching materials for lectures, take a few photos and do a bit of woodwork too.

I would say Acrobat would be the way to go - but drop me a line and I'll discuss it with you in detail.

Peter

DPB
12th June 2002, 03:14 PM
Tom, I run the risk of being misunderstood, but I assume that you want honest feedback.

I purchased your CD some 6 months ago and have studied the material it contains several times. I acknowledge that the techniques you demonstrate have the potential to vastly improve the practicality of the router. However, (and this may say more about my skill levels than anything else)I found the CD articles were too assumptive for me. I mean by this that, from my perspective, I think you assume that most of us know more than we (I) do. I found the content a little disjointed in places and repetitive in others. I believe that more illustrations and photographs would be helpful, particularly if accompanied by step-by-step instructions, i.e. 1) Do this first; 2)Then do this; 3)etc. etc.

Tom I applaud your generosity and advanced router skills and experience. I am hungry to learn as much as I can from you and will be sure to attend any Router Seminars you present in the Melbourne area in the future.

Hope this helps, Mate! Keep up the excellant work!

luther
16th June 2002, 02:02 PM
Hello Tom--Woody from the woodnet forum.
We have sent messages back & forth many times in the past.
I have often praised your projects in the past but like DPB I have a very hard time FOLLOWING YOUR CONTINUITY.
This is also why you were not UNDERSTOOD completely on the Net forum.
------------------------------------
I hope you take this as constructive criticism--so here goes.
------------------------------------
Because I am a rabid template user myself, I could figure out what you were saying & doing but most readers couldnt.
Very few of them have constructed oversize bushes & many dont use bushes at all because of the bearing guided bits available.
Your text very often did not align with the pics. you were showing & this caused much confusion.
I see PROOF your technique is very very good just by looking at your work.
---------------------------------------
Tom did you get my E mail about making the 2.5"(6.35 cm)bushings for large bits,that I showed on MARKS forum ????

Keep up the pushing of--template routing.

John Saxton
16th June 2002, 11:28 PM
Hi Woody, welcome to this BB,your posts on the other BB's have always had fair and objective comment,so I'm sure Tom will view your comments in the same light given that he is a man pursuing excellence within the work spheres of his craft and expertise.

------------------
Johnno

Tom O Donnell
17th June 2002, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by luther:
I have often praised your projects in the past but like DPB I have a very hard time FOLLOWING YOUR CONTINUITY.

Hi Woody
Thank you your reply I tried to send details via the email but since I have got my computer back I have had a few problems.

I appreciate that you would be one of the few that would use the guides, and you have been using them for years.

I suppose the lack of continuity was due to the fact I was getting little response to my postings on the use of the guide, so I decided on a different tact. (at least here in Australia)

I made the effort to attend the Various wood shows to demonstrate the method, and I have just returned from the Brisbane Wood show in May where I was Sponsored by Makita and a Tool company called Tampico. I was also sponsored by the show organiser Patrick O'Rielly, where I was provided space and assistance for the demonstrations.

The next wood show is in Sydney and I will be packing my bags and heading off tomorrow to give more demonstrations sponsored by FOR WOOD tools here in Western Australia and again Patrick O'Rielly the show organiser. I say this because with out their assistance I could not attend the shows.

I am convinced like youself Woody that there is a need to educate router users in the art of using the template guides.

Note:
Those reading this from New South Wales, and will be attending the Sydney wood show come and see what really can be done with the router.

Not being a computer whiz,Woody what is DPB? you must rememer I have just discovered the computer in the last few years.

Regarding the article on Mark's site I do not have a copy re guides. I would appreciate if you would forward the mateial again.

Tom

------------------
TomnJarrah

Tom O Donnell
17th June 2002, 08:18 AM
t
Originally posted by luther:

Sorry I told you I was hopeless with the computer DPB was the pstig above
Tom

------------------
TomnJarrah

Tom O Donnell
17th June 2002, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by DPB:
Tom, I run the risk of being misunderstood, but I assume that you want honest feedback.

I do apprecate honest feed back so please do not hesitate to let me know.

I purchased your CD some 6 months ago and have studied the material it contains several times. I acknowledge that the techniques you demonstrate have the potential to vastly improve the practicality of the router. However, (and this may say more about my skill levels than anything else)I found the CD articles were too assumptive for me. I mean by this that, from my perspective, I think you assume that most of us know more than we
(I) do.
I have re-written the material a few times and with what you are saying I need to dot the i's and cross the t's. This is what I need to know to get the message over.

I found the content a little disjointed in places and repetitive in others.

It all began writing a series of articles and topics which were individual topics with al the relevant nformation. Repition in each article was to save the reader referring back and forth to find the material e.g. Jig Holder was repeated in every article.

I believe that more illustrations and photographs would be helpful, particularly if accompanied by step-by-step instructions, i.e. 1) Do this first; 2)Then do this; 3)etc. etc.

Again this is the sort of information I am looking for, so that I can improve the standard of presentation

Tom I applaud your generosity and advanced router skills and experience. I am hungry to learn as much as I can from you and will be sure to attend any Router Seminars you present in the Melbourne area in the future.

Thank you for your comments and please contact me if you wish any further help with any of your projects. With a little bit of hep I hope to attend the Melbourne Wood Show later in the year.

Hope this helps, Mate! Keep up the excellant work!

It sure has helped thanks once more

To

Tom O Donnell
17th June 2002, 08:44 AM
t
Originally posted by John Saxton:
Hi Woody, welcome to this BB,your posts on the other BB's have always had fair and objective comment,so I'm sure Tom will view your comments in the same light given that he is a man pursuing excellence within the work spheres of his craft and expertise.

Hi John

Woody is certainly a master at woodwork and has always voiced his opinion on the various forums. Just like yourself John.

Thank you for your encouragement to promote the template guides as you can see I will be treking the country side in the effort to bring greater pleasure to routing enthusiasts.

Tom
( Still trying to come to grips with this new key board) It keeps spellig the wrong words.

------------------
TomnJarrah