PDA

View Full Version : Variable Speed Adapter

TOMARTOM
28th May 2002, 12:48 AM
There is an attachment outthere somewhere... that can plug into a non variable speed router,enabling it to be variable speed.
Any suggestions where to get a device like this.

Thanks in advance

Tony

soundman
28th May 2002, 02:05 PM
Yes there are such devices to control various types of universal motors (most power tools ). Even availabe as kits.
BUT they are well known to have serious draw backs. I would be most dubious about the use of such devices with routers.
The variable speed electronics we are seeing in powertools particularly routers and sanders need to be quite smart to overcome the problems.
Main concerns are

Speed regulation
external devices may cause the tool to run at higer speed off load and bog under load. Not good in a router

Rough running
tool may not run smoothly as speed is lowered.

Bad tool reactions
Some tool will not be happy with the way the device butchers the electricity and may overheat or other wise not be happy

I have seen these devices used on drills and buffing machines in the past and havn't been impressed.

That is unless someone has come up with a new funky product
cheers http://www.ubeaut.biz/bow.gif

Glen Bridger
28th May 2002, 10:29 PM
Yep, thats what I got told by a guy who repairs power tools. He said they'll work for a while before it will eventually burn out.

Glen

[This message has been edited by Glen Bridger (edited 28 May 2002).]

John Saxton
29th May 2002, 08:55 PM
I have posted previously I think in this forum on this device.
I have a constant speed Makita router set up on a router lathe and for the last five years I have had no problem with the variable speed device.
I will admit that it is not in constant use but rather only on occasion when required.
Accessed from Timbecon in Perth for about 50 smackers.
Still working ..so hope that the previous posts alluding to a short working life is unfounded.
Cheers http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
Johnno

Rod Smith
29th May 2002, 11:41 PM
G'day
Tip 1 - if using a bit thats tooooo big for the speed of your router, just get into the wood quick and push hard enough to keep the speed down, easier with an underpowered router. (OK I'm joking, sorta)

Tip 2 - If you hunt and are patient you could pick up a good s/h VS router.

Gloat 1 - I got a one day old big VS makita (can't remember model) for $150.
Gloat 2 - I got a brand new never used Hitachi M12V for $200. This ones the ants pants IMHO.

Cheers
Rod

soundman
1st June 2002, 11:29 PM
The problems with speed varying devices are less when the speed is near full and the load is light. All the problems increase as speed is reduced and load is increased.
A light cut and a little speed reduction may work ok for you.
One thing to be carefull of is the current rating of the speed reduction device. Must be adequate for the tool.
The question is why the speed reduction is needed. Apart from running a large bit there may be other cures to your problem.
cheers http://www.ubeaut.biz/bow.gif

Stephen Reid
17th June 2002, 03:01 PM
I have a fixed speed router in a table and want to use larger bits > 60mm. What do you suggest? Is there a way around purchasing a variable speed router?

Cheers
Stephen

John Saxton
17th June 2002, 09:28 PM
Hi Stephen,in answer to your question Nope.

A variable speed router is essential to your needs if you intend employing large diameter face/panel bits.

In essence this is what you'll need barring the alternative of a speed reduction unit.

With the variable speed adapter you may get away with it, I have had one for about 5 yrs with no problems but admittedly it is set up on a constant speed router on a router lathe and only used when I want to turn spiral/decorative legs which isn't often.

There have been previous posts alluding to doubt of the use of this...it's a question of whether you want to spend $50<> on what could be a gamble for you.

I gambled back then on a router I either sold or dedicated to one purpose in the shop and in my opinion I'm still winning, and you will have to seriously consider your options.
Timbecon in Perth was selling them back then...

Cheers http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
Johnno