PDA

View Full Version : Router Table

Bushrat
4th May 2002, 01:58 AM
Morning all,
Does anyone know where I can obtain the plans for a shop made Table, I have the Triton but thats about as acurate as a bent stick, I have purchased an Incra Guide ans wish to mout it on the best possible table I can make.
Thanks
Bushie

Iain
4th May 2002, 08:43 AM
Theres a few here.....
http://www.woodworkersworkshop.com/dcd/Woodworking/Index_of_Links/Plans_Fr ee/R_listing/index-11.html (http://www.woodworkersworkshop.com/dcd/Woodworking/Index_of_Links/Plans_Free/R_listing/index-11.html)
I particularly like the Joe Johns model with vacuum port.
------------------
: http://community.webshots.com/user/iain49

[This message has been edited by Iain (edited 04 May 2002).]

soundman
4th May 2002, 12:51 PM
Router tables seems to be a real popular subject in the mags. seen heaps of designs.
First stop local libruary wood work mags.
Most of them seem to be a good solid top on a box & not much more.
Worthwhile project though.

Johnno
4th May 2002, 05:44 PM
I'm also seeking the ideal router table - I have a Triton, and tend to agree with you...
Go to the nearest decent newsagent and see if you can find the 'Winter 2001/2002' edition of 'Fine Woodworking' (No 153). This contains all the details for 'the ultimate router table'. It looks great and the only drawback I can see is that it's built around a 'JessEm Rout-R-Lift' unit which also looks great but I've not seen advertised in Oz yet.
You could also go to <www.bluehighwaytour.com/2001/Tool_Stand/> This is another unit which seems to fill many wants. I think someone else listed it on the BB earlier.

Good hunting

zathras
4th May 2002, 07:42 PM
I believe Carbatec now sell the Rout R Lift. Seen it in their latest dogalogue.

Iain
4th May 2002, 08:17 PM
Big $$$$ for the Rout R Lift, I find it hard to justify.

derekcohen
4th May 2002, 08:28 PM
Over the past 10 years I must have built at least 4 or 5 router tables around my Elu 177E (which is a big mother). Each next one contained some technical improvement, or so I imagined. My last (before my current one) included a built in sliding table, somewhat similar to the Triton. My thoughts now are "simple is better", and I have built my current one as an extension of my tablesaw (a 12" Carba-Tec with sliding table). I have used an insert from Jesada Tools, and built a fence from 75x50mm aluminium rectangular section with split MDF faces. I bolt this to the saws' fence when required. The fence is so easy to adjust and, best of all, always parallel to the mitre track. This is a really easy router table to use. I will try and take a photo and post it to the site for comments. If you don't want to go down this route, a simple study box will probably do as well (but will not be as much fun to plan and build, of course!).

Derek (in Perth)

Bushrat
5th May 2002, 12:03 AM
Thankyou folks,
Many thanks for the help with my quest, I think a 'composite' of a couple of plans as indicated in the site Ian gave will be the end result, all I have to do now is get my other half out of the shed (read workshop where HER lathe resides)so as I can get busy.
agin, many thanks
Bushie
http://www.ubeaut.biz/wave.gif

zathras
5th May 2002, 09:03 AM
Derek,

Do you use the rectangular fence as a dust sucker as well ?

I considered doing that myself once but after I got the extrusion back home it was bent like a banana }:| and the aluminium don't come cheap.

Cheers Ray

Vonrek
5th May 2002, 02:27 PM
Try Bill Hylton's "Router Magic. Jigs, fixtures and tricks to unleash your router's full potential" For mine one of the best books written on routing, it has 11 chapters on router tables, including making the top, custom mounting plates, bit opening inserts, fences, sleds and featherboards (along with a whole bunch of other great stuff including chapters on mortising jigs, a crank handle for your router and jig making materials).

Bill contends that mitre slots and associated guides are not necessary, in fact more of a nuisance, on router tables: "The mite gauge is a table saw accessory. Leave it on the table saw. It isn't suited for router table work". Instead he suggests the use of sleds, which can be custom made to the job and most importantly back up the work for zero tolerance clearance and prevent end grain blow out.

Bill's masterpiece is a floor standing, custom built router table with a list of innovative features including a flip top for easy bit adjustment, two stage dust collection, bit storage and a nice, big and heavy laminate covered top.

In all honesty i have not seen a better designed and thought out router table. It is simple and functional with out the do-it-all fancy gadgetry but the flexibilty to be adapted to all needs. Besides, with an incra jig it would seem that all you really need is a big flat smooth sliding table with a whole in it to stick your bit through!

Cheers Tim.

derekcohen
5th May 2002, 10:49 PM
Ray

Yes, I have dust collection built into the fence. I really will need to take some photos to show you what this fence can do. I'm quite proud of it. A brief description for now: A 50x50 segment of the aluminium section is cut to take the router bit (this is later faced with sliding MDF fronts so you can make the opening as wide or narrow as you like). The router bit area is isolated by blocking off the aluminium section from the inside. I have a dust collection access directly above the router bit. This works very well. The whole fence is very strong and I have not noticed any distortion.

Incidentally, it was not expensive to make. The aluminium section was an offcut purchased for about $20. The bolts, etc were about $10, while the facing MDF was an offcut from my bin. It was the beer that was expensive!

Regards

Derek

Bushrat
6th May 2002, 10:20 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Vonrek:
[B]Try Bill Hylton's "Router Magic. Jigs, fixtures and tricks to unleash your router's full potential"
G'day Tim,
Is that book readily available , do you by any chance know the SBN Number.?
Many thanks
Bushie

Vonrek
7th May 2002, 11:14 AM
Dear Bushrat

The ISBN is 0875967116, publisher: Rodale Press. This is for the hardcover version but it is also available now in paperback according to amazon.com (this book received an average 4/5 stars in reviews posted by readers!).

I borrowed my copy from a local library but the book is still in print and should be readily available.

Whenever i see a book I think I might like, ialways search amazon, get the ISBN and then take it to the friendly people at Dymocks (I believe that they are Australia wide) and they order it in, no worries.

As far as router books go, I can't recommend this one highly enough. Also look out for other router (and other) books by the same author.

Hope this helps

Cheers, Tim

Bushrat
8th May 2002, 11:31 PM
Hi Tim,
Many thanks for the info on the book, I rang our local supplier and it is now ordered, should be about 4 days away.
I have a 2.7x2.1mt sliding door to install in our home this weekend so i guess the fun part of wood working will be on hold till thats done, in the interests of domestic harmony. You know how it is.
Many thanks
Bushie

Glen Bridger
27th May 2002, 02:25 PM
Australia Woodsmith Magazine had plans for a router table in Issue # 17.
It had some clever ideas which could be adapted to any table.
You can get back issues for $6.95 ea.
Send to Australian Woodsmith, Locked Bag 5020, Gladesville, NSW 1675.

Glen

JackG
28th May 2002, 12:25 AM
This one is not as good as the Rout R Lift but a lot more affordable
http://svc009.bne011i.server-web.com/catalogue/gregory/cache/item-69public.html

Jack

Glen Bridger
28th May 2002, 10:21 PM
Hi Guys,
I tried the ISBN for the hardcover "Router Magic" with no luck. However I did find a Trade Paper version ISBN 0762101857.
It appears on the Angus and Robertson Website, within the USA Database. It can be ordered Online, $43.77 AUSD plus postage.

Glen.

Johnno
29th May 2002, 02:41 PM
Glen,
I went to Dymocks armed with the original ISBN and they found it first try. I will have a hard-cover copy next week at AU$52.

Johnno

Vonrek
30th May 2002, 03:35 PM
Hang on guys, before any one else goes out and orders this book, give me a chance to contact Mr Hylton to arrange some kind of royalty dael!!!

PS. Hope you all enjoy it as much as I did.

Glen Bridger
3rd June 2002, 01:53 PM
Thanks Johnno, I'll give them a try.

Glen.

derekcohen
17th June 2002, 09:11 PM
I finally got around to taking a few photos of my current router table (extension of saw table) and the router table fence I made (see discussion above). I apologise for the poorer-than-desired definition, but you'll get the idea. If anyone wants more details I will supply measurements (but the plan is very basic and I'm sure the construction is self-evident to those who've done this before). My basic aim was to construct a simple router table and a fence that was versatile yet easy to use. This one is constructed out of 50x75 aluminium box section, with adjustable MDF faces, and dust extraction above the blade. The table is made from an offcut of laminated kitchen bench, which is very durable and flat. The insert comes from Jesada Tools.

Copy the complete following link for pictures: http://photos.ninemsn.com.au/myfiles/folderview.aspx?Folder=*EtEZjHm6cpZBdb9KhxcRX6OeNiZUD9X1NBsqM9eA!Y%24&trk=tcupview

Derek Cohen (in Perth)

RETIRED
17th June 2002, 09:56 PM
Derek,

You need a passport password to enter this site.

------------------
Ian () Robertson
"We do good turns every day"

derekcohen
18th June 2002, 01:52 AM

Rats! I used my young son's (age 9 years) photo album. He really won't mind if I tell that his password is "bunnie" since the album is intended for the sharing of photos. I hope that this works.

Is there any way to insert pictures directly onto this bulletin board?

Derek

derekcohen
18th June 2002, 01:29 PM
Let's try again. Different photo album.

Try http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=4027331&a=30246831

Regards

Derek

luther
18th June 2002, 02:04 PM
Very nice looking setup Derek.

[This message has been edited by luther (edited 18 June 2002).]

zathras
18th June 2002, 08:43 PM
Derek,

I got one of those Triton switch boxes myself for my router table. Great units.

Cheers Ray