PDA

View Full Version : Does size count?

rsser
26th July 2006, 05:42 PM
If I can recall, there are photos around of dwarfed by length and Guilio dwarfed by height so now it's the thickness dwarf's turn :D

Art Ransom is the turner, and yep, they do 'big' in Texas!

http://turningaround.org/18inColumn.htm

[Edit: oh, and back up on the url and read his home page; a gem]

ss_11000
26th July 2006, 05:50 PM
look at the size of that gouge :eek:
800RPM :eek:
not even bolted to the floor:eek::eek:

Termite
26th July 2006, 05:59 PM
Man that's gunna be one hell of a biro.

cedar n silky
26th July 2006, 06:07 PM
Man that's gunna be one hell of a biro.
Hell of a biro alright!
If you look closely at his website photo's you'll notice fly paper hanging from his roof, and if i'm not mistaken, they are "darned big flies" Mind you "everything's big in Texas"!
The fly paper is not a bad idea though, just thinking about it. We have flies up here called "marchies" or March flies (I don't know why cause there around all Bl--dy summer, not just March), and they bite and draw blood !! Just imagine putting a finishing cut into a bowl and one of the little mongrels bites!!:mad: :mad:
Cheers

Termite
26th July 2006, 06:26 PM
Hell of a biro alright!
If you look closely at his website photo's you'll notice fly paper hanging from his roof, and if i'm not mistaken, they are "darned big flies" Mind you "everything's big in Texas"!
The fly paper is not a bad idea though, just thinking about it. We have flies up here called "marchies" or March flies (I don't know why cause there around all Bl--dy summer, not just March), and they bite and draw blood !! Just imagine putting a finishing cut into a bowl and one of the little mongrels bites!!:mad: :mad:
Cheers
They're as slow as a wet weekend and easy to catch. What you do is catch one and get a fine sliver of grass and stick it up............
Ok, when I was growing up as a bushie we didn't have much to amuse us.:D

cedar n silky
26th July 2006, 06:36 PM
They're as slow as a wet weekend and easy to catch. What you do is catch one and get a fine sliver of grass and stick it up............
Ok, when I was growing up as a bushie we didn't have much to amuse us.:D
They are slow , but!! They seem to get quicker and more sneaky as the summer gets hotter, and we have about a dozen or so breeds, and they get longer and sharper pointy things (proboscisis- spellings probably wrong) which really bl--dy hurt. The kids up here used to catch them and tye a long bit of cotton around ther waist, and have them as pets untill the got sick of them and then they jus "sort of closed the knot" if you know what I mean? Not that I would advocate that sort of behaviour. I guess we didn't have much to amuse us either!;)

Auzzie turner
26th July 2006, 06:57 PM
Boy That must be a 2 and a half inch gouge he's using. What is it he is making. Couldn't see myself glueing all those boards together,

Regards.........Joash

rsser
26th July 2006, 07:03 PM
[Edit .. .re flies] Sods of things. Remember tethering a horse on a long rein so I could finish a climb to a mountain top.

Couple of hours.

When I got back the b*ggers had harassed the nag so bad his head was just about locked to the tree for all the turning he'd done and the shortening of the rein that caused.

Do what you like to them as far as I'm concerned.

[Edit: Joash, he's doing a column]

Auzzie turner
26th July 2006, 07:05 PM
[Edit .. .re flies] Sods of things. Remember tethering a horse on a long rein so I could finish a climb to a mountain top.

Couple of hours.

When I got back the b*ggers had harassed the nag so bad his head was just about locked to the tree for all the turning he'd done and the shortening of the rein that caused.

Do what you like to them as far as I'm concerned.

[Edit: Joash, he's doing a collumn]
sound pretty bad to me-----the flies

goat
26th July 2006, 07:45 PM
may be some one should tell him about the dangers of not using a dust mask:eek:

Auzzie turner
26th July 2006, 07:47 PM
who me? I use one all the time

ss_11000
26th July 2006, 09:37 PM
who me? I use one all the time

no, the guy in the pic.

i to was wondering where his respirator and facesheild was, i thought of a dusty to, but its prob up near the headstock.:)

Tassie Boy
26th July 2006, 10:37 PM
man ... that gonna hurt is it comes loose:D :confused:
You would want to take your time while centering it, or the lathe might dance out of the workshop:D

Bloody big gouge too...

Skew ChiDAMN!!
26th July 2006, 11:25 PM
That's not a fly-strip hanging from the ceiling, it's a bushies' dust-collector. :D

Actually I reckon still wins. That piece looks like it was made with staved construction, so it'd be hollow and fairly balanced from the start. When gave us his demo it was a log (he was making some BIG peg-dolls!) about that size and it most certainly wasn't round. He did say that he's had some come adrift but with the weight they usually hit the bed/fence and bounce to the back of the lathe... where it'd be damned hard work getting 'em back out. Not a chore I'd envy!

I wonder how those dolls came out? I forget where he said they were for... some school, I think. I wonder if he has any pix?

Terry B
26th July 2006, 11:45 PM
I had a look at his website. He has turned some impressive stuff.

echnidna
27th July 2006, 12:08 AM
Reckon Robbos lathe would turn that diameter easy.

Mr Unknown
27th July 2006, 03:32 PM
not bad but im not trying to make myself look good but ive turned bigger heavier and the one i turned started out square and i done 16 of them, plus ive done a few other projects similar. The longer ones took me about 3 hours each to turn into a verandah post out of iron bark and the smaller ones ive done the 16 were same diameter and iron bark timber but they were those poles that u see near the water that the boats tie there rope to cant remember what they were called.
I had to use an engine hoist to load and unload them outta the lathe and they were turned between centres not with a chuck although the headstock centre was a bit bigger then your usual.
Ill try and find the pics i have of me turning these things and post em up, i might have to go visit my old boss cause he had some pics of me turning them aswell and i was only about 21 years old when i did em, and i turned into a black man from the hardwood dust.

ss_11000
27th July 2006, 04:19 PM
it sounds interesting, it would be good to see photos of it.

Mr Unknown
27th July 2006, 04:49 PM
yeah ill try and find the pics tonight and scan em up.