PDA

View Full Version : Variable frequency Drive Confusion

Fossil
27th July 2006, 01:22 PM
Hello all,

I want put a 2hp 3 phase 415v motor back on my lathe, which does not have a motor on it at present. I do not have 3ph power in my workshop, and have been looking at VFD's, as per advice from this board.

So.....
I have a 2hp 415v motor in good nick which can be connected delta or star.
The affordable vfd's that I have seen output 220v 3ph from 240v 1ph supply.

Can I use the motor that I have with one of these units?
Am I totally stupid?
Can someone help/explain this electrical stuff?

Thanks to all. :)

Cliff Rogers
27th July 2006, 02:11 PM
Best thing to do is contact the manufacturer/distributor/supplier of the VFD & give them the details of you motor.

415VAC implies that it is a 240VAC 3Phase motor.

Each phase is 240VAC & 120° out of phase with each other phase.
The maximin voltage across any 2 phases is 415VAC (RMS for the picky ones) hence the name '415'.

Fossil
27th July 2006, 06:40 PM
Thanks Cliff, that's a good idea.
I'll do just that. :)

soundman
27th July 2006, 06:58 PM
I would be very surprised if you have any significant problems. 220 isnt even 10% under voltage & I would be surpriesd if you are going to stress the motor.

Afterall we now live in a 230 volt country according to australian standards.

voltage at the outlet varies quite a bit more than it should at times in many places and big uggle industrial typer motors seem to keep going.

where the real trouble starts is when you find a single phase motor which is working near its capacity and is then asked to start at voltages welll below its rated, then is sort of starts ( maybe ) but doesn't runn efficiently and and of course gets hot and bothered and dies a very smelly death.
prime example, fridge compressor motor trying to start in a brown out at 90 volts..... get the idea.

proper advice is however recomended.
cheers

hughie
28th July 2006, 02:15 AM
Fossil.
It should not be a problem. I have a similar setup 240-415 1hp motor on my MC1100. 1HP cos thats what I have....3 would be nice....sigh :)
My inverter powered the auxillary on the Ark so it has an encyclopediac type manual....:( other than that I have never had a problem. I'll try and get a pic up over the weekend .
hughie

Phil Spencer
28th July 2006, 09:38 AM
Hello all,

I want put a 2hp 3 phase 415v motor back on my lathe, which does not have a motor on it at present. I do not have 3ph power in my workshop, and have been looking at VFD's, as per advice from this board.

So.....
I have a 2hp 415v motor in good nick which can be connected delta or star.
The affordable vfd's that I have seen output 220v 3ph from 240v 1ph supply.

Can I use the motor that I have with one of these units?
Am I totally stupid?
Can someone help/explain this electrical stuff?

Thanks to all. :)

Fossil
Look at the name plate on the motor, most modern motors are dual voltage Ie.. up to 100 frame (2HP) 240 V delta connected and 415 V star connected over 100 frame they are 415 V delta connected and 720 star connected this is true for all modern three phase motors the only modern motor on the market that does not comply is the Toshiba they are 415 V only for the smaller motors.

With regard to the Variable Frequency drive you can get a 240V rated drive that will accept 240 V single phase input and give 240V three phase output if you connect the motor in Delta AS PER THE NAME PLATE you should be able to run your motor with the VVF drive on single phase.

I have done this with my lathe and I discuss this issue with me customers all the time when I sell them a motor or a motor and drive package.

The only problem that I have with customers is those that have not looked at the name plate and connect the motor incorrectly it is usually licensed electricians that don't read the name plates.:(

Regards

Phil Spencer:)

Phil Spencer
28th July 2006, 09:44 AM
Re my last post look at this site ans all will be revealed regarding motors:

http://www.sea.siemens.com/step/default.html

Regards

Phil:)

Fossil
28th July 2006, 11:02 AM
Thank you all very much for the replies.
The motor is presently connected star, and will take 2 minutes to change over to delta, so It looks as though this thing is a goer. The lathe did have this motor on it years ago when I had 3 phase, but I am looking forward to having the extra control etc with VFD. :)

Thanks for link Phil,
I am also looking forward to going through all of the courses when I get some more time.

Thanks again guys.

Fossil.

Fossil
28th July 2006, 01:20 PM
This one in the link will cost around $350.00 delivered to my humble abode.
Does anyone have any comments.
I couldn't find any that were cheaper, with the options as listed, so I may get one in the next few days unless anyone has a better otpion or advice.

Thanks again :)

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=004&item=140009543417&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Phil Spencer
28th July 2006, 06:02 PM
This one in the link will cost around $350.00 delivered to my humble abode.
Does anyone have any comments.
I couldn't find any that were cheaper, with the options as listed, so I may get one in the next few days unless anyone has a better otpion or advice.

Thanks again :)

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=004&item=140009543417&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Fossil
That's a drive out of the US it has most likely set up for US voltages which are different to Australian voltages plug it in and it will most likely blow up and you will have done your money. Apart from that it will not have Ctic accreditation or it may not have radio frequency filtering both of these things are required by law in Australia.

Toshiba sell a nice 240V drive (I don't work for them I work for their opposition) so do LG and Schneider. Look around in Australia don't buy electrical equipment on Ebay

Regards

Phil:)

Fossil
28th July 2006, 08:34 PM
Thank you Very much Phil.
Your last post was worth the price of membership all on it's own. :D

I ignorantly thought that the unit would do all the "power stuff" for international standards. It does have Ce standards and such, but after your post, I went to the Hitachi site and looked up model # designations for model L200-015NFU. It seems that U in this model stands for US, J stands for Japan, and E stands for European. I guess we are European in Aus????? The Hitachi .au site has the generic model, however links to the .com site for all of the info, and there isn't an "A" designation for Aus in the model #s

Anyway, you are correct and the drive in the link is a no go for Aus.

I have only been researching these things for the past couple of days, and anything in Aus seems to go for tripple or more the asking price of U.S ebay.
How much do the Toshiba units run at?

Thanks again. :-)

Sorry for my rambling. Just finished a big job today, and now it's beer and splinter sqeezing time. :)

Cliff Rogers
28th July 2006, 10:44 PM
....and now it's beer and splinter sqeezing time. :)

Please explain. :cool:

Nah, I worked it out. D'oh. :rolleyes:

I suck & bite mine. :D

(suck the beer & bite the slinters.)

Phil Spencer
29th July 2006, 10:54 AM
Thank you Very much Phil.
Your last post was worth the price of membership all on it's own. :D

I ignorantly thought that the unit would do all the "power stuff" for international standards. It does have Ce standards and such, but after your post, I went to the Hitachi site and looked up model # designations for model L200-015NFU. It seems that U in this model stands for US, J stands for Japan, and E stands for European. I guess we are European in Aus????? The Hitachi .au site has the generic model, however links to the .com site for all of the info, and there isn't an "A" designation for Aus in the model #s

Anyway, you are correct and the drive in the link is a no go for Aus.

I have only been researching these things for the past couple of days, and anything in Aus seems to go for tripple or more the asking price of U.S ebay.
How much do the Toshiba units run at?

Thanks again. :-)

Sorry for my rambling. Just finished a big job today, and now it's beer and splinter sqeezing time. :)

My pleasure Fossil

Price depends on what bells and whistles you want, for a wood lathe you only want basics (forward/reverse stop start and a pot for speed selection and overload.

From memory Dovers in Queensland were selling a cost effective unit. Or you could try the Eurotherm unit that is the one that Rob at Omega puts on the Stubby lathe.

And ABB were going to put out what they called a Machine Drive that was very basic and would have suited a lathe application.

Contact Drives and Power Systems at ( 3) 9764 1961 for the Eurotherm or ABB drive ask for Mark or Alan

Or you can contact my companies NSW rep Rod Julian on 0417 155 830, he will be able to arrange a Bonfiglioli drive (1.5Kw or 2HP 240 V mod No SYN10 S 220 07 AF) for around $375.00. This unit is rated at IP 22 and you will have to mount it in a box with a remote pendant switch to keep the dust out

A company in Victoria Zenvic ( 3) 9587 5313 Ask for Peter Wright will be able to supply one in a box with a pendant remote and all leads ready for you to connect to your motor and plug in and pre-programmed for around $600.00 this will be dust tight. He is the Toshiba agent also but he will most likely fix you up with a cheaper drive if you want.

Please note I am not pushing my own products info is intended as a helpful guide only.

Regards

Phil Spencer:)

hughie
29th July 2006, 04:49 PM
Fossil,

Heres a few pics of my setup. I am using an old Lenze inverter coupled to a 1hp 3phase motor. What has proved most useful is the homemade pendant speed control. Simple affair using a 100mm pvc trunking cap with a pine base that has two magnets imbedded in it.

Whilst both the motor and inverter are second hand [ ex work ] they are in good condition. Due to the fact that its IP22 I have had to put it in a cabinet. [also second hand :D ]

The only draw back is the manual.....160 pages :( wading through manuals is not my forte :(

all in all its well worth the effort to set up an inverter, now i would not be with out it.