PDA

View Full Version : radius on skew chisel

robatman
27th July 2006, 03:45 PM
Hi all,
I'm new to turning and go tthe $109 set of chisels from H&F. It has a 25mm oval skew. I bought a helpful book- (Woodturning- two in one, Phil Irons). A good book with two sections on each page; top one on project and bottom one on technique.

Anyway they talk about putting a slight radius on the skew, just relieving the edges i suppose to avoid catches.

Is this a good idea for a beginner??

thanks
Robert

arose62
27th July 2006, 06:34 PM
Disclaimer: I'm a newbie at turning, so this is just my 2 cents, not authoritative.

I haven't bothered to put a radius on my skews because:

1) it's a bit extra bother when sharpening. With a straight edge you can use your favourite flat abrasive surface - file, diamond thingy, wet-and-dry paper on glass, waterstones etc. etc. without any fancy jigs.

2) I often use the edge as a "straight edge", either just to sight between edge and the workpiece, or even as a scraper. If the edge was a curve, it would be useless to me for these functions.

Cheers,
Andrew

soundman
27th July 2006, 07:12 PM
radius your skew.... hell yeah.
While I can see an advantage to having a straight edge skew in some situations, I have been grinding mine with a radius & find it is a good thing.
it allows you to keep the points out of the work easier, gives you a curved edge when planing that leaves a smoother finish and allows you a longer edge when slicing.
It is no trouble at all to sharpen, in fact its easier , you don't have to keep the edge straight. justa twist of the wrist and there you have it.
I only have a very slight curve but its there.

It wont cost you more than a couple of mm of steel to try it.
cheers

Skew ChiDAMN!!
27th July 2006, 07:40 PM
IMHO the radiused ones are easier to both sharpen and use BUT it all depends on what you're used to in the first place. As Arose said, try it and make up your own mind.

I have quite a few skews, ovalled and otherwise, with both square & curved profiles. What one I use depends entirely on the job at hand. Which is as it should be. ;)

robatman
28th July 2006, 11:27 AM
Thanks guys,
might just take the edges off, it seems the skew is a very versatile tool, but compared to the roughing gouge which only takes a few minutes to get the hang of, is still makes me nervous whenever i pick it up!!

robert

TimberNut
28th July 2006, 11:30 AM
Robatman,

Most beginners will find a curved edge on the skew easier to use. They tend to suffer catches less than using a straight edge.

Sharpening - I've seen a lot of newbies waste plenty of steel trying to sort it. Flat edge is easier to sharpen, as Arose said, so I guess it's up to you.

I'd say a straight edge is more versatile, but more troublesome to master. A lot of newbies get put off using a specific tool by repeated catches with a tool, and tend to 'shelve it' rather than persevere - and skews are probably #1 on their avoidance list.

So if you want to reduce catches - radius, but if you want versatility, don't.

My personal choice - no. I have 3 skews- 25mm straight side, 15mm oval skew, and about 12mm round - all have straight edges. That's the way I like them.

You'll probably get a 50/50 split on responses.

Hickory
28th July 2006, 01:39 PM
Skews can be cantankerous untill you master techniques. One way to ease the "Catch" problem is to raise the tool rest just a bit so you are cutting more to the top of the tangent , (not as good of cut but out of harms way untill you master technique.) another is to lay the bevel on the wood first and roll the edge into the cut, ever so gently untill you begin shaving off those slivers.

Rather than modify the tool, I prefer to master the technique. Practice makes for good skew techniques. Not just on your projects but on Practice pieces as well. Learn to make beads with a skew on a piece of round stock, before trying on a project piece.

Terry B
28th July 2006, 01:41 PM
Speaking of skew chisels, does anyone use them on the outside of bowls etc?
I have never tried it for fear of cutting the end grain and catching.

Gil Jones
28th July 2006, 02:52 PM
Robert, are you talking about grinding a slight radius in the skew cutting edge (good idea!), or are you talking about slightly rounding over the upper and lower edges of the shank that rubs on the tool rest (another great idea!)? I noticed in your post that you said "Anyway they talk about putting a slight radius on the skew, just relieving the edges i suppose to avoid catches." When I read "relieving the edges", well there is only one cutting edge, unless you mean the shank edges. Anyway, both are a good idea.

rsser
28th July 2006, 03:34 PM
Gil's on the money. I understood Irons to be talking about rounding off the shank edges so that it turns/slides more easily. Is this called an 'arras'?

rsser
28th July 2006, 03:55 PM
Speaking of skew chisels, does anyone use them on the outside of bowls etc?
I have never tried it for fear of cutting the end grain and catching.

Yes Terry. Has its uses. See the post 'New tricks'.

soundman
29th July 2006, 11:08 PM
I think both straight and curved edge skews do have a variety of advantages.
currently I have 4 skews all sharpened with a curved edge, but I think I shall sharpen at least one of them with a straight edge.

It all about having a choice that will give an advantage.
Generaly I prefer a curved skew but there are times when a straight one would be just the ticket.

cheers