PDA

View Full Version : Red Keyaki Bowl...

Stu in Tokyo
28th July 2006, 08:54 PM
...... Well, I have to say that I will not be too sad to see the last of this Red Keyakin (Zelkova) I have, gone, this stuff is HARD, and very demanding to turn (with my lack of any real skills:p ).

When wet, it turns nice, but once dry, man, it is rock hard, and dulls tools in moments, plus it is hard and brittle.

Well after much wrestling with it, this is the results...........

It is about 23 cm or so wide, and 6 cm tall, got it down to less than 5 mm thick, in most places.

Cheers!

Terry B
28th July 2006, 08:56 PM
lovely thin bowl. Did it warp on you?

Auzzie turner
28th July 2006, 09:03 PM
Did I here you say you were inexperienced?

Certainly does not look like it,

Excellent work, also how did you get the base like that? how did you get the base flat, or slightly concave, did you use bowl jaws?

Regards......Joash

Stu in Tokyo
28th July 2006, 09:06 PM
lovely thin bowl. Did it warp on you?

Only a little bit, I noticed it when I was finishing the bottom, but the grain is fairly centered, so it was not bad.

Cheers!

PS my wife LOVED it........... yep, another one gone..... :rolleyes: :D

Stu in Tokyo
28th July 2006, 09:16 PM
Did I here you say you were inexperienced?

Certainly does not look like it,

Excellent work, also how did you get the base like that? how did you get the base flat, or slightly concave, did you use bowl jaws?

Regards......Joash

Well I got the DVR in June, and I had the C-man for a few months before that, so I'd say I don't have that much time on the lathe.

I did the bottom on a donut chuck set up I made in about 5 minutes.........

Like this one (not mine, I don't have a pic of it, found this on the web)

Well worth the effort to make one, but really, I want a vacuum chuck at some point!

Cheers!

Auzzie turner
28th July 2006, 09:27 PM
Ive got the Vicmarc 120 chuck and the largest bowl jaws available to go with it. Bowl jaws can do bowls over 1 metre in diameter. Need to get them out again, and do some bases like that. Love the look,

Regards...........Joash

Stu in Tokyo
28th July 2006, 09:30 PM
Yeah, I like the look of the concave base as well. I find that a foot on a bowl has to be just right, or it takes away from the look. Some do it very well, but I find it easier to just make the concave bottom. You do have to be careful, I have made my share of funnels this way too..... :o :rolleyes: :D

Cheers!

Skew ChiDAMN!!
28th July 2006, 11:10 PM
Lovely grain in that wood, Stu. Red Keyakin? I can't say I've ever heard of it, but now that I have I wouldn't mind trying a piece myself. :)

You've done a nice job on the turning, too. A donut chuck isn't the easiest thing to use, personally I'd have used colejaws instead but different horses for different courses. [shrug]

Plain & simple form, letting the wood speak for itself... definite greeny material.

Stu in Tokyo
28th July 2006, 11:54 PM
Lovely grain in that wood, Stu. Red Keyakin? I can't say I've ever heard of it, but now that I have I wouldn't mind trying a piece myself. :)

You've done a nice job on the turning, too. A donut chuck isn't the easiest thing to use, personally I'd have used colejaws instead but different horses for different courses. [shrug]

Plain & simple form, letting the wood speak for itself... definite greeny material.

A set of cole jaws is on my short list, but the donut chuck just took minutes to make, so I went that way (more time to turn :rolleyes: ) I want to make a vacuum chuck, when funds allow.

I just got a box of goodies, a new kind of bowl finishing tool, one of Eli Avisera's new tools, watched him demo it in person a few weeks ago, boy is it slick! :D

Him sharpening it upside down.....
http://www.ablett.jp/workshop/images/lathe/eli_avisera_july_06_demo/day2/dsc06692.jpg

In use........

http://www.ablett.jp/workshop/images/lathe/eli_avisera_july_06_demo/day2/dsc06686.jpg

pic of the end of the tool....

http://www.ablett.jp/workshop/images/lathe/eli_avisera_july_06_demo/day2/dsc06687.jpg

and another.......

http://www.ablett.jp/workshop/images/lathe/eli_avisera_july_06_demo/day2/dsc06688.jpg

I has two bevels on the tip, it sure works well!!

I'll post a review later.

Tool part number is "Hamlet #416 finishing scraper"

Cheers!

Skew ChiDAMN!!
29th July 2006, 12:06 AM
A set of cole jaws is on my short list, but the donut chuck just took minutes to make, so I went that way (more time to turn :rolleyes: ) I want to make a vacuum chuck, when funds allow.

My cole jaws and your donut chuck have a lot in common... :D

Got a cheap'n'nasty chaiwanese chuck with the right spindle thread as a freebie, so I threw the jaws to kingdom come and replaced 'em with a quartered disk of ply and some old door-stops. :) Not the most durable setup, but with care it works and ply is cheap.

A vac chuck's on my wish-list too, but it keeps moving further down in priority as more pressing needs are called to my attention. [sigh] Pity I can't use the old jam-tin method on my lathe; the headstock is too "leaky."

TTIT
29th July 2006, 12:59 AM
Nice looking bowl Stu :D Is that timber some of the stuff you cut on the block they were redeveloping near you???:)

Stu in Tokyo
29th July 2006, 01:26 AM
Nice looking bowl Stu :D Is that timber some of the stuff you cut on the block they were redeveloping near you???:)

Yes it is, nice stuff to look at HARD to turn, I want some nice soft Hard Maple or Walnut! :D

ss_11000
29th July 2006, 08:41 PM
nice bowl stu, excellent looking grain in that peice