PDA

View Full Version : How deep do you let it get....?

Stu in Tokyo
28th July 2006, 09:27 PM
...... the chips that is ;) :D

Since I made my new stand for the DVR, I've been banging out blanks into bowl blanks here at speed..........

I guess that is about a foot deep on the left, but I could go deeper :D

I do my best to keep the ways free of chips, as the ways on the DVD will rust if you look at them the wrong way!

I've got a few more to rough out and then put into the DNA, but then, I'm going to have to find some more wood.... :rolleyes:

So, lets have some fun, show me your pile of chips :D

Cheers!

Auzzie turner
28th July 2006, 09:31 PM
Excellent mass producing. Show you my pile of sawdust tommorrow, you won't believe it,

Joash

Stu in Tokyo
28th July 2006, 09:42 PM
Excellent mass producing. Show you my pile of sawdust tomorrow, you won't believe it,

Joash

Cool, I can't wait to see it.

I clean up fairly regular, as the stuff get tracked everywhere if I don't , and being a small space, well it pays to keep ahead of it.

I also found that if I leave all them nice wet chips about the place, I get a substantial rise in humidity in the old Dungeon, which can spell "RUST"

Show my your chips guys! :D

Lignum
28th July 2006, 09:59 PM
I dont have a lathe, but this is my little thicknesser pile;)

lubbing5cherubs
28th July 2006, 10:11 PM
where do you put it next? bin, Garden, or what do you do with it??
Toni

Lignum
28th July 2006, 10:23 PM
All over the place:) Some goes to people at a pony club, the cricket club in summer gets some, not long back a snake breader got some for his mice and the excess goes in the bin. If you want Toni i can send you a few bags:D

Stu in Tokyo
28th July 2006, 10:25 PM
I used to bin it, but then I got talking to the local Shinto priest, and found out he composts all the leaves etc from the shrine's grounds, I asked him if I could add my sawdust, and chips, and he was pleased to say yes, as only leaves is not best. I take him a few big bags a month, and now he has some wood waiting for me to get, they took down a sick tree, I hope some of it is worth cutting up for bowls....

Tour of the local Shinto Temple (http://www.ablett.jp/workshop/shrine_tree_tour.htm)

Pics of the wood there I'm going to collect as well.

Cheers!

cedar n silky
28th July 2006, 10:29 PM
where do you put it next? bin, Garden, or what do you do with it??
Toni
Gr8 pile of chips especially off the thicknesser!:eek: I have no trouble getting rid of all my shavings. There are a lot of compost toilets up this way (including mine), and people are actually buying wood shavings from the rural supply stores, for that purpose!! Saw dust (off a saw) is too fine, but turnings and shavings are perfect, for airation of thew pile. :)

cedar n silky
28th July 2006, 10:41 PM
I used to bin it, but then I got talking to the local Shinto priest, and found out he composts all the leaves etc from the shrine's grounds, I asked him if I could add my sawdust, and chips, and he was pleased to say yes, as only leaves is not best. I take him a few big bags a month, and now he has some wood waiting for me to get, they took down a sick tree, I hope some of it is worth cutting up for bowls....

Tour of the local Shinto Temple (http://www.ablett.jp/workshop/shrine_tree_tour.htm)

Pics of the wood there I'm going to collect as well.

Cheers!
Checked your Tour out thanks, and it brought back memories for me. I spent the first ten years of my life in Japan in the suburbs at a place called Seta machi near the Tamagawa river, and there was a temple nearby, where I spent most of my weekends in the beautifull gardens and bamboo groves!Thanks again!:)

TTIT
29th July 2006, 01:29 AM
Stu - Mine becomes bedding as soon as it's a few inches deep..:D:D:D

lubbing5cherubs
29th July 2006, 01:41 AM
All over the place:) Some goes to people at a pony club, the cricket club in summer gets some, not long back a snake breader got some for his mice and the excess goes in the bin. If you want Toni i can send you a few bags:D
Nothanks I be right... I am starting to get a collection of my own so I was wondering what you do with it. I did not know if you could compost it or not
Thanks Toni

Stu in Tokyo
29th July 2006, 01:48 AM
Beware of some woods, I think Walnut is the one that is usually mentioned, that has toxic dust!

Harry72
29th July 2006, 02:11 AM
I collect mine in big plastic bags(like the ones from carbatec)and let a few people know and soon as one puts a hand up... they get a full ute load of it!(its a big tray too...)

Hickory
29th July 2006, 03:55 AM
HEre in Kentucky the Horse barns love it, but I use a lot of Walnut so mine is toxic to horses, so I take mine to my daughter's acreage and strew it throughout the woods (sort of back to nature in a way) But often as not her neighbore sees me coming and asks for it for his cattle lot, they are a muddy lot those Bovine beasts. (I swear, I think hogs are cleaner, just stinkier) It trampled into the mud and looks like a fine mixture of manure, wood shavings, and loam.

Wood requires a ton of Nitrogen to decompose so it sucks the surrounding matter and depletes the soil. It does not make good compost until it is decayed, In fact it will retard other matter from decaying. Best for bedding or mulch fill.

echnidna
29th July 2006, 04:02 AM
Hey Lignum.
Get a plastic 200 litre drum and cut the top off so it just slides under your outfeed table. Most of the shavings will fall in it so it makes disposal and cleanup a lot easier.

Hickory
29th July 2006, 06:05 AM
Hey Lignum.
Get a plastic 200 litre drum and cut the top off so it just slides under your outfeed table. Most of the shavings will fall in it so it makes disposal and cleanup a lot easier.

Not far from right there... Obvious you aren't set up with a Dust collector but.... Back in the dark ages I taught at a school w/o a dust collection outfit. We had a shoot on the Planer and pipes a couple of elbows to push the spray into a wood box, we had a cloth apron around the duct to keep the spray from filling the air and was able to collect the most of the shavings. You could do the same with a duct and a Trash can and a cloth apron.

echnidna
29th July 2006, 06:10 AM
Gotta dusty now but didn't have one for a long while so you work out how to avoid breathing dust and getting big heaps on the floor :)

Lignum
29th July 2006, 10:44 AM
Obvious you aren't set up with a Dust collector

Hick, i have a big dusty but to stingy to buy the connection for the thicknesser:rolleyes: But I dont mind piles of saw dust on the flloor it adds to the woody feel of the workshop. When it gets out of hand I jut use a sheet of ply and scoop it into BIG plastic bags to be taken away:D

Hickory
29th July 2006, 11:02 AM
Hick, i have a big dusty but to stingy to buy the connection for the thicknesser:rolleyes: But I dont mind piles of saw dust on the flloor it adds to the woody feel of the workshop. When it gets out of hand I jut use a sheet of ply and scoop it into BIG plastic bags to be taken away:D

That would be because you have a shop (shed) large enough to swing a dead cat in. I have limited real estate and don't have enough room for machines, myself , plus the dust.

hughie
29th July 2006, 05:20 PM
I have limited real estate and don't have enough room for machines, myself , plus the dust

Yep, I got a two car garage as a workshop...no cars they live out side :D .

But SHMBO has made it into a somewhat smaller workshop :eek: , so clean as you go is where I am at. But.......... that kinda falls over from time to time :D Most of what I have in there is on wheels...except the lathe it has a couple 100lbs of scrap metal slung on it.... I have given up the Woodies Two Step :D

Skew ChiDAMN!!
29th July 2006, 08:36 PM

Perfect job for a floor sweep! :D Once I find the lathe is too low for comfortable use (or more accurately, the floor is too high...) I simply break out the broom. Or the shovel, if I've left it a bit too late. :rolleyes:

Occasionally I'll remove the droppers from my o/head ducts, open all the gates and then run amok with the air-hose to clean everything above floor level. A good dust-mask is a must, though...

Creativity thru laziness! :o

ss_11000
29th July 2006, 08:47 PM
Stu - Mine becomes bedding as soon as it's a few inches deep..:D:D:D

that is so cool....though i hope he waits till after your done;)

TTIT
29th July 2006, 11:51 PM
that is so cool....though i hope he waits till after your done;)

Truth be known Stirlo - I've buried her a couple of times!!!:o:o:o

ss_11000
29th July 2006, 11:55 PM
Truth be known Stirlo - I've buried her a couple of times!!!:o:o:o

interesting....at least she wood be warm.

Caveman
31st July 2006, 04:37 PM
I use all my shavings to make great compost for the veggie patch & fruit tree mulching. Shavings from green wood work quicker as they are already wet, but dry shavings also do well once moistened. I mix it with other garden wastes and kitchen peelings etc.
Composts real quick if one can add a batch of 'starter' microorganisms and keep it moist and aerated.

Grizz
1st August 2006, 09:30 AM
TTIT and Stirlo,
When I first got my lathe, our little dog (Staffy Dachshund cross) used to sleep under it while I was turning. Couldn't find him one day untill he woke up and emerged from the shavings. Looked like something out of a B grad horror movie. The things you see when you don't have your camera handy :)

Grizz.

OGYT
1st August 2006, 12:28 PM
I put mine around my trees and shrubs and grape vines... but not around the house... draws termites.