PDA

View Full Version : Router Framing Jig

Bob Jager
14th December 2002, 10:09 PM
I'm trying to track down the plans for a router table jig to assist in making narrow picture frame moulding. I saw a picture of it in a magazine or on the web somewhere, but can't remember where.

I need to regularly rout lengths of 19mm x 70mm MDF on its narrow edge against a vertical raised panel bit (cove) on my router table, but I am not always happy with the accuracy of the results.

The jig which seemed to be an auxilliary fence consisting of a long box section with the internal dimensions the same as the external dimensions of the moulding stock,it prevented wobble and twisting of the material while being routed, ensuring consistent and accurate results when working with small narrow stock.

I have considered other means of achieving the same end result, but this jig attracted my attention and I would like to track it down.

Can anyone help?

mikmaz1
14th December 2002, 10:42 PM
hi bob
i dont know the article that you are refering to (the router , pomy mag possibly?)
how about joining 2 lengths of 19mm mdf together to form a 19x70 rebate , attach this to your table fence, then pass your workpiece through. use a small length of offcut to push last piece through (a piece that you can easily pull out again)
hopefully you can understand this.
seeyasoon mik.

Bob Jager
17th December 2002, 11:25 AM
mikmaz1,

Thanks for your reply and suggestion. I have considered quite a few options but just wanted to try this jig. I remember when I saw it I thought to myself what a great idea, but then had a seniors moment and forgot to make a note of the URL or magazine.

Its no big deal as I have a few work arounds which will make life easier.

I guess my real problem is that I am working with stock on its narrow edge, and after the first two passes of routing the cove, there is a tendency for the stock to become a little unstable as the narrow edge becomes even narrower and the material of the longer face against the fence becomes less as well. If that makes sense.

I have considered using a higher fence and using stock twice as wide and routing two mouldings from the one length of stock (on the alternate sides) and then ripping it in half. This would mean that there would always be atleast 70 - 80 mm of stock against the vertical face of the fence which should be reasonably stable. Where currently on the third pass I have only about 15mm against the vertical fence.

I really need to draw the detail to make sense.

soundman
17th December 2002, 02:46 PM
I recon the best solution is to use a tall fence as you say.
But start with a wide board & machine the edge then cut it off and go again.
result less waste and an even wider bearing surface.
the use of feather boards or preasure rollers would be a good idea.

John Saxton
17th December 2002, 09:09 PM
Bob..a silly question ...have you tried doing a search with Picture Framing as your search string?
Just a thought!
Cheers http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
Johnno