PDA

View Full Version : Crotch fetish

TTIT
29th July 2006, 12:46 AM
OK - time to come out of the closet - can't stay in denial any longer - I've got a crotch fetish!;) Yep, as soon as they're laying on the deck, the first thing I've got me mitts on is the crotch. Bypass the long straight legs and straight for the fork everytime! Let's face it - that's where all the action is!:D Big gnarly crotches, little colorful crotches and even rotten old cracked ones. It's become an obsession - just can't get enough of 'em.:o

After looking at all the turned pieces cluttering up the house and my ever expanding collection of blanks, I've realised that I have hardly a single piece of straight grained timber - - and wouldn't have it any other way!

Here's a few I finished recently.
Pic 1 & 2. Love this one - Pecan - the crotch figure alone is cool but with the spalting as well and a knot and a bit of bark on the rim - it had to work.
Pic 3. Gidgee
Pic 4. Budgeroo
Pic 5. Sally wattle/Desert Ash

TTIT
29th July 2006, 12:50 AM
Pic 6. Pecan (5 branches)
Pic 7. another Pecan
Pic 8. Bimble box
Pic 9. Just finished this one :)- more Budgeroo - planned to carve both sides of the bark inclusion out but thought it looked OK with just one side done - my beloved son's first comment was "looks like a dunny seat".:(
Pic 10. Back to plan 'A'

lubbing5cherubs
29th July 2006, 12:54 AM
Gorgeous all of them
Titt--what part of the tree do you call crotch--to get that nice grain
sorry if dum but I must ask
Toni

TTIT
29th July 2006, 01:35 AM
Gorgeous all of them
Titt--what part of the tree do you call crotch--to get that nice grain
sorry if dum but I must ask
Toni
Toni - The crotch is any fork where branches separate - always has interesting grain in it.

cedar n silky
29th July 2006, 08:01 AM
Great work TTIT!:) For a moment there I thought you knew my ex missus in that first paragraph!!:eek:
Thanks for the pics- I'm a crutch man myself! Sheds full of them.;)

Cliff Rogers
29th July 2006, 02:25 PM
Toni - The crotch is any fork where branches separate - always has interesting grain in it.

Or an interesting groin? :D

journeyman Mick
29th July 2006, 02:51 PM
Or an interesting groin? :D

Cliff,
have you seen "that" tree too?:D In case you haven't it's between Mareeba and Kuranda, as you drive towards Kuranda it's on your left, just before you reach "The Termite" shop. Someone has even painted the right bits pink so as to highlight the similarity to certain parts of the female anatomy.:eek:
And no, I'm not going to post any piccies!:p

Mick

Wood Butcher
29th July 2006, 03:22 PM
I'll have to agree. I've seen some fascinating crotches:D
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a379/wood_butcher/tree.jpg

Wood Butcher
29th July 2006, 03:24 PM

Mick

Owww.....Come on Mick Please!! http://www.ubeaut.biz/bowdown.gif

:D:D:D

Wild Dingo
29th July 2006, 03:47 PM
Beautiful turnings T :cool:

I guess as Im presently on "quetioning" mode ;) Id better ask the questiions that are now bugging me

Which part of the crotch do you use? I mean how do you load it to the lathe with two separate parts of limbs and the crotch itself? or do you cut back totally til its just the crotch? man its hard to discribe what Im askin here... okay with a normal blank youve got a nice straight peice from the bough or trunk right but with a crotch youve got a three way split and therefore a three way peice... unless you cut out the crotch itself? keeping as close to the joining as possible?

Talk to me!!! show me the pics!! :eek: and thanks in advance :cool:

journeyman Mick
29th July 2006, 04:02 PM
Woodbutcher,
can't, even if I wanted to. I've never taken any piccies because I'm usually doing about 120 as I drive past (very straight, open road). Besides, it's quite anatomical!:eek:

Mick

Caveman
29th July 2006, 04:24 PM
Hey TTIT, once again really great stuff - thanks for sharing.

rsser
29th July 2006, 04:56 PM
Love the 'dunny seat' ... terrific work.

Did you fill some voids with lighter coloured filler? Sure it needed it?

hughie
29th July 2006, 05:08 PM
TTIT,

Nice going, I must have a crack at my bit of Gidgee ;)

Ah.....but hand tooled dunny seats, now thats something you dont see every day.....:D

rsser
29th July 2006, 05:57 PM
TTIT,

Ah.....but hand tooled dunny seats, now thats something you dont see every day.....:D

No, and our grandpappies could tell us exactly why we shouldn't!

hughie
29th July 2006, 06:06 PM
Ern
...............................splinters..........................................:D

rsser
29th July 2006, 06:07 PM
Dingo, with your chainsaw cut the crotch down the middle just as if you were doing a log. Assuming the legs are on the same plane as the trunk.

Then when you're looking at the grain, again with the chain saw, cut a rough hexagon. I use a compass with a watersoluble pen to scribe the circle, and mark the centre point with the pen when I've done it.

You now have a nice blank with pith - you can either plane it off or rough turn it straight away and then seal the end grain which is my preferred method.

When dry true it all but expect that as you finish turn released stresses will push the bowl out of true so do it in one sitting. Or standing. Or whatever.

rsser
29th July 2006, 06:08 PM
Ern
...............................splinters..........................................:D
Hehe, and cracks that close up when you just want a good sit down :D

TTIT
29th July 2006, 07:25 PM
Cliff,
have you seen "that" tree too?:D In case you haven't it's between Mareeba and Kuranda, as you drive towards Kuranda it's on your left, just before you reach "The Termite" shop. Someone has even painted the right bits pink so as to highlight the similarity to certain parts of the female anatomy.:eek:

Mick
Mick - there used to be ripper crotch that even had the associated "burls" that you could see on the way DOWN the Gillies. Some overly sensitive type even put a bikini on it once!:eek:

TTIT
29th July 2006, 08:30 PM
Which part of the crotch do you use? I mean how do you load it to the lathe with two separate parts of limbs and the crotch itself? or do you cut back totally til its just the crotch? man its hard to discribe what Im askin here... okay with a normal blank youve got a nice straight peice from the bough or trunk right but with a crotch youve got a three way split and therefore a three way peice... unless you cut out the crotch itself? keeping as close to the joining as possible?
Talk to me!!! show me the pics!! :eek: and thanks in advance :cool:
OK Dingo - here you go!:D Ern's tip for splitting them is fine for the biggun's but if you split the little ones like pics 3,4,5,7,8,9, there'd been nothin' left.:eek: As soon as I've got the forks home, I trim the excess branch material off and usually flatten the most uneven side in case I want to keep the natural edge on the flatter side. I then cut them into rough circles and seal the endgrain to 'hold' them until I can get to them. If you don't seal them they will almost certainly crack - there's an awful lot of stress and pressure bottled up in a crotch!:o:o:o
When the time comes for the Gidgee and Dead Finish examples pictured, I'll just drill a shall hole in the top centre with a forstner and whack 'em straight on the chuck that way. Particulary the Dead finish as it holds it's bark forever and looks brilliant in cross section.

ss_11000
29th July 2006, 08:52 PM
brilliant work TTIT, i have never turned that part of a tree, but will have to try it one day

DJ’s Timber
29th July 2006, 08:59 PM
Here is a couple of pictures of a crotch piece of pin oak before the blank is cut round

Cheers DJ

TTIT
29th July 2006, 11:48 PM
Here is a couple of pictures of a crotch piece of pin oak before the blank is cut round

Cheers DJ

Just tryin' to imagine what your missus said when you carted that into the house to photograph it !!!:eek::eek::eek::eek:

DJ’s Timber
30th July 2006, 12:35 AM
Ha Ha

Absolutly nothing, as I own my house and live alone with two dogs and a cat for company. I am the BOSS in this household:cool:

Cheers DJ

BobL
30th July 2006, 12:56 AM
TTIT, best looking timber crotches I've seen for a while.

As for crotch fetish, I actually have a "crotchless" fetish. This is one of the names given to the cut down portafilters used in espresso machines. The spouts are remove and a hole cut through the holder so the filter basket can be seem The photo shows first few seconds of extraction of espresso through the filter. Barista's use them to diagnose espresso making techniques.

BTW my atavar is a close up of a cross section of a red gum crotch.