PDA

View Full Version : Routing with template guides

Tom O Donnell
3rd February 2002, 09:57 PM
Hi all

Sorry I have not been in contact with the forum for some time as I have been quite busy writing my book. Now a CD-Rom

I am sorry to hear that the great number of router users do not know how to use the template guides, and I must admit they are missing out on what can be done with the router.

I have been saying this for a number of years now, and I am still to be convinced that the guides are used with the average router user.

I have submitted pics to try and get some interest in the use of the guides but have had very little reponse.
Unless I am proven wrong I will suggest that most router users do not know how to use the template guides.

I admit there is a lot to learn on how the guides are used. If you would like a free copy of 'An Introductiopn to the use of the template guides' contact me and I will send a version of your choice- (a) word Doc ,(b) as a publisher version, (c) or as a Powerpoint presentation.

I have posted the information on www.wa1.quik.com.au/tomodonn (http://www.wa1.quik.com.au/tomodonn)

Tom

------------------
TomnJarrah

[This message has been edited by Tom O Donnell (edited 09 January 2003).]

Sandy Johnston
4th February 2002, 08:44 AM
Hi Tom,

I have tried the template guide with my 3 hp router and find it hard to keep the machine square on to the work.
Possibly due to the weight of the thing. Could be lack of techinque on my part as this is my first router and I have been using it, mostly mounted on the tritons table.

Is there a preferred holding technique and stance? - I grab the beast and ease it up to the template but after a while I usually have it leaning off square before I notice.

I'm no light weight myself - but no charles atlas either.

Regards
Sandy across the ditch

Tom O Donnell
4th February 2002, 12:22 PM
Hi Sandy

seems your problem is understanding how to use the template guides I will forward a copy 'Introduction to the use of template guides' for you to have a look at. Once you come to grips with the use of the guides it will change your style of routing for ever. More importantly it will get the router out of the 'Below Bench' position and add greater potential to its use.
Tom

------------------
TomnJarrah

Glenn M
5th February 2002, 12:37 PM
Hi Tom,

I'll gratefully accept any info to help improve my router technique. Word doc will be fine thanks http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
Glenn
www.woodworkbooks.com (http://www.woodworkbooks.com)

Tom O Donnell
5th February 2002, 06:05 PM
Glenn

Copy of word doc has been posted please give your comments if you wish.
Tom

------------------
TomnJarrah

griffo
6th February 2002, 07:54 PM
Tom

I would greatly appreciate a copy of this guide as well.

Thanks in advance

PS word doc is fine

Tom O Donnell
6th February 2002, 08:30 PM
Griffo
Please forward your email address so that I can forward the material
Tom

griffo
6th February 2002, 11:02 PM
Sorry

[email protected]

Ta

Geoff Sims
17th February 2002, 03:40 AM
Tom

I would certainly appreciate a copy of your Intro to using template guides.

email address is: [email protected]

Regards
Geoff sims

tonks
19th February 2002, 12:52 PM
Hi Tom,

May I get a .doc copy please.

My email address is:

[email protected]

regards

Allen

Tom O Donnell
19th February 2002, 01:02 PM
Allen
I have sent the information requested. I suppose this is a good time to inform readers that the Perth Wood Show is on in March

Tom

------------------
TomnJarrah

Pete
19th February 2002, 05:54 PM
Tom,
could you please send me a copy in .doc format. my e-mail address is [email protected]

cheers,
Peter

geoffgoodfellow
19th February 2002, 09:26 PM
tom
could you send me a word copy please
many thanks

Tom O Donnell
19th February 2002, 11:37 PM
All copies have been sent as requested
Tom

------------------
TomnJarrah

Hoffy
20th February 2002, 05:28 PM
Hi Tom

I would appreciate a Word doc as well
Many thanks
Keith

[email protected]

Tom O Donnell
21st February 2002, 12:26 AM
Hoffy
Keith material has been emailed and feel free to contact me if you have any problem
Tom

------------------
TomnJarrah

Sandy Johnston
21st February 2002, 08:33 AM
Thankyou Tom for the info very helpfull. Will be using the guide a bit more I recon.
Cheerz

Sandy across the ditch

Tom O Donnell
21st February 2002, 08:55 AM
Great news Sandy. I have finaly got at least one convert. There is a great deal you cab do with the template guides as the main accessory
Tom

------------------
TomnJarrah

peter
21st February 2002, 01:44 PM
Hi Tom,

I would love to read a copy of your guide. Maybe I might get more use out of my router after reading it. (doc format would be OK)

Thanks very much.

[email protected]

Tom O Donnell
21st February 2002, 03:19 PM
Peter the material requested is on it's Way
Tom

------------------
TomnJarrah

John Saxton
21st February 2002, 08:34 PM
Tom,I reckon now that you've got their attention on what can be done you oughta start advertisin' your course's, but it'll be hard to get a buck out'a Neil and Iain http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/biggrin.gif

Tom O Donnell
21st February 2002, 08:39 PM
John
Forwood Tools in Malaga (WA) (for those who are not familiar) Has set up a room in his tool store and they will soon be offering router Workshops
Tom

------------------
TomnJarrah

peter
22nd February 2002, 08:53 AM
Thanks Tom,

I had a read last night and I will be have a play with my router as soon as time permitts.

Thanks again,

Peter.

zathras
22nd February 2002, 08:33 PM
Hi Tom,

I wouldn't mind having a look at your document too. .DOC format is fine.

email is [email protected]

Cheers Ray

Tom O Donnell
22nd February 2002, 11:52 PM
Ray
material has been sent by email
Tom

------------------
TomnJarrah

cliff cook
23rd February 2002, 12:16 AM
tom i would like a copy to if available.
Word doc will be fine.Are you going to be at the show ?
cooky
[email protected]

Andrew.W
23rd February 2002, 08:58 AM
Hi Tom I would also appreciate a copy of this as well my email address is
[email protected]

Regards Andrew.

fridgetoo
24th February 2002, 09:47 AM
Hi Tom

I would appreciate a copy
Word document is fine

[email protected]

Will you be at the Perth show this year?

Thanks

Ian B

derekcohen
25th February 2002, 03:38 AM
Hi Tom

I would also appreciate a copy (in Word format)

Many thanks

Derek Cohen (in Perth)
[email protected]

Vonrek
10th March 2002, 03:37 PM
Hi Tom

I would love a copy of your introduction to template guides in .doc form.

My email is [email protected]

While on the use of template guides, an interesting site to have a look at is www.quicktenon.com. (http://www.quicktenon.com.) This site is dedicated to a jig designed to cut M&T joints in a jiffy with a router, templte guide and specially designed phnolic template. The site has downloadable plans for the specially designed router table/vice and very detailed information on the jig installation and use.

The jig, i think, is very pricey but with the plans available and the detailed instructions i reckon a woodie with a bit of router know-how could make themselves a very nice version, (while not breaking any patent or copyright laws of course!!) capable of routing many different sizes of M&T joints, not just the 1/2 inch ones this jig seems to make.

The device is quite similar in principle to Neil Scobie's tenon (I dont think it cuts mortises) jig which has been described in the Australian Woodworker. The wide, flat bearing surface of the quicktenon jig is probably its greatest asset as it prevents any tilting out of 90 degrees of the router cutter, a problem mentioned above which I'm sure a lot of router users have experienced

If anyone out there has a go please let the rest of us know.

Cheers

Tim

Tom O Donnell
11th March 2002, 10:03 AM
Tim

I will forward the material requested as soon as I get over attending three days at the Perth Wood Show Demonstrating the use of the Template Guide with the router. Again I was convinced that 90% of router users do not use the guides after asking a few questions from those attending.

For your information and any other woodies in the Eastern States I am trying to organize some sponsorship to attend the Brisbane Wood Show in May. I also have made arrangements to attend the Sydney Show in June.

Regarding the 'Quick Tenon' I am convinced that the best method of producing the Mortice and Tenon Joint is to use the 'Floating Tenon'. The jig is so simple to use,the only problem is that you require to make a jig for each size of Tenon as it is not adjustable. But at least it will guarantee the tenons will be the same size each time and it is completed with the plunge router and the aid of the (You guessed it) Template guides. I have been using this method for years with great success.

Keep in Touch Tim as I will be launching my 'Home Page' ROUTING NEWS in the near future. Enquire later for the address.

Tom

------------------
TomnJarrah

Tom O Donnell
11th March 2002, 10:10 AM
To all

If you did not receive the material on the use of the template guides please email me as a reminder. You must forgive me as I have been rather busy preparing material for the Perth Wood Show which took place this week end.

Tom

------------------
TomnJarrah

Roly
11th March 2002, 05:52 PM
Tom,

I would like to have a copy please. .doc is ok my email address is [email protected]

Thanks in advance

Tom O Donnell
11th March 2002, 07:18 PM
Roly
Material has been posted
let me know if you got all the pics
Tom

------------------
TomnJarrah

Sawdust Producer
11th March 2002, 11:20 PM
Hiya Tom could you plesae post one on to me in .doc...

I would be very grateful........Cheers mate..

Tom O Donnell
16th March 2002, 10:14 PM
To Those who have recieved my 'Introduction to Template guides' I would appreciate you comments.
Would you use the template guides on a regular basis?
Never considered using template guides especially the 40mm guide.
Sounds like a graet idea and i will use them on a regular basis.
Tom

soundman
4th April 2002, 03:26 PM
In my workshop one of my routers permanently has a guide bush in it. The template guide is indespensible in my work building speaker boxes and equipment cases. Particularly powerfull in production work. I have a shelf full of templates which certanly earn their keep.
I would have to agree that many woodworkers have not become aquanted with template guides both amateur and professional.
I would say that 50% of my router work uses a guide. How about you others, what are you missing.
Big tip
Always make your templates big enough to support your router base properly.
And always moove around your template in the correct direction.

lad
8th January 2003, 11:00 PM
May I please have what every one else wants
[email protected]

Driver
8th January 2003, 11:34 PM
Tom

I'd appreciate a copy too. Word doc is fine. Thanks
[email protected]

Tom O Donnell
9th January 2003, 01:07 AM
May I please have what every one else wants
[email protected]
Lad Most of the material is available at www.wa1.quik.com.au/tomodonn (http://www.wa1.quik.com.au/tomodonn)

Tom

Garry Szakacs
10th January 2003, 04:39 PM
May I, Me too please... .doc would be fine
[email protected]
thankz

Al Burdon
11th January 2003, 02:31 PM
Can I have the same as everyone else
Word.doc is fine

Al

Tom O Donnell
11th January 2003, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by Al Burdon:
Can I have the same as everyone else
Word.doc is fine

Al

Most of the material yu are inquiring about can be viewed at www.wa1.quik.com.au/tomodonn (http://www.wa1.quik.com.au/tomodonn)
Tom

Tom O Donnell
11th January 2003, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by Garry Szakacs:
May I, Me too please... .doc would be fine
[email protected]
thankz
Garry
Take a look at www.wa1.quik.com.au/tomodonn (http://www.wa1.quik.com.au/tomodonn) this may answer your question and keep in touch.
I have to confess it is a revolutionary method of using the router. Not my quote but from someone in the publishing game.
Tom

Erik
13th January 2003, 01:41 PM
I would be grateful for the Word document. [email protected]

With Thanks

Erik

RETIRED
13th January 2003, 05:25 PM
Gooday.

How many times does Tom have to say to check out his link. Download the info from there.

You have more patience than me Tom http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif