PDA

View Full Version : Spalted Blue Keyaki Rough Out

Stu in Tokyo
29th July 2006, 07:47 PM
This is one of two large blanks that I have from my Logging in Tokyo (http://www.ablett.jp/workshop/woodlot.htm) adventure, biggest thing I've turned on the DVR yet, and it did it without any trouble at all! :D

The wood was in a storeage area, that got a little humid, this is spalted. This wood is the Blue Keyaki (Zelkova, a kind of Elm). The Blue stuff is very white, while the red stuff is........ah..... red... :rolleyes:

Anyways, I hope to get this one out of the DNA bath in a few days, then let it dry a while, should be good when done, unless I bugger it up somehow..... :p :o

Cheers!

more pics below.......

Stu in Tokyo
29th July 2006, 07:51 PM
..........and some more pics..........

I guess I'm going to have to buy a bigger chuck, the G3 was a tad small for this :D

..... a few more pics...

Stu in Tokyo
29th July 2006, 07:53 PM
Last ones, promise..... :rolleyes:

Well, what do you think?

Cheers!

Doughboy
29th July 2006, 07:55 PM
Sounds like you are having entirely too much fun..

What of this DNA bath?
Can you give me a list of ingredients?

Pete

TTIT
29th July 2006, 08:46 PM
Stu - For someone just starting out in turning you are way too organised with equipment that is making it far too easy for you! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: I think we should swap lathes so you can struggle a bit first! :D And no G3 for you either - just faceplates and screwchucks!;) The G3 is the perfect size for bowls like that - should be able to handle much bigger too!

Stu in Tokyo
29th July 2006, 08:53 PM
Sounds like you are having entirely too much fun..

What of this DNA bath?
Can you give me a list of ingredients?

Pete

Well that is what the Yanks call it, De-Natured Alcohol.

I had a bear of a time finding it here in Japan, when I finally did, they delivered an 18 liter can to my shop for 6300 yen ($71.55 Oz?)

Works great so far!

Cheers!

ss_11000
29th July 2006, 08:54 PM
that looks like way to much fun! :).

great work stu

Stu in Tokyo
29th July 2006, 08:56 PM
Stu - For someone just starting out in turning you are way too organised with equipment that is making it far too easy for you! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: I think we should swap lathes so you can struggle a bit first! :D And no G3 for you either - just faceplates and screwchucks!;) The G3 is the perfect size for bowls like that - should be able to handle much bigger too!

Dude, I started out on a C-man Tube bed lathe, no chuck, and I even made my own faceplate, I made most of my tools too, so while I've not struggled for years, I did start near the bottom........ actually I lie, I started on a hand drill powered lathe.....

http://www.ablett.jp/workshop/images/turnings/turning_set-up.jpg

http://www.ablett.jp/workshop/images/turnings/turning_thereabouts.jpg
That is my first turning (since high school) a stringer for a chair).

When I decide to do something, I do it! :D

Cheers!

Terry B
29th July 2006, 10:51 PM
Well that is what the Yanks call it, De-Natured Alcohol.

I had a bear of a time finding it here in Japan, when I finally did, they delivered an 18 liter can to my shop for 6300 yen ($71.55 Oz?)

Works great so far!

Cheers!
Stu
Can"t you just get metho in bottles at the Coles or Woolies equivalents?

Stu in Tokyo
29th July 2006, 11:06 PM
Stu
Can"t you just get metho in bottles at the Coles or Woolies equivalents?

Are those drug stores?

I can get it, but it is like 20% water, and it is like $10 Oz for 500 ml....:eek:

I've seen guys here use Vodka to make Shellac, because they could not find DNA....

Cheers!

Terry B
30th July 2006, 06:31 PM
Are those drug stores?

I can get it, but it is like 20% water, and it is like $10 Oz for 500 ml....:eek:

I've seen guys here use Vodka to make Shellac, because they could not find DNA....

Cheers!

No they are supermarkets. The metho here is 97% ethanol with an additive to make it taste horrible (despite this some still drink it) and about $2 for a 500ml bottle.