PDA

View Full Version : I did it

lubbing5cherubs
30th July 2006, 02:48 PM
Hi I did it I did it. My first goblet. Here it is. Only thing next time I will dig a bit deeper inside the goblet but I did it. :D :D here it is. I did remember to put something in as a size guide that is a 600ml softdrink bottle lid. Finished it with a mix of danish oil and varnish
bye Toni

Doughboy
30th July 2006, 03:18 PM
well done Toni.........

I like it... What wood did you use?........... and when can we see some more of your work?

To everyone..... I know practice makes purfect but practicing turning on 'real' wood can be rather expensive. Is there a cheap wood that is commonly used for practicing?

Pete

lubbing5cherubs
30th July 2006, 03:34 PM
Hi Pete, thanks for the compliment. As for the cheap wood see the Parks and garden on the council. or find a tree dump like a friend of mine is the local wood chipper
Toni

chrisb691
30th July 2006, 04:53 PM
Nice job Toni. :cool:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
30th July 2006, 05:07 PM
Good on ya Toni, the first one is always the hardest. :) I hope it hasn't put you off doing more.

Doughboy, Toni's spot on with cheap wood. Old fenceposts and house stumps are a good source of red-gum or bloodwood... the older they are, though, the more I prefer to keep 'em for "serious" work. KDHW scraps (usually Tas Oak) from building sites are often handy sizes, too. And we can't forget the traditional skip-diving...

Radiata's the cheapest of all, of course, but is a nasty wood to turn. By the same token, it's useful for practicing finishing cuts! If you can turn radiata and make it look good, you're doing well. Mind you, I often start my "apprentices" on KDHW and, once they start getting cocky, give 'em a piece of radiata. Brings 'em back to earth pronto! ;)

Basically: for cheap wood... scavenge, scavenge, scavenge! :D

cedar n silky
30th July 2006, 08:05 PM
Well done Toni:) I haven't tried a goblet yet- your going for the lot aren't you;)
As for practice timber, you can't go past Camphor Laurel. duoghboy!
But maybe you don't have much down Canberra way. Plenty up this way!!:eek:

lubbing5cherubs
30th July 2006, 10:00 PM
camphor laurel. One day i love to get some of that to try
Toni

Farnk
30th July 2006, 11:09 PM
Nice work Toni!

Every year, I turn a set of three similar items to use as trophies at our cup day barbeque. I like to give this sort of form a go because I find that getting the proportions right can be a bit of a challenge.

As for cheap wood, the trip in and from work through the suburbs usually sees me paying too much attention to tree surgeons, etc at work on the route. I've got a fairly big shed and so have room to store the peices while they dry.

As a relative newby to the craft however, this often leaves me at a loss as to what the timber is that i'm turning at the time!

I've been meaning to call some of the local tree surgeons to see if they are happy to put some peices away if they encounter anything interesting.

TTIT
30th July 2006, 11:40 PM
camphor laurel. One day i love to get some of that to try
Toni

Great goblet Toni :D Just a guess - would that be Albizia you used???

If you come to the coast via Emerald at all, PM me and I'll give you some Camphor to try.

Gil Jones
31st July 2006, 09:33 AM
Nice work on your first goblet, Toni!!

lubbing5cherubs
31st July 2006, 10:18 AM
Thanks TITT, I will definitely remember that and if I am down that way I will PM you.

The wood I used for my goblet was some blackwood. I bought
Toni

Hickory
31st July 2006, 10:34 AM
Corn Gradulations !!! Looks like a fine Goblet to me. I have seen several that make dimpled lumps and call them goblets. Yours looks fine. Given som confidence , no telling what fine detail you may produce.

Wild Dingo
31st July 2006, 10:41 AM
Well done Toni!! :cool:

I havent given the gooblets a go yet but will do soon ;)

use camphor lauren as a "practice" timber?? YEEE GODS MAN ARE YOU MAD!!! :eek: and here Ive been saving it all for that perfect day when all things at Dingo Creek are just right the sun is in the heavens the birds are pharting the right way to the wind and everyones out before I touch it... and you use it as practice timber?... well I never!! :rolleyes: will wonders ever cease? ;)

Im sorta hoarding it like the huon mmmm maybe I should mutter curse and just whack some on?? mmmm could be the go! :cool:

TTIT
31st July 2006, 01:46 PM
use camphor lauren as a "practice" timber?? YEEE GODS MAN ARE YOU MAD!!! :eek: and here Ive been saving it all for that perfect day when all things at Dingo Creek are just right the sun is in the heavens the birds are pharting the right way to the wind and everyones out before I touch it... and you use it as practice timber?... well I never!! :rolleyes: will wonders ever cease? ;)

Im sorta hoarding it like the huon mmmm maybe I should mutter curse and just whack some on?? mmmm could be the go! :cool:
Dingo - you sound a lot like me - always saving that special lump for that special project - and all you end up with is a shed full of special lumps!!!!;)
Gotta kick myself in the ass now and again to remind myself that I collected them to turn them - no other reason! :D

cedar n silky
31st July 2006, 10:35 PM
I'll swap you some camphor for some of your huon. How's that for a deal!;)
Seriously though, camphor thrives up this way, especially around the Macadamia growing belt of volcanic red soil in Northern NSW.
Amazingly though, the borers love it. Especially the sap wood, so keep an eye on it if you are hanging onto it, other wise it might get eaten!! :eek:

rowie
1st August 2006, 12:14 AM
very nice Toni straight to the pool room!

Touchwood
1st August 2006, 11:06 PM
:) Nice work Toni, this is my first effort - we had to do scale versions, did the soft drink bottle lid trick so you can see size! The little one was a challenge!
Jenny

lubbing5cherubs
1st August 2006, 11:47 PM
beautiful set great feeling hey?
Toni