PDA

View Full Version : July Pen Gallery

dazzler
31st July 2006, 07:21 PM
Hi All

Okay, tomorrow is the first of the months so start uploading your pics.

cheers

dazzler:D

chrisb691
31st July 2006, 08:30 PM
Okay so don't all rush in, and post. So I guess that leaves me as first up. :o

Oh well!! I tried to use all the bits that Dazzler sent, and used up the 4 tiny bits for the bands. Learnt heaps along the way. Made even more mistakes along the way, but enjoyed the learning curve.

EDIT: Thanks to all involved.

lubbing5cherubs
31st July 2006, 08:54 PM
Here is my efforts..
:cool:
Bye Toni

chrisb691
31st July 2006, 09:18 PM
Nice pens Toni. :cool:

lubbing5cherubs
31st July 2006, 09:22 PM
I love yours too. What did you use to cut the up? I only have a scroll saw at this stage not real successful as I cut cock eye to do reglue ups
Toni

ss_11000
31st July 2006, 09:24 PM
bl**dy hell chris, those are excellent!!!!!!!
and i really like toni's huon one. well i like both but i like the huon better :) ( and i saw em on wr and tps as well.)
well done to all.

i will post piccies of my key rings tommorow and of my stuffed up pens ( laminating doesn't like me :eek: )

chrisb691
31st July 2006, 09:36 PM
I love yours too. What did you use to cut the up? I only have a scroll saw at this stage not real successful as I cut cock eye to do reglue ups
Toni

I bought one of the cheap hand mitre saws from Bunnings, about $28 if I remember right. I knocked up a false fence for it, using two bits of 300 X 75 X 12 pine, which I clamped on. Then set a up a stop block. They cut surprisingly well (and fairly accurately), and the extra fence means that you get a zero clearance guide for the sawblade. :cool:

Tassie Boy
31st July 2006, 10:30 PM
Well here are my efforts.
I was planing on using the myrtle pieces as end caps but they split while i was drilling them:mad:

The onw with the small rings of sassy i will keep because it has a few imperfections:rolleyes: you may be a ble to see the small crack...
I used a makita drop saw to cut the angles(11.25o).

Any way it was a fun project and i had fun doing my first segmented pens..
Cheers

lubbing5cherubs
31st July 2006, 10:47 PM
Still looks quite great to me. You did well..
Feeling quite the odd bod here. Any one else just plain?
Toni

lubbing5cherubs
31st July 2006, 10:47 PM
Still looks quite great to me. You did well..
Feeling quite the odd bod here. Any one else just plain?
Toni

Sir Stinkalot
31st July 2006, 10:52 PM
Ok here are mine .... fresh off the lathe tonight :D Nothing like leaving it to the last minute.

Fortunate enough to get 2 from 2.

Great contrast in timber, I usually don't like the Huon for pens but teamed with the Sassafras it comes up a treat.

Great theme as well, I have never really tried segmented turning ..... and I need some practise.

Look forward to seeing some more efforts ..... ohh

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a114/Sir_Stinkalot2525/HuonSass.jpg

Finish - Shellawax glow.

Tassie Boy
31st July 2006, 10:56 PM
great pens Sir Stinky..
did you use a scroll saw for cuting up your blanks?
i love that curved design..

Sir Stinkalot
31st July 2006, 11:03 PM
Yep .... cut up on the old GMC scrollsaw.

Simply stack the two blanks on top of one another with some double sided tape and then cut a wave design. The obviously swap the two blanks and glue.

I experimented with some other blanks before trying these two blanks. This included the above method, and then doing it again to get four alternative colours. The two worked the best.

Something that I will be experimenting again with in the future.

Touchwood
31st July 2006, 11:17 PM
Hi,
just new to this forum stuff, but would love to be involved with the pen turning idea. Can new chums join in?

Love the wave design - my pens tend to be less spectacular than that!

chrisb691
31st July 2006, 11:20 PM
Nice job Sir Stinky.

chrisb691
31st July 2006, 11:22 PM
Toni

Toni

Bit of a stutter there Toni. ;)

dazzler
31st July 2006, 11:52 PM
Well they are unreal:eek:

Mine are very sad by comparison...will post tomorrow, unless I jump under a bus :rolleyes:

fantastic work

dazzler

Skewpid
1st August 2006, 12:07 AM
Ok .. here go's nuffin . .

Introducing .. my very first segmented pens . .

Im so impressed by everyone elses so far! Well done Stinky, oh and great poses for the pens! .. Do catalogues hey? . .lol

Oh, and for some reason, my sassafras didnt turn out as dark as all the others. Oh well, had a ball and looking forward to the next swap.

Rich.

PS .. did manage to glue up a third from the bits left over but, alas .. dint make the cut.

Touchwood
1st August 2006, 12:24 AM
Where do you source your pen kits from with the bobble on the clip? I seem to only find the straight, slim line ones here in the West.

Jenny

lubbing5cherubs
1st August 2006, 12:24 AM
Stinky they are gorgeous. Well done. How did you get both side the same??

Rich Nice effort YOu should be proud.

Chris--NO not stuttering...It us girls...we like to be heard and the centre of attention....and all that LOL

No sorry I did not realise I had doubled up
bye Toni

lubbing5cherubs
1st August 2006, 12:26 AM
Where do you source your pen kits from with the bobble on the clip? I seem to only find the straight, slim line ones here in the West.

Jenny
Hi Jenny, Carrols woodcraft sells them and he does do postal orders. That how I get all my gear
Toni

lubbing5cherubs
1st August 2006, 12:29 AM
Hi,
just new to this forum stuff, but would love to be involved with the pen turning idea. Can new chums join in?

Love the wave design - my pens tend to be less spectacular than that!

HI Touchwood -this is the end of July pen swaps, The new one is just about to start, send a PM off to skew Chidamn..he the man for this month he is sending out the new blanks and theme..

bye Toni

Skewpid
1st August 2006, 12:33 AM

Jenny

Hi Jen,

Yup, I'll second that from Tony, go to http://www.cws.au.com/

You can order online without giving any credit card details (if like me you dont like doing that). Then Jim will ship it asap. I think most of the guys here get their stuff from him.

Rich.

Oh .. the bobble clips are type 1C

DJ’s Timber
1st August 2006, 12:39 AM
Hi Jenny, Carrols woodcraft sells them and he does do postal orders. That how I get all my gear
Toni

In regard to this pen, known as Pen 1C which is here http://cws-store.yahoostore.com.au/cgi/index.cgi/shopfront/view_by_category?category_id=1107145398

I was at the shop on Friday (28/7) and Jim is unfortunately out of stock at the moment for this pen due to it being very popular. Was advised that he would not have any more in till about the end of August

Cheers DJ

Touchwood
1st August 2006, 01:16 AM
Thanks for all the replies - have been busy looking at the site and will give the 'card' a good workout!
A pity work gets in the way of 'playing' in the shed:p
Jenny

Skew ChiDAMN!!
1st August 2006, 01:46 AM
'Eres my doovers.

The one with the b/w laminated band is being rebuilt; changing the B&W band to a huon/sass one. Just waiting on the glue... :rolleyes:

lubbing5cherubs
1st August 2006, 02:51 AM
Hey Skew, Nice job, I love one with the tail. Great thought there
bye Toni

By the way JENNY welcome to the board
Toni

Jim Carroll
1st August 2006, 09:09 AM
Great to see so many variations on the one theme.

This will make it harder next time to come up with something original.

Congratulations to all.

dazzler
1st August 2006, 06:24 PM
Hi

Here are mine. My first was supposed to be his backbone with stripes down the sides but looks more like a prop from 'Braveheart':p

Second was my 'understated', Zebra hiding behind two big sticks style:p

cheers

fantastic work again eveyone:)

cheeers

dazzler

dazzler
1st August 2006, 06:25 PM
'Eres my doovers.

The one with the b/w laminated band is being rebuilt; changing the B&W band to a huon/sass one. Just waiting on the glue... :rolleyes:

Zebra or skew beard:confused: :D for the tail

Skew ChiDAMN!!
1st August 2006, 07:28 PM
I thought about bearding it, but decided the idea was to make it look reasonably decent... not scare away kiddies. :D

At first 'twas gonna be bristles from an old finish brush, 'cept when I went looking 'twas stuck in the bottom of a jar. I sorta got sidetracked at cleanup time last w/end. :o Running around in a panic (wasn't gonna chop up a new brush!) I found a cheap'n'nasty plastic hearth brush; the bristles don't feel as nice, very coarse :rolleyes: but were the perfect colour...

lubbing5cherubs
1st August 2006, 07:49 PM
Well at least there be no chewing on the end of it. It will tickle them. :)
bye Toni

ss_11000
1st August 2006, 09:53 PM
well done guys.....i especially like stinky's pens.

i'll get pics asap. the other computers in use.

Sir Stinkalot
1st August 2006, 10:15 PM
I was at the shop on Friday (28/7) and Jim is unfortunately out of stock at the moment for this pen due to it being very popular. Was advised that he would not have any more in till about the end of August Cheers DJ

Lucky that I put my order in for 5 packs on the Thursday 27/7 and they arrived the next day :p

All the pens look great so far ..... I was a little unsure about the "theme" idea at the start but it has worked really well. It is interesting to see the different variations and there are a few there that I would be interested in trying in the future.

Tassie Boy
1st August 2006, 10:15 PM
Well done guys and gals ..
so when do we vote for the winner??

dazzler
1st August 2006, 11:06 PM
Hi

Voting starts on Friday 0800 ends Sunday 1600:D

Sir Stinkalot
1st August 2006, 11:16 PM
Only 7 of 12 photos so far .....

What are we voting for?

fxst
1st August 2006, 11:18 PM
dunno if I should but what the hey here are my attempts I am not very arty minded unfortunatly but they got stripes :D
Pete

Sir Stinkalot
1st August 2006, 11:27 PM
Good use of the myrtle Pete .... how did you cut the mortice to fit the timber into?

fxst
1st August 2006, 11:33 PM
Good use of the myrtle Pete .... how did you cut the mortice to fit the timber into?

trusty ol scrollsaw mate same tool as used by you with that brilliant design ...I have added it to my memory banks ...hope ya dont mind.hope I can remember :D
Pete

lubbing5cherubs
2nd August 2006, 01:07 AM
Pete nice Job, got more artistic then mine.
by TOni

Fireman sam
2nd August 2006, 06:16 PM
just trying to get pictures up .having trouble trying to work camera out so will take picture small enough to let me post it so far all to big getting frustrated
Andrew

lubbing5cherubs
2nd August 2006, 07:02 PM
Hi Fireman,
WHen I first started here Cliff told me about this program it smaller it so you can upload it real easy
here is his letter

go here...
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/d...powertoys.mspx (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx)

find the link on the right hand size to the Image Resizer & down load it & install it.

It loads as a menu item on your right click button so all you have to do is piont to the pic where you stored it on your hard drive, right click & choose Resize.
It will ask you what size you want to make it, pick the smallest.
It is very good, it will knock out all the hi-res info & leave the picture at the same viewable size on the screen.
Most pics end up smaller than BB 100Kb limit.
Now all you have to do is up load the pic with the word (small) behind it.
Easy. ;) :D
http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/statusicon/user_offline.gif http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/button2/reputation.gif (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/reputation.php?p=325204) http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/button2/report.gif (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/report.php?p=325204)

Fireman sam
2nd August 2006, 08:13 PM
thanks very much Lubbing5cherubs for the link i probably would still be trying to post the pictures this time next week with out much luck if not for your help
Andrew:rolleyes:

lubbing5cherubs
2nd August 2006, 08:34 PM
Beautiful Andrew. Where did you get number 1 kitThe one on the sassafras one from? You did well with the pens..
As for the help..NO problem. I am Glad I could help you out
Toni

Fireman sam
2nd August 2006, 08:42 PM
the pen kits come from Gary Pye wood turning suplies the parts model is PRK 401 ;)
Andrew

lubbing5cherubs
2nd August 2006, 10:00 PM
thanks

dazzler
2nd August 2006, 10:03 PM
thanks very much Lubbing5cherubs for the link i probably would still be trying to post the pictures this time next week with out much luck if not for your help
Andrew:rolleyes:

Hey fireman

You must have modelled yours on the same two trees as mine:p

cheers

ss_11000
2nd August 2006, 10:34 PM
well done guys.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
3rd August 2006, 04:27 AM
Considering that a few of us have never tried laminating a pen before, all I can say is... Great job!

I've looked through the pix several times and every time I do, I decide that another pen is my favourite. :rolleyes: Can I vote for 'em all? :confused:

Doughboy
3rd August 2006, 07:31 AM
:p hey toni

Thankyou for posting the link about the photo resizer. It works a treat.:p ;)

Pete

lubbing5cherubs
3rd August 2006, 08:52 AM
No Problem but it was Cliff Rogers who showed me. I just know how helpful it been to me so I reposted it again here for us
Toni

DJ’s Timber
3rd August 2006, 06:29 PM
G'day Folks

After finally getting my camera back from my brother, I can post my picture. I only have one pen at this stage cause half of one pen is lost in amongst the crud on the floor.

Cheers DJ

lubbing5cherubs
3rd August 2006, 06:31 PM
neat Job..Looks good
Toni

Fireman sam
3rd August 2006, 06:50 PM
all the pens are looking good and some people have a good imagination as to the theme of the pens it is making me think
WHERE ARE THE PICTURES STIRLO STILL WAITING :eek: :cool: :rolleyes:
Andrew

lubbing5cherubs
3rd August 2006, 06:54 PM
He's packed his bluey and left camp.
Toni

ss_11000
3rd August 2006, 07:15 PM
WHERE ARE THE PICTURES STIRLO STILL WAITING :eek: :cool: :rolleyes:
Andrew

here they are mate.

piccies are of stuffed up bits and of two huon keyrings, the shorter one with a bit of sass laminated to it..... i couldn't find most of the sass pen.

once again, sorry guys for not being able to get a pen out of it.

Fireman sam
3rd August 2006, 07:25 PM
very good work they look great welcome back:) :) :) ;) ;) ;)
Andrew

lubbing5cherubs
3rd August 2006, 07:26 PM
least you still got something from it... Don't be sorry. It happens.. i know it happens to me anyway
bye Toni

ss_11000
3rd August 2006, 07:27 PM
He's packed his bluey and left camp.
Toni

:confused: :confused: :confused:

chrisb691
3rd August 2006, 09:10 PM
here they are mate.

piccies are of stuffed up bits and of two huon keyrings, the shorter one with a bit of sass laminated to it..... i couldn't find most of the sass pen.

Hmmm. That pen seems to have exploded. I reckon Dazzler set you up, and soaked your blanks in nitroglycerine overnight. :eek:

I like the little fat keyring. :cool:

DJ’s Timber
3rd August 2006, 10:02 PM
here they are mate.

G'day Stirlo

Don't know if you already do this, but I always sand the pen tube with some 120 grit s/paper before glueing into the pen blank to give something for the glue to bond to, as glue dosen't like polished surfaces

Otherwise you did well to recover from what you had left over

Cheers DJ

ss_11000
3rd August 2006, 10:21 PM
G'day Stirlo

Don't know if you already do this, but I always sand the pen tube with some 120 grit s/paper before glueing into the pen blank to give something for the glue to bond to, as glue dosen't like polished surfaces

Otherwise you did well to recover from what you had left over

Cheers DJ

yeah i knew that but its always good to get a reminder.:) anyway, i had a look at the inside after it had split and i think the glue wasn't spread around evenly.:o

DJ’s Timber
4th August 2006, 12:07 PM
Oh and one thing I forgot to mention is to use thick superglue as the thin stuff is soaked up by the wood to much

Cheers DJ

Skew ChiDAMN!!
4th August 2006, 05:10 PM
Dare I say it again? 2-part Epoxy! :D

Tassie Boy
4th August 2006, 07:51 PM
Dare I say it again? 2-part Epoxy! :D

As in araldite?

chrisb691
4th August 2006, 08:33 PM
As in araldite?

That's the stuff. Works well, and is gap filling. :)

Skew ChiDAMN!!
4th August 2006, 08:42 PM
Yup. I prefer the 15-min or "long-term" stuff, the 5-min epoxy goes off too quickly to do multiple pens. Either way, it's best to leave the glued up blanks overnight just to be safe.

A quick run-down of the method I use:

Apply it evenly inside the blank (I use a chupa-chup stick :eek: ), plug the "leading edge" of the tube with some spud (optional, but saves mill work later) and roll that end in the araldite. I only glue the one end of the tube so I can hang onto the other end without being covered in cr@p. ;) Then "screw" the tube into the blank to ensure even glue distribution. Any excess is squeezed out onto the blank ends, so I simply use an offcut to scrape it off and add it back to the mix for the next pen.

lIt has been a long time since I've had a blamk "explode" on me like Stirlo... crack, yes, but it stays on the tube so I can decide whether to try and hide the booboo or recycle the tube...

DJ’s Timber
5th August 2006, 09:10 AM
Hi

Voting starts on Friday 0800 ends Sunday 1600:D

So where do we vote? Do we start a new thread with or the pictures compiled together or what?

Cheers DJ

RufflyRustic
5th August 2006, 08:10 PM
I take my UBeaut hat off to you all. You have each done a fantastic job with the pens and keyrings. I am * Totally * in awe of the different ideas and styles being shown, all following the same theme.

Congratulations!!!!!

Cheers
Wendy