PDA

View Full Version : Banksia nut wing bowl

Sir Stinkalot
31st July 2006, 11:16 PM
Ok .... I had the camera out due to the July pen swap so I thought I would photograph some of my previous work.

I had seen some plans on turning banksia nuts on the net before. This one stuck out as a little different.

I haven't done much turning and I found it difficult as 90% of the time you are turning the ghost. Oh well best to jump in at the deep end.

There are a few things that I will do differently next time but I am fairly happy for the first attempt.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a114/Sir_Stinkalot2525/Banksia2.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a114/Sir_Stinkalot2525/Banksia1.jpg

Tornatus
31st July 2006, 11:27 PM
Very special, Stinky! More of an "objet d'art" than a practical bowl, I would have thought - unless you use it to hold bananas!

Actually, you've given me something to think about, as I just read your post after contributing to another one about turning square bowls. Maybe it would be possible to embed the banksia nut in some other material, so you could turn "in the round" then separate the final form from the carrier ....mmm (thinks)

Great to see someone trying something a bit different with local materials.

Sir Stinkalot
31st July 2006, 11:31 PM
True .... it is more of an art work than a practical bowl. It can hold the mobile phone though :)

If you have an idea give it a shot ..... there is so much repetitive work out there (some done exceptionally well) that if you can do something a little different it really stands out.

TTIT
1st August 2006, 08:58 AM
Very effective variation on the Banksia nut - can't say the 'normal' way of turning them did anything for me. I like what you've done with it.:D:D:D

If it must have a use (though I'm damned if know why it should), you could drill an angled hole towards one end and call it an incence holder!!!:) Don't you hate it when you turn something merely to please the eye and show off the material and the first mug that picks it up says "What's it for?". Just wanna thump the twits!:mad:

RufflyRustic
1st August 2006, 09:25 AM
This is outstandingly Beautiful!!!!

Cheers
Wendy

OGYT
1st August 2006, 12:33 PM
Mighty fine turning. Really nice. If it ain't practical, it must be art. That's what I hear, anyway. This'll sell. Put a good price on it. :o))

Stuart
1st August 2006, 02:01 PM
Very special, Stinky! More of an "objet d'art" than a practical bowl, I would have thought - unless you use it to hold bananas!

You'd have to jack the price right up, just so the bowl is worth more than the banana at the moment!

ss_11000
1st August 2006, 10:05 PM
cool work stinky. i cant wait to turn my first banksia nut.

ticklingmedusa
3rd August 2006, 08:16 AM
Someone just gave me 2 large banksia pods.
How do you chuck them?
tm

OGYT
3rd August 2006, 09:45 AM
tm, I've only turned one. Mounted it endwise between centers, and turned a spigot on one end. Then mounted it in the chuck.
You could also mount it between centers, perpendicular to the bedways, and turn a spigot or dovetail for the chuck.
Just have to watch the ends.:eek:
The Banksia Pod is extremely brittle. Sharp tools and light cuts, I finally learned, work best. I broke out some small parts of it between seed holes before I learned that. :mad: Also, I'd use the highest speed I could and still be relatively safe.

hughie
4th August 2006, 10:50 AM
I've only turned one. Mounted it endwise between centers, and turned a spigot on one end. Then mounted it in the chuck.
You could also mount it between centers, perpendicular to the bedways, and turn a spigot or dovetail for the chuck.
Just have to watch the ends.:eek:
The Banksia Pod is extremely brittle. Sharp tools and light cuts, I finally learned, work best. I broke out some small parts of it between seed holes before I learned that. :mad: Also, I'd use the highest speed I could and still be relatively safe.
[/quote]

Al, that sounds like the way to go, rumour has it your importing your own pods now ;) .
At least the Oneway will have the stability an speed you need for pods. Have you re-enforced the floor in the shop yet? Dont wanna do the Oneway two step.:D

hughie
4th August 2006, 10:54 AM
well done sir, belatedly. Given the medium its a good composition.

Purpleheart
5th August 2006, 10:42 PM
This is outstandingly Beautiful!!!!

Cheers
Wendy

Yep, I agree.

That is just the thing to sit on the bedside table, so the missus can put her ear-rings on it, or other small items of jewellery. Its definately functional.

Doing something different is the way to stand out in the crowd, and thats different !!

CHeers...