PDA

View Full Version : Baby rattle finishing question

lubbing5cherubs
2nd August 2006, 01:16 AM
Hi today I been asked can I make a baby rattle, My question what is a non toxic finish that bubby can chew on without making it sick. Because I know first hand everything bubby has is in the mouth.
Bye Toni

OGYT
2nd August 2006, 02:05 AM
Paraffin and Mineral Oil make a safe, non-toxic finish. I put about a half cup of Mineral Oil in a small (1/2 pint) jar, in a pan of water. Try to keep the heat to just under a roiling boil. Then I put in about 2 Tablespoons of grated paraffin. Let it melt, and stir with an ice cream stick.
Then I'd warm the rattle, and put on the hot oil mixture, and let it cool to room temp. Buff off the excess stuff, and it's done.
Someone else may have a better idea... :o)

Gil Jones
2nd August 2006, 02:19 AM
That sounds OK, Al. Maybe use bees wax?
Toni, if it were I, the rattle/toy would be turned at least 44+mm diameter, so baby could not get it inside its mouth. I would worry about choking on the rattle, or on a part of it that either broke off, or baby chewed off (when teeth come in). Here is a cool baby rattle plan >> http://www.woodturner.org/products/aw/babyrattle_fall04.pdf

ubeaut
2nd August 2006, 02:45 AM
SHELLAWAX (http://www.ubeaut.com.au/shell.html) is 100% safe (once the solvents have evaporated) all ingredients can be found in use for polishing such things as M&M's, pharmaceutical coatings, apples and much more.

Mineral Oil (paraffin oil as it's commonly known here in Oz) is safe, yes, but it is also used as a laxative so I'm pretty well sure I wouldn't be putting it on a babies rattle especially as it is a non drying oil. Most other oils can go rancid and quite toxic.

Most waxes are also fine for this use but they naturally attract dirt and grime to their surface especially when warmed by the hands.

I would also look very carefully at the timber you use as many of them can be a lot more unsuitable for bubs than the finish, some are toxic and many contain oils etc that I wouldn't want to see a child putting in their mouth.

Cheers - Neil :)

Skew ChiDAMN!!
2nd August 2006, 02:54 AM
Gotta agree with Neil; for a baby's rattle I wouldn't use oil.

I'd have said a good beeswax/carnauba combo but Shellawax would be easier to apply. I've never tried it, so I'm a bit curious about his statement "once the solvents have evaporated" ... like... how long would this take?

ubeaut
2nd August 2006, 02:57 AM
Few minutes. You can chew it but don't drink it!

Solvents are pure alcohol and about 5% turpentine.

Hickory
2nd August 2006, 03:54 AM
I have made several Baby rattles and I always use Mineral Oil as the finish. I also add a bit of Pariffin. Soak the Pariffin in the oil and it disolves. Then take the oil/wax mixture and soak the piece then rub briskly with a soft cotton cloth, A coupole of applications and a gentile luster will apear.

The Mineral Oil is available at local Pharmacy as well as the Pariffin which is used as a seal for canning and such.

Gill that is a great rattle project. I'll try them for the "one on the way" next granddaughter. As for the Mineral Oil giving them the runs, All babies have the runs all the time (thats what they do best) but I don't think the oil in the wood has any effect on them. I have used it on each of my Grandkids with no ill effects. The oil will dry and glaze over if you add additional Pariffin.

Each of my kids have their own keepsakes Rattle, complete with teeth marks. (Grandson #1 stayed Constipated all the time and I'm sure his mom would have loved a little lubrication from time to time if the Mineral Oil leeched out.)

Happy amateur
2nd August 2006, 06:24 AM
I have made a few baby rattles from wood.
Used beech. When finished sanding, Wet it to raise the grain. and sanded again. Why use any finish. If and when it is chewed as it will be, the finish will probably be removed.

Fred.

lubbing5cherubs
2nd August 2006, 09:39 AM
Well then what kind of wood would be best? Never crossed my mind about the wood. The finish did. Because I am going to make 2. As I am going to be an auntie again..Give me bubba...give me bubbas.. This girl goes to heaven..Hmm perhaps that why we stopped at 5.. anyway now I am getting sidetracked... I was going to make her soemthing special too.
Toni

TTIT
2nd August 2006, 01:04 PM
Well then what kind of wood would be best? .
Toni

Toni - I don't know what else you have there but make sure you don't use your Dad's Gidgee - very nasty!:(

hughie
2nd August 2006, 01:54 PM
Toni, if it were I, the rattle/toy would be turned at least 44+mm diameter, so baby could not get it inside its mouth. I would worry about choking on the rattle, or on a part of it that either broke off, or baby chewed off (when teeth come in). Here is a cool baby rattle plan >> http://www.woodturner.org/products/aw/babyrattle_fall04.pdf
[/QUOTE]

Gil, Thanks for the link, :) darn good rattle it'l come in handy as the first Grandchild has arrived. Next thing some research on suitable timber

Your a regular fountain of info, very handy

Gil Jones
2nd August 2006, 02:44 PM
I would think that a hard, or rock, Maple (or maybe Birch) would be fairly neutral, but I have just those “guesses”. Due those species grow way down yonder?

Bruce101
2nd August 2006, 05:13 PM
I have made a few baby rattles from wood.
Used beech. When finished sanding, Wet it to raise the grain. and sanded again. Why use any finish. If and when it is chewed as it will be, the finish will probably be removed.

Fred.

Careful!!!

According to a reference book I have in front of me (WOOD for woodturners by Mark Baker - Guilf of Master Craftsman Publicatons Ltd)
all of the Beech's listed have "Possible Health Risks" and one or moore of the following i.e. Dermatitis, eye irritation, decrease in lung function and rare incidence of nasal cancer.

Without going through them all Red Gum has no known problems listed. (If you can get Red Gum). Maple warning only lists possible health risks as "Dust May Effect Lung Function" but I assume this is a warning for wood turners, and I assume he/she has not caught this bug yet.

ALSO

Copy of email (in part) from Gilly Stephensons on an enquiry from me on this subject.

The Carnauba Polish is wonderful as a finishing polish but it does contain some turpentine - however we find as it is emulsified it is not a lot of turpentine and as far as we have surmised from other users we think the small amount must evaporate like alcohol does when it is cooked, as no one seems to have any problems with it.

If you are very conscious about it our Orange Oil is completely non toxic but it will be more of a satin finish than the gloss you can achieve with the Carnauba Polish.

All the best with your bowls

Regards

Alice Platt

GILLY STEPHENSON'S WAXES & POLISHES
www.gillystephenson.com (http://www.gillystephenson.com)

Hope this helps.
Bruce

ozwinner
2nd August 2006, 06:35 PM
Hi today I been asked can I make a baby rattle,

Why would you want to make a baby rattle, goo, ahh maybe, but rattle?

Al :confused: :p

cypher
3rd August 2006, 07:22 AM
I would suggest walnut oil. it leaves good finish and you can drink it stright from the bottle and it will cause no harm as it is a natural nut oil. As long as the baby is not alegeric to walnuts. I made a rattle for my son and it works great. it does have a darker color so i may discolor the wood slightly. they also make a walnut oil wax. tried both, same results.

Touchwood
3rd August 2006, 10:02 PM
Ecowood oil - Wood wipe is a citrus and nut blend for chopping boards and is called food safe. I would imagine that this could also be an alternative.

A good site to look at wood characteristics - hazards:
www.ubeaut.com.au/badwood.htm

Jenny

robatman
20th October 2006, 11:54 AM
Hi Toni,
how did it go.
I am thinking of doing a rattle for my new son (12 wks) and would like to know what wood you settled on, design, and if you filled it- how did you plug it back up!.

Robert

Wild Dingo
20th October 2006, 01:30 PM

Gill what other little treasures have you got snuffled away over there? ;) I think maybe there should be a thread with pdf files in it Neil? you know a list like in "the best of ubeaut" with such as Gil has posted... great idea eh? ;)

rsser
20th October 2006, 04:20 PM
Yeah, I'd just go for a safe wood and no finish. Maybe a pine?

On the other hand, when bub is fretting, maybe soak the rattle in Phenergan :D (just joking).

On the other other hand, soak it in good sipping whisky and save it for yourself :p

soundman
20th October 2006, 07:11 PM
If you can friction polish all the parts.... as said before I wouldn't go past slellawax.

If you have to hand finish... straight old shelac would be the go.
Hell they have been using it for years to coat tablets.
A dip in realy weak shelac would seal up all the grain & make it easier to clean.

cheers

lubbing5cherubs
21st October 2006, 11:37 AM
Hi Toni,
how did it go.
I am thinking of doing a rattle for my new son (12 wks) and would like to know what wood you settled on, design, and if you filled it- how did you plug it back up!.

Robert

Hi Robert, Have not yet started bubby is only due in December so I must start soon
Toni

bitingmidge
21st October 2006, 12:00 PM
Inspired by Gil's plans above, I'm going to pull out a bit of New Guinea Rosewood I have lying round, and use Shellawax!

How long have I got till he's too big for a rattle?

:D :D :D
P

lubbing5cherubs
21st October 2006, 12:52 PM
Then you can turn it into a handle with elastic string attached to a ball. Called it transitional..Rattle that they don't outgrow. LOL :-)
Toni