PDA

View Full Version : AUGUST Pen Swap

Pages : [1] 2 3

Skew ChiDAMN!!
2nd August 2006, 03:42 AM
OK, the blanks are all bundled and awaiting postage in the morning. Despite the earnest assistance of some little 'uns. :rolleyes:

The theme? Harlequin (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harlequin)

You should receive 3 blanks this time, Red-gum, Pittosperum and Purpleheart. Only the two pens need to be made and you don't have to use all 3 blanks. Keep one for later, if you wish.

Why three? Originally I was going to send the P/Heart & Pittosperum, so they were what I prepped. Then I realised that although the P/heart is perfectly OK for pens, some of our newer members may be a bit wary about drilling it as it's a thin blank. Sorry, but that's the thickest I got. So, basically I threw in the redgum to give y'all a choice but left the P/heart in the bundle so that those who haven't seen it before can see what the fuss is about.

If you haven't turned P/heart before, don't be surprised when it goes brown as you turn it. It tends to go a darker brown with heat (ie. sanding/finishing) and that's OK... just put the finished item in the sun for a while (how long depends on where you are... from a few hours to a coupla days) and the UV will turn it purple. Don't forget to turn it over. ;)

If you're after a bright purple, then try not to heat the pen too much when turning/finishing. Personally, I like the darker purples, but... [shrug]

lubbing5cherubs
2nd August 2006, 10:16 AM
Thanks Skewy, Sounds nice I have seen purple heart but never seen pittosperum. Interesting..Also a big thanks for the link to meaning. So much for not coming up with a great theme. You did well...Now brain can begin thinking ideas. Have a practise play too if I want
bye Toni

Skewpid
2nd August 2006, 04:39 PM
Awaiting the mail with great anticipation

Fireman sam
2nd August 2006, 06:49 PM
Thanks skew sounds interesting.:confused:
Andrew

Stuart
2nd August 2006, 09:26 PM
Any chance of joining in? Or am I too late :(

lubbing5cherubs
2nd August 2006, 09:31 PM
Send a PM to Skew chidamn He will let you know. He is who is sending out this month
Toni

dazzler
2nd August 2006, 10:01 PM
Any chance of joining in? Or am I too late :(

Aint no orange here triton boy:p ;) :D

Stuart
2nd August 2006, 10:26 PM
:D Don't need orange to make pens (although the superjaws is great for assembly)

Fireman sam
2nd August 2006, 10:35 PM
There is nothing wrong with assembly a pen on a set of supper jaws:confused:
Andrew

ss_11000
2nd August 2006, 10:39 PM
sounds good skew, waiting to see some purple heart.

Stuart
2nd August 2006, 10:40 PM
That's what I said. I find the Superjaws are great, as both hands are free to support the pen while it is pressed together. Why? Do you think different Andrew?

chrisb691
2nd August 2006, 10:46 PM
Heh Stirlo...where's your pictures?

Fireman sam
2nd August 2006, 10:50 PM
no i assemble my with a set of supper jaws the best thing i have:)
Andrew

lubbing5cherubs
2nd August 2006, 10:54 PM
Heh Stirlo...where's your pictures?
You keeping him to his word hey??
Toni:) :p

Fireman sam
2nd August 2006, 10:59 PM
Heh stirlo
we want to see your pictures :rolleyes:
Andrew

chrisb691
2nd August 2006, 11:02 PM
STIRRRRRRLLLLLLLLO WHERE AAARRRRRRE YOU?

chrisb691
2nd August 2006, 11:04 PM
You keeping him to his word hey??
Toni:) :p

Yup. ;)

Tassie Boy
2nd August 2006, 11:09 PM
Sounds like fun Skew ... i cant wait to see some purpleheart!!!

ohhh yeh Stirlo how those piccies mate??????
Dylan

chrisb691
2nd August 2006, 11:13 PM
ohhh yeh Stirlo how those piccies mate??????
Dylan
Welcome to the stir Stirlo show. :D :D :D :D :D :D

Sir Stinkalot
2nd August 2006, 11:18 PM
Has Stirlo come through with those photos yet?

Stuart
2nd August 2006, 11:46 PM
Past his bed time.

lubbing5cherubs
3rd August 2006, 01:00 PM
Hey I have another question for you guys. Can if you want to add different woods to the blank or can it be only out of the materials sent??
Thanks Toni

chrisb691
3rd August 2006, 01:40 PM
No cheating. Just use what you get, otherwise we can't compare efforts fairly. Well that's my opinion, but who cares <sniff>. :)

Skew ChiDAMN!!
3rd August 2006, 04:10 PM
Oh, I dunno... it seems that dazler included bits of myrtle in some of the last lot, but I didn't get any. [shrug] And I'm sure I'm not the only one to make my own centre-band out of something else.

I reckon adding "extras" for detail is fine, provided that the main woods are those provided. Not that it really makes any difference in the long run... ;)

(Still waiting on Stirlo's pix. :D )

dazzler
3rd August 2006, 06:08 PM
:D Don't need orange to make pens (although the superjaws is great for assembly)

DAMN, forgot bout them.....doh:p

welcome aboard:D

Skew ChiDAMN!!
3rd August 2006, 06:58 PM
Welcome to our newest players: stuart_lees & brindOg. Your blanks are cut'n'bundled, just waiting for the PO to open in the morning. :)

The following people (in no particular order) are on the mailing list and should receive their blanks soon, soon:

chrisb691 Fireman Sam djstimber ss_11000 Tassie Boy Lubbing5Cherubs Dazzler Skewpid Sir Stinkalot fxst Touchwood stuart_lees brind0g ...oh ...and me: SkewChiDAMN!!

If you want to participate this month but aren't listed: all it takes is sending me a PM with your mailing details. Easy or what?

Reading the July Pen Swap (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=34113) will fill you in on the details and July Pen Gallery (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=35399) shows last months' results.

Oh... and the theme for August is: Harlequin (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harlequin)

DJ’s Timber
3rd August 2006, 07:32 PM
G'day Folks

I can confirm that the next batch of timber is exciting:) , I dropped into Skew's place and picked my pieces up:D last week:)
Already have some ideas running round in my head;)

Cheers DJ

ss_11000
3rd August 2006, 07:45 PM
hey guys.....piccies are up.....

Sir Stinkalot
3rd August 2006, 07:52 PM
My new blanks arrived today thankyou.

Quite fortunate as two were poking out of the wrapping and the stamps had all but fallen off ..... on the plus side I now have a 20c stamps that hasn't been marked :)

I have some ideas kicking around and am looking forward to getting started.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
3rd August 2006, 08:03 PM
Quite fortunate as two were poking out of the wrapping and the stamps had all but fallen off ..... on the plus side I now have a 20c stamps that hasn't been marked :)

Oh gawd... I was dreading that. Had some little 'uns drop in just as I started wrapping and they just HAD to give a hand. :rolleyes: So I left it all in the hands of SWMBO while I went out and played in the shed some more.

Got down to the PO, went up to the counter and pulled the bundles outta the box... then quickly bought some sticky tape instead and did some impromptu patching before queueing up again. :o Would've rewrapped 'em myself once I realised, but as I was already at the GPO...

Any stamps were applied on the other side of the counter... so ya have our conscientious PO staff to thank for the freeby. ;)

lubbing5cherubs
3rd August 2006, 08:06 PM
Oooh getting excited. So they must be in the post hey?? I can't wait. I have ideas running through my head. Hubby tells me i am mad.. It helps..LOL
toni

Skewpid
3rd August 2006, 08:29 PM
Oh gawd... :rolleyes: So I left it all in the hands of SWMBO while I went out and played in the shed some more.

. ;)

SWMBO = She who makes babies . . . outside???

Just curious . .hehe

*still awaiting Mr Posty*

Rich

chrisb691
3rd August 2006, 08:59 PM
SWMBO = She who makes babies . . . outside???

Rich

She Who's Mad Because Of...I spend too much time in the shed.

She Who's Mad Because Of...I didn't fix her whatsit.

She Who's Mad Because Of...I said I couldn't fix it without spending too much time in the shed.

She Who's Mad Because Of...I'm a smart #####.

She Who's Mad Because Of...It's the time of month.

She Who's Mad Because Of...Well...just because..... <SIGH>

lubbing5cherubs
3rd August 2006, 09:13 PM
Skewpid, I had to ask the same

She
Whom
Must
be
Obeyed

Toni

chrisb691
3rd August 2006, 09:49 PM
Got my blanks today, thanks Skew. I've never seen pupleheart before, and doesn't it look nice. Going to have to really think about how to get the best result from that.

By the way, my stamps were also hanging off. But no problem with the packaging...once I fought my way through all the tape. :D

Sir Stinkalot
3rd August 2006, 09:54 PM
No real problem with the postage or the stamps ...

Just a quick question on the purple heart ..... the peice that I received had ripples on one side like a decking timber .... what was it used / or intended for? I cant imagine a deck from purple heart $$$$$ :eek:

Touchwood
3rd August 2006, 11:49 PM
Well, talk about throwing a 'newey' in at the deep end; though have recently finsihed a pen from purple heart so welcomed the tip about the sun as I was disappointed with how dark it finished compared to the starting colour. Makes for a fantastic range of colour shavings on the floor after turning red gum, sheoak, jarrah then purple heart.

Jenny

lubbing5cherubs
4th August 2006, 12:40 AM
Well, talk about throwing a 'newey' in at the deep end; though have recently finsihed a pen from purple heart so welcomed the tip about the sun as I was disappointed with how dark it finished compared to the starting colour. Makes for a fantastic range of colour shavings on the floor after turning red gum, sheoak, jarrah then purple heart.

Jenny

Mate I am still fairly new at this turning idea.. All you can do is do your best. Don't let the theme throw you too much the whole idea is to have fun
Toni

Skewpid
4th August 2006, 01:11 AM
She Who's Mad Because Of...I spend too much time in the shed.

She Who's Mad Because Of...I didn't fix her whatsit.

She Who's Mad Because Of...I said I couldn't fix it without spending too much time in the shed.

She Who's Mad Because Of...I'm a smart #####.

She Who's Mad Because Of...It's the time of month.

She Who's Mad Because Of...Well...just because..... <SIGH>

Holy crap ... we're married to the same chic.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
4th August 2006, 01:19 AM
Just a quick question on the purple heart ..... the peice that I received had ripples on one side like a decking timber .... what was it used / or intended for? I cant imagine a deck from purple heart $$$$$ :eek:

BINGO! Yes, it's decking... it took me a while to believe it, too. Apparently it's a very durable timber for external use. [shudder]

Fortunately, I've managed to rescue a few metres from a fate worse than feet. ;)

All you can do is do your best. Don't let the theme throw you too much the whole idea is to have fun

Exactly so, Toni. Well said.

Skewpid
4th August 2006, 01:26 AM
Someone uses PH as decking ??????

They were selling rods of aprox 30x30x1000 for $25 at the WW show. Thats one expensive purple deck!

The owner didnt have a 69 Monaro too did he?

Touchwood
4th August 2006, 01:32 AM
Hey, don't get me wrong,love a good challenge -:rolleyes: the grey matter it ticking over.... roll on the weekend to 'get thee to the shed' ...
JD

lubbing5cherubs
4th August 2006, 03:55 AM
yeah me too half a lot more better than my own capability :-)
Toni

Tassie Boy
4th August 2006, 11:38 AM
I received blanks today. thanks Skew.

This will be a great experience since i havent turned any of the woods before!
The purpleheart looks amazing.
Now how the hell am i gonna get a pen to look like that guys outfit in the link you posted:rolleyes: :rolleyes: ..
Cheers, Dylan

Stuart
4th August 2006, 12:27 PM
Paint

DJ’s Timber
4th August 2006, 12:41 PM
Paint

Arrrhhhh:eek: :eek: , never

To use paint on this timber would have to be punishable:eek: :D

Cheers DJ

lubbing5cherubs
4th August 2006, 12:58 PM
your pen do what you think is right. That my 2c
Toni

Tassie Boy
4th August 2006, 07:50 PM
Paint

haha i wish it was that easy!:D

chrisb691
4th August 2006, 08:39 PM
Been getting a headache trying to figure out how to make the pens to the harlquin theme, and may have come up with a solution.

1 pen from each blank +digital photo + digital imaging = Harliquin. :D

Stuart
4th August 2006, 08:48 PM
You guys are going to have quite a head-start - I got in too late, so am still waiting for the postman.

dazzler
4th August 2006, 08:52 PM
You guys are going to have quite a head-start - I got in too late, so am still waiting for the postman.

Ayyyyyy....and the wind she blows from the south:p

lubbing5cherubs
4th August 2006, 08:59 PM
Do not worry I am still waiting on mine too and I was not late in just typical Australia Post. It will arrive. My husband thinks I am mad...Nearly right.:D
bye Toni

Skew ChiDAMN!!
4th August 2006, 09:02 PM

By a whole 2 days... my heart weeps for ya. (Can't get blood from a stone. :D) You're just down the road and will probably still pick it up before our far-N or far-W players. Good ol' snail-mail...

As for the theme: I, for one, won't be trying to duplicate the diamond pattern! Well... maybe for a third pen after the first two are done, but I won't be counting on any success! Even if 'twas my silly idea in the first place. ;)

Stuart
4th August 2006, 09:07 PM
Was doing some plotting and scheming today - interested in seeing if the idea works.

chrisb691
4th August 2006, 09:46 PM
As for the theme: I, for one, won't be trying to duplicate the diamond pattern! Well... maybe for a third pen after the first two are done, but I won't be counting on any success! Even if 'twas my silly idea in the first place. ;)

That makes me feel a heap better, I had just about decided to give the theme away myself, but was feeling more than a little embarrassed. I just can't figure out to get that much segmentation out of the Pittosperum or the purpleheart.

Okay, so now I can just concentrate on trying to produce quality pens. :cool:

ss_11000
4th August 2006, 09:47 PM
theme looks a little hard,:o i wonder if what i have in mind will work, good old pine practise will tell me if it will. :D

Tassie Boy
4th August 2006, 09:50 PM
mmm ia may have to do a pine practice as well i think!

I dont wont to put that purpleheart to waste.

lubbing5cherubs
4th August 2006, 10:03 PM
me too I got one on the lath now a practise run. I just hope I can pull it off twice
Toni

Touchwood
4th August 2006, 10:34 PM
If you haven't turned P/heart before, don't be surprised when it goes brown as you turn it. It tends to go a darker brown with heat (ie. sanding/finishing) and that's OK... just put the finished item in the sun for a while (how long depends on where you are... from a few hours to a coupla days) and the UV will turn it purple. Don't forget to turn it over.

Hung my dark purple heart pen in the window just before I scurried off to work, wow, what a difference it made - thanks for the tip.

Never fear, the postman in the west ain't here either ... all good things come to those who wait.

JD

Tassie Boy
4th August 2006, 10:40 PM

It doesnt matter we have until the end of august to finish them!:)

Skewpid
5th August 2006, 12:44 AM
har&#183;le&#183;quin http://cache.lexico.com/dictionary/graphics/AHD4/JPG/pron.jpg (https://secure.reference.com/premium/login.html?rd=2&u=http%3A%2F%2Fdictionary.reference.com%2Fbrowse%2Fharlequin) ( P ) Pronunciation Key (http://dictionary.reference.com/help/ahd4/pronkey.html) (h&#228;rhttp://cache.lexico.com/dictionary/graphics/AHD4/GIF/prime.giflhttp://cache.lexico.com/dictionary/graphics/AHD4/GIF/ibreve.gif-kwhttp://cache.lexico.com/dictionary/graphics/AHD4/GIF/ibreve.gifn, -khttp://cache.lexico.com/dictionary/graphics/AHD4/GIF/ibreve.gifn)
n.
Harlequin A conventional buffoon of the commedia dell'arte, traditionally presented in a mask and parti-colored tights.
A clown; a buffoon.
So .... Im sposed to make it look like Michael Jackson, Bat Man or Elton John ...

Thanks Skew ... and I thought it was gonna be hard.

Skewpid
5th August 2006, 12:46 PM
Ok, FINISHED!

Just kidding, I wish this was my effort. Found them while getting some inspiration and thought Id post em.

Only $10,000 each. Bargain.

chrisb691
5th August 2006, 01:04 PM

But surely, the Triton pen lathe gives you an advantage? :D

ss_11000
5th August 2006, 04:24 PM
Ok, FINISHED!

Just kidding, I wish this was my effort. Found them while getting some inspiration and thought Id post em.

Only $10,000 each. Bargain.

geeeeez they look awesome but very difficult to make....if any one makes a replica, you should be very proud.:)

Stuart
5th August 2006, 05:12 PM
But surely, the Triton pen lathe gives you an advantage? :D

But only if you go to South Africa to buy it :(

I have to stick to my GMC.:eek:

chrisb691
5th August 2006, 05:56 PM
But only if you go to South Africa to buy it :(

I have to stick to my GMC.:eek:

Paint it orange. :)

lubbing5cherubs
7th August 2006, 06:15 PM
bummer.. i thought they be here today
Toni

Fireman sam
7th August 2006, 07:30 PM
Thanks skew my blanks turn up to day :eek:
Andrew

Stuart
7th August 2006, 07:58 PM
bummer.. i thought they be here today
Toni

Mine arrived - just opened the packet - thanks Skew :D

lubbing5cherubs
7th August 2006, 08:07 PM
rub it in..go on.. :-)
Toni

ss_11000
7th August 2006, 08:54 PM
rub it in..go on.. :-)
Toni

mine came today to. i must say purple heart is so cooooooooooool. and i like the look of the pittosperum and redgum, i dont like the look of the theme tho, its gonna prove a challenge.

thanx skew.....

lubbing5cherubs
7th August 2006, 09:01 PM
Guys I know how to do diamonds with patchwork it done with straight cuts. Mates you may use it or not but do a search on seminole. on the internet. It quite easy but with wood I am not sure. Now I am giving away my ideas but you guys are talented and I love to help. I can't keep this a secret. I hope this helps
bye Toni

have a look at this link..Now I think I will go shoot myself
http://www.allfreecrafts.com/sewing/glasscase.shtml

LOL!!

powderpost
7th August 2006, 09:18 PM
Ahh Ha. A new challange. Can I play too, or am I banned. :)
Jim

lubbing5cherubs
7th August 2006, 09:19 PM
ooohhhh you be scary competition. No serious. Get on to Skewy he let you know
Toni

Sir Stinkalot
7th August 2006, 10:24 PM
Perhaps the challange will be to look deeper (more abstractly) into the meaning of the word than the diamond pattern :)

chrisb691
7th August 2006, 10:26 PM
Guys I know how to do diamonds with patchwork it done with straight cuts. Mates you may use it or not but do a search on seminole. on the internet. It quite easy but with wood I am not sure. Now I am giving away my ideas but you guys are talented and I love to help. I can't keep this a secret. I hope this helps
bye Toni

have a look at this link..Now I think I will go shoot myself
http://www.allfreecrafts.com/sewing/glasscase.shtml

LOL!!

I've been playing with 2 sheets of coloured craft paper, and can make the diamond pattern with all straight cuts (a you say). The problem, as I see it, is the number of cuts I would have to make times the width of the kerf. So if you make 40 cuts, and your kerf is 1.5mm, then you've lost 60mm of blank. The smaller the diamonds you go for, the more cuts you have to make. I'm not at all sure that I have enough blank(s) to risk it. Particularly with the pittosperum, as it tapers away quite severely on 1 end, and not quite as badly on the other. I'll ruminate on it during this week, and then, what ever I decide, I'll make a start on the pens next weekend.

lubbing5cherubs
8th August 2006, 10:25 PM
Thank you very much skewy. They arrived today. that purple heart is gorgeous
Toni

Skew ChiDAMN!!
8th August 2006, 10:30 PM
Good to hear it arrived OK, Toni. I wish I had some p/heart in larger thicknesses, but I still love the stuff I have. :)

Hmmm... anyone else still waiting?

Skewpid
9th August 2006, 10:28 AM
Got mine skew ... just figuring out if there is a way to do a diamond patern without doing inlays . . .. hmmm ..

ss_11000
9th August 2006, 04:40 PM
hey guys's

quick question.....is it okay if i only stick to the theme for one pen? and then produce another pen......

DJ’s Timber
9th August 2006, 04:53 PM
hey guys's

quick question.....is it okay if i only stick to the theme for one pen? and then produce another pen......

G'day Stirlo

That's fine by me

ss_11000
9th August 2006, 05:06 PM
cool dj. i'll just wait for another reply or two before i make my decision.

lubbing5cherubs
9th August 2006, 05:25 PM
I been thinking the same thing
Toni

Stuart
9th August 2006, 05:40 PM
I'm going to try for 1 pen - my idea is an all or nothing thing - if it works, I should easily get 2 pens, if it doesn't I'll be lucky to scavenge enough for one. (Unless I gather up all the sawdust and mix it with glue, and cast a new blank and............)

lubbing5cherubs
9th August 2006, 05:46 PM
Stuart, that sounds intrigueing. My idea has to wait til the weekend so I can start. I will have a new bandsaw...whoohoo sounds exciting. I know only baby GMC but better than nothing
bye Toni

Tassie Boy
9th August 2006, 06:21 PM
i think that would be fine stirlo...
i might have to do the same thing...

chrisb691
9th August 2006, 07:12 PM
hey guys's

I don't have a problem with that..............provided our course, that you give us a piccy of it in one piece. :D

ss_11000
9th August 2006, 07:59 PM
I don't have a problem with that..............provided our course, that you give us a piccy of it in one piece. :D

well thats good because i just finished the first one and no problems except i am not very good at laminating, so i put some locktite and chocolate powder in the gap and good as new.

well anyway, i've turned one pen with some diamonds and i think that i'll just make another without the theme.

with this pen, i dont know wether or not i like it. it was my first cb less pen and my first segmented pen.....so piccies will come in a few weeks.....( aw, cant wait that long )

also, just to tripple check something. i should heat the ph to get a purple colour. and does it have to be unfinished to change ( if so....oops, oh well it looks good now)?

chrisb691
9th August 2006, 08:54 PM
also, just to tripple check something. i should heat the ph to get a purple colour. and does it have to be unfinished to change ( if so....oops, oh well it looks good now)?

Heres what Skew said, but I'm not sure if it applies to the finished pen or not. I would guess that it does, because I can't see that the finish would block the UV that much.

If you haven't turned P/heart before, don't be surprised when it goes brown as you turn it. It tends to go a darker brown with heat (ie. sanding/finishing) and that's OK... just put the finished item in the sun for a while (how long depends on where you are... from a few hours to a coupla days) and the UV will turn it purple. Don't forget to turn it over. ;)

If you're after a bright purple, then try not to heat the pen too much when turning/finishing. Personally, I like the darker purples, but... [shrug]

Skew ChiDAMN!!
9th August 2006, 09:02 PM
What Chris said. :D

Yes, it'll probably still change colour after finishing if it's exposed to direct sunlight. Not a good outdoor pen.

Ideally, it'd be finished with something contining UV blockers such as a spar varnish (a finish for wooden boats)... and even that only slows down the process. Several years from now it'll be a dark purple. [shrug]

Not really worth rushing out to buy some just for a couple of pens. ;)

brind0g
9th August 2006, 09:14 PM
got my timber today thanks skew, will start pondering ideas for the next few days!! cheers mate

dazzler
9th August 2006, 10:01 PM
got my timber today thanks skew, will start pondering ideas for the next few days!! cheers mate

Me 3 :D

ss_11000
9th August 2006, 10:13 PM
so i'll just chuck it in the sun on my window cill and check tomorrow nite then and decide how long it will be left there. thanx for the help

chrisb691
9th August 2006, 10:25 PM
Don't forget to turn it, so that all of it gets equal exposure. Otherwise it will end up striped, and the zebra theme was last month. :D

Skew ChiDAMN!!
9th August 2006, 11:41 PM
Now there's an idea! :eek:

I wonder how a pen'd come up if you turned it simply then covered it in a stencil, cut away a small pattern and exposed it for a day or two... then cut away a bit more stencil and exposed it again. And so on.

Would the variations in colour stay crisply defined, or would it all start blurring together? Hmmm... this bears looking into! :cool:

JDarvall
9th August 2006, 11:43 PM
jeeezus, you guys still swapping pens !

Skew ChiDAMN!!
9th August 2006, 11:45 PM
You still pinching planes? :p :D

JDarvall
9th August 2006, 11:49 PM
You still pinching planes? :p :D

:D yep.

ss_11000
10th August 2006, 07:51 PM
well i took my pen into school today to show the woodturners and they all loved it so....thats good

lubbing5cherubs
10th August 2006, 08:10 PM
Good effort
Toni