PDA

View Full Version : DOMI dose TRADITIONAL TENONS

Lignum
4th August 2006, 11:32 AM
For those out their with a Domi and still like to play with Rockers Morticing jig, have no fear, because you to can have Dominatrixed tenons:D

Pics are self explanatory. First is the Domi on full 28mm plunge and on bottom height setting, and its just plunged on all 4 sides.

Pic two shows finished Tenon after it has had the shoulders cleaned up on the table saw. This Tenon took around a minute or two to cut and is very clean and crisp.

And if you want to cut a 9deg (Flowboy take note:D ) Just cut the two edges normal and then set it to 81deg and plunge the top cut, then drop the setting by the tenon thickness required + cutter thickness and Bingo.... angled tenon:D

Gotta love Domi:o

floobyduster
4th August 2006, 11:43 AM
Looks nice but... how does a square tenon fit in the rounded mortice cut by the Domi? :)

floobyduster
4th August 2006, 11:44 AM
Obviously ... it fits where it touches!

Lignum
4th August 2006, 11:54 AM
Flooby:) This isnt for use with Domi mortices, but for those out their who want to use a more traditional method by either chiseling or routing your own.

TassieKiwi
4th August 2006, 11:58 AM
Sweet.:cool:

DanP
4th August 2006, 12:59 PM
Why would you spend $1200 on a Domino so that you could use it to cut square tenons to fit darkside mortices? If you were going to spend the rediculous asking price of this machine, surely you would not be a serious enough darksider to be handcutting mortices.

Just my thoughts. Not intended as a shot at those who have purchased Domino's or any other Festo product for that matter.

Dan

Lignum
4th August 2006, 01:30 PM
Dan, you obviously you have issues with $$$$/Festool/Domino judging by the "spend the rediculous asking price " quote just to cut square tenons. To my knowledge this is the first time you have bothered responded to anything regarding the Domino in all the hundreds of posts that have been made on her. You are welcome to your opinion, but as i have said before, bagging something when you havnt used it (or have you?) for no reason is pointless

I could just not bother posting these tips that i think of with Domi, but this small idea/demo was made not only for Domi owners but also for those who are interested in one and for those who have doubts on a machine that has a rediculous asking price that "only cuts mortices" What these ideas show, is its more versatile and better value for money than what you think

As shown in previous threads this machine will not only cut mortices, but also Dovetal sockets (and pins when i get to them) and Tenons, Join very accuratly 3-way miters. Your imagination and lateral thinking is all thats needed, hence the tenon idea.

Their are times when a Domi mortice isnt enough, Ask Rocker. His Rocker needs mortices that Domi wont cut. Ask Den, as his bed has larger mortices and he could have cut them very quickly and accuratly this way. Ask Flowboy, he wanted "wider" tenons on his chair rail, so the Domi Tenon and Rockers Mortice would be perfect.

You might think the price is rediculous and its a waste of time using it for Tenons, but look at those who have "out layed" their hard earned for it and ask them just how sensational and unique this power tool is.

And on the "surely you would not be a serious enough darksider to be handcutting mortices" thats rubbish. I make furniture for a living and 25 - 30% of what i do is "Darkside" Domi is a Darksiders power tool

TassieKiwi
4th August 2006, 01:53 PM
And on the "surely you would not be a serious enough darksider to be handcutting mortices" thats rubbish. I make furniture for a living and 25 - 30% of what i do is "Darkside" Domi is a Darksiders power tool

Yeah, what he said. A Darklimesider's tool. So there. :p

DanP
4th August 2006, 03:38 PM
Lignum,

Read my post again. Nowhere do I question the Domino's ability to do the job required or that it is probably a great tool. I will never own a Festool power tool because I THINK (note the 'I') that Festool products are grossly overpriced, no matter how good they are.

The point of my post is that surely if you are a serious darksider, one who would be cutting mortices by hand, you would cut the tenons by hand too. You're being a bit overprotective of your 'precious'.

If you have the cash and you think the price is ok, then that's fine. It's your moolah. You spend it how you chose. But no one will ever convince me that a Domino is worth the cost of a table saw.

FWIW Festool is not the only thing that I think is grossly overpriced and as I said in my last post, don't think that I'm having a shot at you or anyone else who has bought one. My point was that a person who is darkside enough to handcut mortices is hardly likely to machine cut tenons.

FWIW: You have never seen me comment on the Domino threads because I don't own and have never used one. So, for precisely the reason you have said, I won't comment on it.

Dan

Lignum
4th August 2006, 04:17 PM
The point of my post is that surely if you are a serious darksider, one who would be cutting mortices by hand, you would cut the tenons by hand too. You're being a bit overprotective of your 'precious'.

How many threads have been on this forum dedicated to cutting tenons? heaps. By hand, bandsaw, router and on the table saw. To suggest you have to be a Darksider to cut a trad mortice and tenon only by hand is silly. What % of forum members cut their mortices entirly by hand? I would guess no more than 15% and that would be stretching it. How many use Rockers jig or their own router or router jig? easly the greater majority. So how do they do their tenons? By hand? yes a small % but the majority by bandsaw, router or Table saw, and all im doing is showing that the Domi can do it.
Am i being overprotective of my "Precious" you bet i am, especialy when i post an idea only to have it questioned because of $$$$ v Darkside. But sadly you will never get to feel what i or the other Domi owners feel, and why we have the need to protect her image because you will never own one.

Carpenter
4th August 2006, 11:34 PM
Dan,
the argument about Festool being too expensive will go on for ever, but its like a serious woodworker buying a $20 000 table saw when they could maybe get by with spending $2000. On the other hand, the guy who needs the $20 000 machine (e.g -kitchen manufacturer) would not stay economically viable for very long with the $2000 saw. There are horses for courses & a tool to satisfy every level of budget, but what Lignum is stating from the perspective of someone who makes a living from manufacturing furniture, is that this tool makes a big difference to the bottom line of the balance sheet. This is what its designed for & it does it well. As I have stated before, there's nothing stopping a keen woodworker from buying Festool gear, but understand its made for industrial applications & you will pay for that level of performance & reliability. It costs money to achieve this level of engineering excellence. Sometimes I think it would be good for woodworkers to go out & have a look at commercial grade machinery & have a reality check on just how much this stuff really costs! There's more to the scale of machinery availability & pricing than what exists in your Carbatec or Timbecon catalogue. Buy what you need & be happy with it!

Lignum
5th August 2006, 12:33 AM
Interesting way you put it Carp:) For someone like me who works for himself and has a small and very basic shop, this has been an absoulute Godsend. Last weekend i was going over all the work i have done in the few months ive had it and the time saved and i calculated that already i have saved around $400. So by Xmas it will have paid for its self. Also this forum isnt exlusive just to amatures or hobbyists so i dont see why the cost of a Domino gets so many of them all excited and prompt them to keep on with the $$$$ issue.

But i still reckon even for those who arnt in business its something worth getting. just ask other new Domi owners here.

I also wonder how many members have collections of hand planes over $1000. lots. And no one has a go at them, but praises and encourages them to get more. Sometimes its like the more LN`s and LV`s you have its a darkside status symbol, but i have yet to hear one person go on about the price. Now just because a "Power tool" comes out that is $1200 it is fair game for some who dont have the foresight to understand its use in making furniture.

Its easly the most versatile power tool ever made. Some will argue that the router is, and in ways thats correct because ultimatly you can do everything the Domi dose and more. But you can make ten different peices of furniture and not use a router once. Id be lucky to use mine once every 3 weeks. They are to fiddly and time consuming, i just carnt be bothered (and i was the same pre-Domi) But the Domino basicly takes dressed timber that has been cut to dimention and puts it together with incredable accuracy and with fantastic speed. No pens, pencils, rulers or tapes and when timber is joined its just a quick and easy scrape and then a light hand plane or sand. I hardly use my ROS any more. And as ive shown its a very versatile tool. It seems every time you go to do something their is a way to adapt the Domino to that task

As far as value for money goes, as a maker doing it for a living its almost a bargain. In six months i will be saying it was a bargain. For the serious and not so serious hobbyists, yes it is a bit pricey, but for those who have outlayed the $$$$ on one already have something very special for life. And the best part for the majority of them is the quality of their work (and confidence) will soar. And that can only be a good thing:D

riri
5th August 2006, 12:54 AM
I quite agree with you Lignum. I own just about all the tools made by F...L. It is now more than 15 years since i started working with that brand ( then it was named FESTO which is a parent company ). I have always found that their tools, being so well engineerd, had allowed me to increase the quality of the work and had brought a significant redcution in worktime hours. In a country like mine were labour is so expensive, excellent tools are invaluable.

Nobody forces an hobbyist to buy these tool unless he wants it or loves a well engineerd tool. Have you never seen someone going to buy groceries for the week in a Ferrari 575? I have. Well it is the same. It is not designed for but you can do it.

Cheers,

riri

patr
5th August 2006, 02:41 AM
I have been following this thread with enormous interest as a less than gifted amateur :) and can see both sides of the respective views. I love Festool products and have been fortunate enough to buy quite a few over the years which I have carefully camouflaged in my workshop to avoid the Gestapo- like questioning of my beloved who is blissfully unaware of the cost of them. Bless her and damm me for being economical with the truth!

But as my old Nan used to say ' Some people know the price of everything and the value of nothing' and I think that is why many choose to buy Festool because they value the design and engineering excellence, the reliability and the backup should anything go wrong. I've used them for over five years and never ever has one either gone t*ts up or not performed exactly as stated. But then there are other makes out there with equally satisfied owners who have paid a lot less and good luck to them say I. Its a matter of personal choice.

Whilst I am a Festool fan and a fully paid up member of the DAC I do think they are too expensive (here in the UK) and I do not like the cartel pricing arrangement that seems to exist. That is why I buy in Germany and save a bundle to put towards another one. Here's my new chant ,

"Give me a C, give me a 1, give me a 2!"

Oh allright then, lets get a C12 Tassiedrill.

This could go on and on, so to all of you out there buy whatever you want. I do.:D

Pat and Simou ( who couldn't give a flying f as long as he gets three squares a day with gravy)

Harry72
5th August 2006, 03:21 AM
Yep I need one!

Honorary Bloke
5th August 2006, 03:39 AM
For the serious and not so serious hobbyists, yes it is a bit pricey, but for those who have outlayed the $$$$ on one already have something very special for life. And the best part for the majority of them is the quality of their work (and confidence) will soar. And that can only be a good thing.

Well put, Lignum! :cool: For many of us amateurs, whilst the process is relaxing and gratifying, it's the end result that really gives satisfaction. Building something with which you can be pleased with yourself and admired by SWMBO. :D I have already a list of serious furniture projects that await the availability of the Domi. I simply won't start them without that sweet lady. (Plenty to do meanwhile. Doing a big kitchen reno.)

Another point is that many folks (I am one) simply don't have the patience or temperment for endless fiddling and set-up. If it takes too long to do it, I just won't do it. Or, I'll speed it up and cock it up, in that order. So, $$$ be d*^&#d. But I realize that is not a universally shared attitude.:)

Flowboy
5th August 2006, 07:11 AM
Hi,

I know its all been said, but I'd like to wade in as I have been, as Lignum will tell you probably the biggest skeptic known the the free ww community.
After buying the Domino, it became clear to me very quickly, that anyone making reasonable to high quality cabinetry, would be insane not to use a Domino joining system. I calculated it would pay for itself in a single operator situation within 12 months. Seems I was pretty right. In a situation where there are teams installing cabinets, the savings would probably be double or three fold.
The Domino is not for everyone, probably only for those who need consistent fast accurate joining in 80+% of the joining tasks they use.
As spomeone else on these forums quotes,
"Buy quality first time. A ten dollar helmet is for ten dollar heads."
I still hold concerns about Festool as an organisation, but you can't argue with quality products.

Rob, the Doubting Thomas

DanP
5th August 2006, 11:40 PM
Lignum,

Again you misread my post.

What I am suggesting is, that a person who will go to the trouble of cutting mortices by hand, will cut the tenons by hand too. Why would you hand chop a mortice then reach for a power tool for the tenon?

Again I state that I have nothing against those who would spend their hard earned to purchase any Festo tool. I am saying that I would not because I don't think they are worth the money that is being asked for them. I also think Lamello biscuit jointers are too exxy, as are a lot of 'name' brands of just about anything.

The precious comment is to emphasise that you are too busy being offended that I have dared to have an adverse opinion of Festool to really read and understand what I have said.

This part of the forum is in danger of becoming like the Triton section, where you don't dare speak against the product for fear of being shouted down (so to speak).

So again I will say. I have nothing against you or those who chose to spend your money on Festool products. If you are happy with your purchase and think it is good value, then I am happy for you and look forward to seeing pics of the things that you make with them.

Dan

Lignum
6th August 2006, 12:41 AM
Fair call. We`ll just leave it at that:D :D

Auld Bassoon
6th August 2006, 06:47 PM
Pat and Simou ( who couldn't give a flying f as long as he gets three squares a day with gravy)

And don't forget the biscuits! :D

It'll be MIP payment time soon, plus a tax refund, so methinks I'll be heading down the Darkside Power Tool Route.

Streuth, next I'll be wanting to attach a power cord to one of my LN chisels :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :eek: :eek: :eek: :D :D :D

Lignum
6th August 2006, 07:20 PM
It'll be MIP payment time soon, plus a tax refund, so methinks I'll be heading down the Darkside Power Tool Route.

It was only a matter of time. But we will have to wait until we see proof you have her before you are welcomed into the Secret Society of the Brotherhood of Powercorded Darksiders.

And Simou is the only one authorised to show you the secret handshake:cool:

Auld Bassoon
6th August 2006, 08:12 PM
It was only a matter of time. But we will have to wait until we see proof you have her before you are welcomed into the Secret Society of the Brotherhood of Powercorded Darksiders.

And Simou is the only one authorised to show you the secret handshake:cool:

Geez! Am I that predictable?

Mid September: Festool vendors, brace thyselves! Proof will be given!

Simou had better like Jarrah biscuits or, ahhhh, perhaps vegemite flavoured Jarrah, else my nether regions will be chewed upon :eek: :eek:

patr
7th August 2006, 02:29 AM
Steve

Do you honestly think that I can be bought for a few biscuits coated in a salty yeast and vegetable derivative spread that is prized by ex-pat Aussies here in the UK?

Oh go on then cobber. Send biccies immediately, secret handshake instructions by return. I feel a song coming on........In fluent Rottyese,

"Can't you hear, can't you hear the thunder?
You better run, you better take cover."
Buying Domis from a man in Russels
He was six foot four and full of muscles
I said, "Do you know a my Rotty speaky?"
He just smiled and gave me a vegemite biccy
And Steve said,
"I come from a land down under
Where beer does flow and men chunder..............

Simou

or as I am know in Rottyland,

Lucas - Prince of the Darkside:D

ricgstevens
21st August 2006, 02:25 PM
"It'll be MIP payment time soon" - sounds like a well paid Telstra employee to me...

Watch out Festool dealers - MIPs are due in early September.

Hee Hee Hee

bjn
21st August 2006, 03:08 PM
What is a MIP ?

Cheers
Brenton

keith53
21st August 2006, 03:31 PM
Interesting debate. I think you might have struck a nerve there Dan.:D

Auld Bassoon
21st August 2006, 07:29 PM
What is a MIP ?