PDA

View Full Version : Vm140

Simomatra
6th August 2006, 02:06 PM
I have a second hand VM140 Vicmarc chuck, came with the lathe I just purchased. Just started to clean it up.

How does one remove the jaws. I do not have any manual for it

If anyone can help much appreciated

Tornatus
6th August 2006, 07:36 PM
G'day Sam

When you ask how to remove the jaws, I assume you are just referring to the attached "gripping bits" and not the actual scrolling sections of the chuck which hold the jaws - that is, you're not trying to disassemble the mechanism of the chuck itself. I wouldn't recommend that, unless you've got some engineering experience. If there is a problem with the internals of the chuck, I would suggest you get onto Vicmarc direct and ask if they will service it for you. They would also send you a set of instructions, I'm sure.

As for the jaws themselves, the best tool is the T-handled allen key which normally comes with the chuck (apart from the big key for operating the scrolling mechanism). I'm guessing that the one belonging to your chuck has gone missing in action, so just use a metric allen key of the appropriate size to unscrew the two machine screws which secure each jaw. When you've cleaned all the gunk off and lighly oiled the jaws - camellia oil is great for this, as it won't stain wood or collect dust - make sure you reattach them in the correct numbered order. Also take care with re-inserting the machine screws, as they have a fairly fine thread and you wouldn't want to cross-thread them. Tighten them firmly, but don't overdo it.

Hope that helps.

Simomatra
7th August 2006, 09:10 AM
G'day Tornatus

I was actually referring to removing the scrolls. I have been able to revove the actual "gripping bits" and clean them up but the scroll has a couple of spots that need further investigation.

I have no worries about pulling the chuck apart just don't want to force anything in the process. I am also presuming that it is a VM140 as the chuck only has Vicmarc Australia on it. Its about 140 mm in diameter. It is also driven by tommy bars and not the hex drive

Looking at it again it would seem the if the large circlip is removed from the back of the chuck then all will be able to be opened

I got the lathe VL200 delux variable speed 1992 model and turning tools second hand. They have not had much use in their life but have not been looked at for years.

Many thanks to Turnerted who supplied me with the manual for the lathe

Cleaned up and a little maintenance it will be a good tool.

Tornatus
8th August 2006, 02:03 AM
Sorry, Sam - didn't mean to teach you to suck eggs. It's hard sometimes to gauge how much experience people have had when they ask questions on the board.

I still think you're a brave man to pull the chuck apart - I follow the principle laid down by that great American philosopher, C Eastwood: "A man's got to know his limitations!"

From your description the chuck is a VM120 - I have its smaller brother, the VM90, which I also got for a good price, but I dislike those tommy bars so much that I fitted mine with my relatively little-used bowl jaws and parked it in the corner. I saved up for two VM100s, fitted with shark jaws and long-nosed jaws respectively, and they do the bulk of my work.

Good luck with the disassembly - hope there are no bits left over!

Jim Carroll
8th August 2006, 09:52 AM
Torantus the chuck that simmo has is the VM140 with the tommy bars, the current model with the hex key is the VM120

They are all easily pulled apart just take it quietly and be aware of where all the parts come from.

It is when reassembling that you have to be carefull where you put the jawslides in place that they go in order, if not in order then one jaw will be out of step with the others.

Simomatra
8th August 2006, 07:04 PM
Thanks Jim

I think I have sussed it all out now. The jaws were assembled incorrectly when I received it. All the numbers mixed up