PDA

View Full Version : Biggest Bowl, So Far...

OGYT
7th August 2006, 11:46 AM
Well, this is the biggest chunk of wood I've put on her so far. It's Red Oak, and green-as-a-gourd wet! About 70 or 80 pounds.. just guessing.
The first pic shows it on the outboard end.
The second pic, it's spinning at about 250 RPM (I think), and steady as a rock, shown by the bottle of water on the bed.
I'm going to turn it tomorrow, start to finish, down to about 1/4 inch thick (don't know what that is in metrics):confused: so it'll go funny-shaped on me.
Red Oak will warp and twist into some weird shapes when it's drying like that, so I'm wondering what it'll turn into when it's dry.:eek:

Wild Dingo
7th August 2006, 11:54 AM
Bloody beauty Al :cool:

Red Oaks supposed to a hardwood isnt it?

Cheers! :cool:

OGYT
7th August 2006, 11:59 AM
Right, Dingo, hardwood. It's not the hardest, but I'd be hesitant to attempt this size, dry.

Gil Jones
7th August 2006, 12:03 PM
Al, that chunk looks like fun. Red Oak is pretty good to turn when wet, and it sure does warp a bit as it dries. It is an attractive wood, and goes well with Turquoise.
That sweet lookin' lathe is way too clean.:rolleyes:

OGYT
7th August 2006, 12:19 PM
That sweet lookin' lathe is way too clean.:rolleyes:
I intend to keep it that way. I think. Maybe.;)

TTIT
7th August 2006, 05:31 PM
Bloody show-off Yanks!!!:eek::mad:;). If I put that lump on my lathe it wouldn't stop bouncin' for a month - come to think of it - even without the wood, I don't think the water would stay still. Ah well, them's the breaks - have fun Al.:)

Mikko
7th August 2006, 05:52 PM
What's the dia of that lump?
Which Oneway is that you have?

I'm still waiting for my new Vicmark to arrive and still wondering how big of a bowl it will manage when properly weighed down.

I have some SERIOUS pieces of wood stashed away...

Can't wait....

M

Wild Dingo
7th August 2006, 06:01 PM
mate Im like The TIT up there... my poor lathe wouldnt stop reboundin of the walls of the shed for a month if I stuck something that big on it... mmm minds me I must bolt that sucker down :rolleyes: ;)

ss_11000
7th August 2006, 09:23 PM
that looks like fun.

hope it turns out good.:)

tonysa
7th August 2006, 10:26 PM
you'll get a hernia just thinking about lugging that sucker about
wouldn't want that flying around the shed, even at 250 rpm, nasty business
damn fine lathe you have there
tony

hughie
8th August 2006, 01:49 AM
Well, this is the biggest chunk of wood I've put on her so far. It's Red Oak, and green-as-a-gourd wet! About 70 or 80 pounds.. just guessing.

The second pic, it's spinning at about 250 RPM (I think), and steady as a rock, shown by the bottle of water on the bed.
I'm going to turn it tomorrow, start to finish, down to about 1/4 inch thick

Al,
A bowl as big as Texas.............:D 250rpm and the water bottle, thats impressive.

80LBS = 35kg Hmmm, I think my chiwanese would give up the ghost as I rolled it in to the shed. :eek: 1/4" is about 6mm, thats a lot of shavings on the floor

I gotta see the end result of this one, pics please.

OGYT
8th August 2006, 01:36 PM
Thanks for the comments, all.
That chunk of Red Oak is nearly 21 inches in diameter.:eek:
The lathe is a Oneway 1640. Had to go into debt up to my cheeks for it, :( but I got tired of wanting to do larger bowls and not being able to, and I was determined to get the lathe I wanted... not necessarily the one I could afford.;)
I'm gettin' old and skinny, so I had to have help to get the wood on there. Then, today, I had to have help to turn it around after I got the chuck on it.
Hughie, I'll get a pic of the shavings also... there's a pile of 'em. I got it turned down to about that 6mm this afternoon, and it cracked on the edge. I'll try to get it finished tomorrow, and get some pics.
Oh yeah... it may be the largest bowl I ever turn... took me all day to worm out all those shavings.

OGYT
9th August 2006, 09:45 AM
Here's a few shots of the progress.
The first one shows the rim with a chunk knocked out of it.:mad:
The Second shows the missing chunk turned away, but a crack has formed in the same spot (lower right rim).:mad:
Third one shows the inside with turquoise filling the crack and two other inclusions.
The fourth pic shows the outside with some more turquoise.
It's already starting to oval out on me. 17 inches at the widest diameter, 16 inches the other way. 5 inches deep. Two coats of Salad Bowl Finish, so far.
Now all I have to do is finish the bottom.:eek: Tomorrow.

lubbing5cherubs
9th August 2006, 09:49 AM
Al that is one fine bowl you have made there..beautiful work
Toni

OGYT
9th August 2006, 10:11 AM
Thanks, Toni. I'm still nervous about it cracking some more, before I get the bottom turned. I gotta wait 'til the finish cures overnight before I can finish it.
Appreciate the comments, everybody.

namtrak
9th August 2006, 10:17 AM
Is that a fridge with an icemaker in your shed? How cool is that!!! Or are you working in your kitchen?

Gil Jones
9th August 2006, 10:20 AM
Looks good, Al!!

OGYT
9th August 2006, 11:10 AM
Namtrak, I turn in my kitchen. (wink and haw, here) NOT.
I turn in my shed, as you blokes call it. That is an old, discarded, fridge. I use it for storing blanks that have been waxed. This country I live in is so hot and dry, that the fridge helps them dry slower. It's just a box... no compressor. 4 or 5, 12mm holes drilled in the front bottom of each section, and back top, to allow just a little air to circulate.

ss_11000
9th August 2006, 04:52 PM
looks cool al.

OGYT
10th August 2006, 09:41 AM
Finished it. 45cm X 42cm Oval X 14cm Deep, 6mm thick. Salad Bowl Finish. Discovered I need some better lighting over my lathe. :mad: Some swirls inside that I didn't see 'til I finished the bottom.
First pic is the shavings... most of them, but not all, Hughie. That's a 45.7cm ruler on the pile.
You can see how it's ovalling out, in the 2d and 3d pics.
Last two pics really show how much it's already warped.
I wanted it to warp all it would... that's why I turned it green to finish. Warped bowl for a warped mind?

hughie
10th August 2006, 09:53 AM
Finished it. 45cm X 42cm Oval X 14cm Deep, 6mm thick. Salad Bowl Finish. Discovered I need some better lighting over my lathe. :mad:
First pic is the shavings... Hughie.

Al,

:D some pile of shavings, 45cm x 14cm awe heck I just got used to working in inches again, with you guys.....:D

But seriously its a fine looking bowl and I see its on the move already. :eek: not too much I hope. Have you put any finish on it as yet? A good oil may retard some of the movement....dunno just a thought.

magnifico! amigo!

Gil Jones
10th August 2006, 10:12 AM
Good bowl, Al. You need a coring tool.

OGYT
10th August 2006, 01:03 PM
Thanks, Hughie. Yep... finish is Salad Bowl Finish. I've seen some of your turnings... kudos from you mean a lot.

Gil, thanks, you too. I got a Kelton Standard on order... won't be in stock 'til sometime in September.

TTIT
10th August 2006, 01:48 PM
Nice job Al ! :D I hid a bowl that warped like that and a fellow forum member from Victoria reckoned it was alright and took it home - no accounting for taste!!!:confused:;)

Discovered I need some better lighting over my lathe. :mad: Some swirls inside that I didn't see 'til I finished the bottom On the sanding swirls subject, anyone know a way to make them show up easier???? I often get caught with the same thing.:(:confused:

hughie
10th August 2006, 02:26 PM
[On the sanding swirls subject, anyone know a way to make them show up easier???? I often get caught with the same thing.:(:confused:
[/QUOTE]

Vern,
for me its heaps of light. I got a 4' flouro double tube hanging over the lathe bed, plus a spot light at the tailstock end looking inside the bowl 150watt

Al, credit where credit is due, thanks for the kind words.

How much is the bowl corer gonna set you back? There a bit pricey here, around 600 for the big set [mid range + large ]
I am working something simpler with Tungsten tips, gonna take me awhile as its way down on the list of things.

ticklingmedusa
10th August 2006, 06:39 PM
very nice al!
tm

ss_11000
10th August 2006, 08:06 PM
wow. well done Al.

OGYT
11th August 2006, 02:37 AM
Thanks, Stirlo and tm.
Hughie, I just ordered the standard size Kelton... costs $258US, including shipping. I ordered it from Craft Supplies USA. http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com
Be sure to post pics of your coring tools when you finish 'em up. Wish I could do that type of metal work... (sigh)

Farnk
11th August 2006, 11:57 AM
Love it Al, a fine combination of grain, skill and form.

I've been having a bit of fun with turning green Redgum sleeper offcuts into bowls and plates. It's really interesting to see how much movement you get over the period of a few days.

I like the way each peice gets it's own personality from the warping process.

Oh, and just to balance the positive nature of this post, I am green with envy looking at that lathe! Makes my MC900 look like a GMC!

OGYT
11th August 2006, 03:07 PM
Love it Al, a fine combination of grain, skill and form.
I've been having a bit of fun with turning green Redgum sleeper offcuts into bowls and plates. It's really interesting to see how much movement you get over the period of a few days.
I like the way each peice gets it's own personality from the warping process.
Oh, and just to balance the positive nature of this post, I am green with envy looking at that lathe! Makes my MC900 look like a GMC!

Thanks, Farnk. My attitude entirely, about the movement of turnings.:D
Also... GMC's still do what they're intended to do. :) And most people drivin' 'em aren't still payin' for 'em... had to sell my shorts to get that lathe..:eek: . now I gotta sell close to a hundred bowls to pay for it.:(