PDA

View Full Version : Filling big holes to make smaller holes

Sir Stinkalot
15th October 2002, 08:38 PM
Hi,
I have the problem that I need to insert new screws into old holes that are now too big. There is no room to put larger screws. I think the best thing is to fill the holes, drill smaller ones before inserting the new smaller screws. The question is what is the best filler to use to fill the holes? I was going to use a putty but wouldn’t that be all powdery and not hold the new screws.

Thanks again.
Stinky

------------------
May the stink be with you :)

Gino
15th October 2002, 09:03 PM
I feel honoured writing to royalty.

Sir Pongalot

I have tried "plasty bond" (I think thats how you spell it) many years ago and from memmory it worked fine. Definetly not powdery, though it is expensive.
use caution when redrilling as drill may tend to wonder onto the softer wood instead of directly into the harder plasty bond.
You could perhaps try digging out more of the wood (depends on your application) and fill in a greater area which would stop the above happening.

either way wait a couple of days as I'm sure someone else will have something more to say about the matter who may have more experience.

regards

Gino

always at your service Sir.

Kev Y.
15th October 2002, 09:40 PM
IF you have trouble with the filling of those holes, why not try drilling them out and glueing in a piece of dowling? then you can make some brand new holes and screw in the old screws.

[This message has been edited by Brudda (edited 15 October 2002).]

Taffy
15th October 2002, 11:16 PM
Stinky, there is a product called "Knead it" I think Selleys makes it, it goes hard as hell in half an hour and can be drilled sanded nailed etc. if as always you drill a pilot hole before trying to screw then you should be ok, I have used this on occasion and have found it ok, any hardware store should stock it.

best of luck

Taffy

Eastie
16th October 2002, 10:41 AM
nail gun, definitely a job for a big nail gun http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/biggrin.gif

If not do what stopper said but make sure you insert the screws before the expoxy cures.

derekcohen
19th October 2002, 02:47 PM
I think wooden plugs are the way to go. BUT don't use dowels - as stated above you will be screwing into end grain, which is not strong enough. Instead make your own using a plug cutter (in your drill). This will even permit you to match the timber. DONT use plastibond (or similar) - it just crumbles eventually. Don't ask me how I know!

Regards from Perth

Derek

Tim the Timber Turner
19th October 2002, 04:11 PM
Stoppers is right.

Don't use matchsticks.

Tooth picks are much better as they are round and of harder timber. Easier to jam into the offending hole.

------------------
Some days I turns thisaway, somedays I turns thataway and other days I don't turn at all.

Taffy
17th November 2002, 05:54 PM
A couple of suggestions regarding using dowel have been lodged but no one suggested drilling at an angle and then inserting the dowel, sand of the excess that protrudes and you will have an elongated fill that will not pull out, you will also now be screwing across the grain. this method also works if you have a cracked piece of timber, end result looks a bit like a timber knot.

Taffy

[This message has been edited by Taffy (edited 17 November 2002).]

Baysider
4th October 2003, 10:00 AM
I use a product called "quikwood" which is an epoxy putty stick, fast setting polymer compound that enables permanent repairs to wood. It is available in three different shades; original, pine and dark and can be mixed with each other for different shades. When cured has a hardness and density similar to wood. drop me a line if you want to know more

Sir Stinkalot
4th October 2003, 01:51 PM
Thanks for the reply Baysider ..... I filled the holes with some putty and used larger screws ... it was just to hold up a cupboard door and it seems to have worked well.

Stinky