PDA

View Full Version : redgum stumps

Bear
10th August 2006, 01:50 PM
I am new to wood turning. I have just had my house restumped. A lot of the old stumps look in good condition. Are they any good to use for wood turning

Regards

Bear:confused:

Rookie
10th August 2006, 01:56 PM
Sorry. Gotta say it.

"Nah they're no good Bear. Send 'em to me and I'll get rid of them for you." :D :D

Sorry

Seriously. You're lucky. A lot of restumpers will take them with them because they know how good they are. They'd be redgum I guess and apart from being fairly hard and helping you with your chisel sharpening skills, they'll turn out some beautiful pieces.

Have fun.

TTIT
10th August 2006, 01:57 PM
As long as they're wood mate!!!! Depends on what type of wood of course but I haven't found one yet that can't be turned. If you were closer to the Murray or Goulburn, I would guess they would be Redgum but I don't know what they might have used in the Gold country - possibly ironbark - hard goin' but nice colour. Give em a go - can't hurt (much).:D

DJ’s Timber
10th August 2006, 04:17 PM
G'day Bear

Old stumps are normally some of the best timbers you can get. This is some that I resawed on the weekend
http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=35685
I also keep them to turn candlestick holders and goblets

rsser
10th August 2006, 04:44 PM
but they can be very hard in some cases; also, let them dry out for a few months otherwise they'll move after you've turned them.