PDA

View Full Version : Jet mini versus Leda mini

bloggs1968
11th August 2006, 08:04 AM
Hi all,

newbie woodturner here looking at a mini lathe to buy. I have seen the Jet mini in the flesh but not the leda and would like to ask opinions on one versus the other. I have a heap of jet gear in the workshop and have been very happy with it but the jet mini seems a bit smaller in capacity than the leda. Also the cost of the lathe with extension bed is around $313 for the leda ( from leda's site) and $539 for the Jet. Can there be that much difference between the two?

I noticed a few of you have these machines and would appreciate comments on the quality and user friendliness of both machines.

Also, I did the centre line up trick on a jet mini straight out of the box and it lined up perfectly - are the ledas the same??

thanks in advance.

AD

lubbing5cherubs
11th August 2006, 08:40 AM
I got the leda, my Father in law has the Jet he went for the variable speed one. but other than than I can't see much difference in the lathes. The tailstock is the main difference I can see the leda is solid cast, the jet has a like 2 sticks of casts (could be other metal than cast) The both are cute and nearly identical even FIL now saying he should of just went my way with the leda. I can't tell you motor stuff because I am not that way wired but I ahve been really happy with my leda. Yep when i pulled my leda out the box everything line up perfectly. They kiss real nicely
hth
Toni

Skew ChiDAMN!!
11th August 2006, 06:16 PM
Wot Toni said. :D

Also, although they have the same swing over bed, the Leda has a slightly longer bed than the JET. I think the JET's 3/4HP, whereas the the Leda's only 1/2HP but the Leda is a solid little lady and my gal has done some seriously hard work (that really should've been done on my big lathe) without complaining. I don't believe that the 1/4HP difference really matters that much for the blank sizes they turn comfortably... for pens it's totally irrelevant!

If you're consistently turning blanks as big as they'll hold (10"x18", I think) then you should have bought a bigger lathe in the first place! ;)

Having said all that, so long as everything else between the two models is equal (ie. they're both the basic model or both have var speed) then the Leda will win my vote every time...

Tassie Boy
11th August 2006, 07:16 PM
I have the JET Mini and it is a nice little lathe.
Skew, my JET is only 1/2HP..
They are a great lathe and the centres kiss perfectly.!
Also there is very little vibration..
but from looking at the leda on the net i think they are basically the same!
Cheers

knucklehead
11th August 2006, 08:07 PM
I've got the jet and am quite happy, but have never seen the Leda in the flesh so will leave the comparisons to someone that knows.

But your prices are way off. The going price for a jet mini lathe is $375. Don't be distracted by the variable sped version. They are more expensive and problematic. In fact some retailers won't stock them any more.

http://gpwoodturning.yahoostore.com.au/cgi/index.cgi/shopfront/view_product_details?category_id=1107136770&product_id=1107219999

bloggs1968
11th August 2006, 09:08 PM
[QUOTE=knucklehead]I've got the jet and am quite happy, but have never seen the Leda in the flesh so will leave the comparisons to someone that knows.

But your prices are way off. The going price for a jet mini lathe is $375. Don't be distracted by the variable sped version. They are more expensive and problematic. In fact some retailers won't stock them any more.

Knucklehead,

Being in Tassie, everyone stings you for freight. We have a local Jet dealer here who is associated with Gary ( same pricing) but add freight to that.

regards,

Ad

bloggs1968
11th August 2006, 09:13 PM
Ok guys, so you blokes with the Leda/Jet - with only half a horse to drive it, do you find it underpowered or OK? Anyone using the extension bed? leda offer it for only 33 bucks extra which is heaps cheaper than the jet.

Another thing, anyone using the teknatool G3 chuck on a mini?? If so any opinions??

BTW, I looked at an MC900 at another dealer here today and bugger me if the centres didn't line up EXACTLY- I have seen another one of these where it was 1/2" out? Maybe some are good. I just don't have the room.

regards,

AD

lubbing5cherubs
11th August 2006, 10:31 PM
HI I use the Nova G3 chuck on my lathe. I love it. So far my little girl has done what I have asked of her(leda). I do not think she is underpowered by any stretch of the imagination. And to do pens or small things that you can do on it. No hassle. I am so glad I bought my leda.
bye Toni

soundman
11th August 2006, 11:01 PM
there are quite a number of people on this board with the jet, myself included.
I don't thing I have heard anyone say they wern't happy with theirs.

the nova precision midi works very well on thm too.

cheers

Skew ChiDAMN!!
11th August 2006, 11:42 PM
Ok guys, so you blokes with the Leda/Jet - with only half a horse to drive it, do you find it underpowered or OK? Anyone using the extension bed? leda offer it for only 33 bucks extra which is heaps cheaper than the jet.

Another thing, anyone using the teknatool G3 chuck on a mini?? If so any opinions??

No problems with the Leda @ 1/2HP and a G3. I prefer the Precision Midi chuck though as it's lighter and takes up less spindle length.

BTW, I looked at an MC900 at another dealer here today and bugger me if the centres didn't line up EXACTLY- I have seen another one of these where it was 1/2" out? Maybe some are good. I just don't have the room.

The real test with an MC-900 isn't whether it kisses in the showroom... it's whether it still kisses after moving the head into outboard mode and back again. ;)

Tassie Boy
12th August 2006, 10:24 AM
Like i said i use the JET MINI with a precision midi and have had no problems.

And no, i dont find it underpowered...
Cheers

bloggs1968
13th August 2006, 05:45 AM
Thanks for the replies so far guys.Couple more question if I may.

The tool rest on these lathes is tiny. Is it worth getting a second tool rest holder/banjo and making up a longer tool rest? I reckon having to move the rest alot on longer spindles would end up being a pain.

Also, on the leda, what is the diameter of the tool rest post, 3/4" or 1" and the thread size for the chuck insert?

TIA

AD

jchappo
13th August 2006, 10:39 AM
I received my Leda last Monday from the latest consignment from OS, so the info is current.

Headstock thread: 1" 10tpi 2mt. Drive centre 4 spur 1"
Toolrest shaft: 16mm diameter
Tailstock Live centre cup 2mt

Motor 375w (1/2hp) 1400rpm induction.
Drive pulleys are made of a fibre/resin material.
Spindle speeds are given as 500 - 3200 (5 steps) (label on headstock)
The manual gives different speeds (700 - 3200), but I haven't measured the pulley diameters yet to see which is correct. I suspect the slower range.

Pulley access doors are a thick plastic material, as is the bed end plate.

Overall finish is good (there were a few paint chips - but this is a tool).

Comes in a stout cardboard box wrapped in plastic sheeting with molded foam for protection.

A small plastic bag contains the drive centres, 3 hex allen keys and the metal handle for the tailstock knob. A plastic sleeve contains the A4 8pp manual.

Manual is basic but does include an exploded diagram with parts list.

Screwing the handle onto the knob was the only assembly required.

Centres aligned perfectly after removing a small bur on the live centre point.

There is about .5mm play across the bed on the tailstock.

The construction is very solid, and exhibits no vibration. The motor is quiet. Solid rubber feet make it very stable, but they can be removed for bench fixing.

This is my first lathe, so I am not an expert, but I am very happy with it so far.

The Jet is advertised as having a 1" 8tpi drive thread (as is the Timbecon MC1018), but a recent thread on this forum suggests it is actually 1" 10tpi.

I think the Nova Precision has been replaced by the G3. The main difference that I can see is the Precision has a fixed thread, whereas the G3 uses inserts.

I have been trying to get a G3, but haven't found anybody in Sydney with stock.

Good luck with your choice - I don't think you will be disappointed with either lathe - the Jet just seems to have a wider audience.

John

bloggs1968
13th August 2006, 12:05 PM
excellent response - thanks John.

regards,

AD

Skew ChiDAMN!!
13th August 2006, 05:18 PM
And yes... it's worth getting a longer tool rest, maybe 8" long. :) IMHO it's not really worth going any longer, so I wouldn't worry about another banjo.

But it won't hurt to keep a spare locking handle or two on hand... preferably metal ones instead of the more common plastic jobs. I broke the one for my toolrest :o and my "apprentice" broke the one on his tailstock. Mind you this is after several years of fairly heavy use on both lathes, so I've no complaint on that score. The only other failure we've had is one drive belt.

bloggs1968
14th August 2006, 08:53 PM
Thanks skew. Ordered the lathe today and some tools - should be in to it in about a week.

regards,

AD

lubbing5cherubs
15th August 2006, 04:44 PM
Way to go enjoy it when your little baby gets here!!
Toni

jchappo
15th August 2006, 09:11 PM
The waiting is hell ...

Hope you don't have too long to wait - Did you order the Leda?

John

bloggs1968
15th August 2006, 10:03 PM
Hi John,

I ordered the Leda with a bed extension and a second tool rest banjo. Very cheap for what you get. Looking forward to having a play. When I get it I'll throw a post back here.

regards,

AD