PDA

View Full Version : Must be the caveman in me...

TTIT
13th August 2006, 01:26 AM
I cut a few Budgeroo logs into boards last week and was about to throw the flitches in the bin when I figured that they must be useful for something.:) Like a caveman, ya gotta use every bit of the beast to justify killing it!;) The pictured result was actually a lot of fun to turn (except when it removed a chunk from my finger) so I'm going to be doing a few more yet.:D Finished with EEE, Shellawax cream and then some traditional just for the smell - luv that stuff!. Very silky to the touch.:)
Note: the crack appeared when I left it overnight while the CA I poured around the knot dried - should have thrown it in a bag - one day I'll learn:o. Filled it with brass - has become my signature lately.

Touchwood
13th August 2006, 01:36 AM
They look fantastic - I love natural edges on things, adds to their character:D Well done, the colour contrast in the wood is really nice.

JD

Skew ChiDAMN!!
13th August 2006, 02:03 AM
The lidded bowl is bloody niiiice, mate. Is the lid grain-matched :eek: or was it turned from another piece?

Either way, I'm going to have to try that form for myself, first thing tomorrow. :)

Speanwoody
13th August 2006, 03:39 AM
Nice work, I like the lidded bowl, cool and unusual

Gil Jones
13th August 2006, 04:54 AM
TTIT, very fine work!!
I like the lidded form a lot, and the plank bowl is excellent.
Your surface finish appears to be silky smooth, well done.
I've never heard of that wood before, but it does look good.

Ivan in Oz
13th August 2006, 07:37 AM
> Finished with EEE

What?
When you got the CHUNK in your Pinkie:confused:

Couldn't see the Brass, was it in a Photo?
They DO look good. All of them.
I'm more of a Ludite than you:o
I must get to WoodWorking classes to expand my Horizons.
Anyone any recommendations?

Pat
13th August 2006, 07:47 AM
Ivan, the EEE that TTIT is referring to is UBEAUT's EEE. Have alook on the website. It's good stuff and you don't have to turn to get a good result. Just wack it on after Traditional wax and polish it!

hughie
13th August 2006, 10:56 AM
Note: the crack appeared when I left it overnight while the CA I poured around the knot dried - should have thrown it in a bag - one day I'll learn:o. Filled it with brass - has become my signature lately.
[/quote]

Vern, Nice one! Luv da lidded pot :D didja use the vernacut ;)

Seriously, a fine looking piece :) this one is going in the referance collection

Ivan in Oz
13th August 2006, 11:28 AM
Ivan, the EEE that TTIT is referring to is UBEAUT's EEE. Have alook on the website. It's good stuff and you don't have to turn to get a good result. Just wack it on after Traditional wax and polish it!

Thanks Pat,
I have the tools, soon have a 'clean' work area and some ideas;
Not REALLY struck a blow on anything so Fine and Delicate

I have to put my Intentions into Actions and Outcomes.
Humph!!
Just been to a Work Seminar on Relationships,
both Work and Home.......
Well; Bu@@er,
to late on the Home Scene:o :(

cedar n silky
13th August 2006, 10:38 PM
Nice work TTIT! You did well to keep that bark on that lovely lidded bowl! Just looks superb!:)

TTIT
14th August 2006, 12:48 AM
Well I'll be buttered on both sides!!!!:D Thanks for the comments guy's but believe it or not, I just slipped the lidded pot in so the forum-member it's going to could see it!:o:o:o It's actually a Pecan crotch - nothing to do with the Budgeroo flitch!:o:o;):D I actually had plans to do more of the pots in a couple of other timbers I've got that hold their bark well like inland rosewood and dead finish. A pleasure to make and everyone seems to like them - very 'pick-up-able'.

Vern, Nice one! Luv da lidded pot :D didja use the vernacut ;) Nah mate! Too small for that rig - only 105W x 65H.

Is the lid grain-matched :eek: or was it turned from another piece? Nah Skew - still haven't worked out how to do that on this form - just turned from another piece as suspected!

RufflyRustic
14th August 2006, 09:32 AM
TTIT - Amazing!!! I have to confess that both pieces are just begging to be picked up and.. welll.. worshipped seems to be the appropriate word here. As for the Pecan Bowl....
http://www.ubeaut.biz/jawdrop.gif

WOW!!!!!!!

Cheers
Wendy

Caveman
15th August 2006, 12:06 AM
Hey TTIT - great stuff. The subject heading caught my attention:) . Nice to see someone with the same tendancies. I however am yet to produce anything as lovely as those pieces! Still practising.