PDA

View Full Version : What bandsaws are woodturners using?

Toasty
13th August 2006, 11:19 AM
G'day All,

I'm curious to know what bandsaws people have here on the woodturning forum. After having less than great success slicing up a block of burl into pen blanks with my Triton (only a 6cm cut into a 10cm blank). And having a heap of big yellowbox pieces out the back that I would like to knock the edges off before mounting them on the lathe. Plus my general desire to finally get a bandsaw I'm now looking for info.

Carbatec seem to have interesting machines at reasonable prices, such as this one (http://www.carbatec.com.au/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=180_320_540_560), but I must confess my knowledge of bandsaws and their features are lacking at the moment...

Of course I am all to aware of the addage yoo's get what yoo's pay for with woodworking machinery... :rolleyes:

The working with wood show is coming to Canberra in early September so I would be curious to hear if anyone has bought a bandsaw from the show this year and what your impression of the prices were.

Thanks in advance.

DJ’s Timber
13th August 2006, 01:46 PM
G'day Toasty

I bought the same machine that you showed. I have been very happy with it. I cut some redgum stumps with it last weekend which you can see here http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=35685 and it cut them like a hot knife thru butter.

hughie
13th August 2006, 05:53 PM
Hi,

For me, Hare & Forbes 1hp 2 speed, max thickness 8'' or 250mm works fine for me. Chosen cos it was the biggest capacity for the best price at the time.

But things to look for would be quality of finish,cast iron table, sturdy fence and mitreing gear if supplied, positive tilt action, at least 1hp motor. If possible roller guides. ease of blade change. I have seen a couple that are ''angina posterior'' type for changeing blades.
But......$$$$$ will determine the final out come :D :D

Fireman sam
13th August 2006, 07:28 PM
As for me i have a jet 17in & a 14in bansaws ;)
Andrew

cedar n silky
13th August 2006, 10:49 PM
I bought a chiawanese 14inch bandsaw (second hand) over 10 years ago, and it was one of my better tool investments.:cool: I use a bandsaw all the time (in preference to drop sawing and table sawing if I can!) I burnt the cheap and nasty motor out eventually, and dropped an Australian made motor in. I also bought a riser block kit which lifts the height about another 8 inches, which is great for bigger bowl blanks. You can buy very aggressive blades for fast cutting of bowl blanks.:eek:
I beefed up the base of mine with 16mm ply as it was a bit tinny down below. Check out a couple of web sites, as the prices vary- if you know what I mean!!;)

Skew ChiDAMN!!
13th August 2006, 11:06 PM
For me, Carbatechs' SBW-3501. $10 more and only single speed, but I've found it to be practically bulletproof, esp. when enhanced with a decent fence & roller guides.

With cool-blocks, I can reliably cut 2mm veneers from 4" redgum posts. :)

My only complaint is the positioning of the 4" dustport: in the middle of the lower door! :eek: Silly bloody place... collects sweet FA and gotta disconnect the DC every time I change a blade.

Toasty
14th August 2006, 09:26 PM
G'day Skewie,
For me, Carbatechs' SBW-3501. $10 more and only single speed, but I've found it to be practically bulletproof, esp. when enhanced with a decent fence & roller guides.
Can you help me out with some specifics here between the BAS-350 and the SBW-3501? On spec (at least) the BAS-350 appears to be the superior bandsaw:

BAS-350
2 speed
1-1/3hp motor
deeper cut depth (200mm)

SBW-3501
Single speed
0.75-1hp motor
150mm depth of cut

I am willing to be edumacated.

Waldo
14th August 2006, 10:01 PM
I am willing to be edumacated.

G'day Toasty,

That's e d u c a t e d. :D

Skew ChiDAMN!!
14th August 2006, 10:40 PM
A few things decided me...

Firstly, what I wanted it for. 'Twas only to be used for turning blanks (well, so I thought at the time :rolleyes: ) so multiple speeds wasn't really a consideration. As for the depth of cut, if I was regularly cutting 6" pieces (150mm) I'd be looking for a more industrial machine and I'd be in a completely different shop! :D Even at the lower HP, if you stall out the SBW during a cut then you're doing something seriously wrong... IMHO a correctly set up BS should cut like butter, not need horses to drag it's way through. [shrug] I imagine the BAS's extra HP would be handy for the deeper cut though, IF I ever cut 8"

Secondly I dropped into the showroom and asked to play with a couple of the demo models. This was back when Gustec was still part of the family and they were more than happy to oblige. They even supplied a chunk of pallet bearer for me to chew through. :) I was more impressed by the table and fence on the SBW than the equivalent BAS. (Which I think 'twas the 350, but I'm not sure.)

Thirdly, I played monkey bars on 'em when the salesman wasn't looking. :o I don't like saws that flex when under tension.

Lastly and by no means least: I had a chat with a couple of fellow turners I knew from elsewhere, who'd come over to see why some silly bugger was doing a Zed imitation on the machines. Both had an SBW-3501 at home and said they hadn't had a moment's problem. I didn't (and still don't) know anyone with the BAS. Well... not anyone I can drop in on for some serious comparison tests.

The fact that I negotiated a cheaper price off the books wasn't really a factor, as I'd already decided by then. I assume I could've got a similar discount for the BAS if I'd tried. (Geeze, I miss Gustec! :( )

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying mine's the better buy. Just that it's the one I bought and I also haven't had a moments problem with it. Except for operator error, but that's hardly the BS's fault, eh?

Toasty
14th August 2006, 10:43 PM
Thanks Skewy, that is some great info.

jacko
14th August 2006, 10:50 PM
fyi, I riginally bought a two speed H&F with a 7" cut. Fitted roller guides, modified to give a good zero position, added brushes to wheels, other tweeks. Never really happy. Finally bought a 16" Jet. Now that is a real machine! Has all my additions and tweeks off the bat. Solid tool, worth the price differential. decent sized table, fence that can be removed without taking off the rails, easy to adust blade thrust bearings, only bottom inside one is a bit of a bugger, but you learn to deal with it. Added a laguna Resaw King blade and now we have a tool with PBM! (that's Pure Bloody Majic to the uninitiated)
jacko

rbjozzia
15th August 2006, 01:14 AM
When I set up the work shop I purchased an Elektra Beckam BAs 500. This has about 14" width and 12" depth of cut so is excellent for cutting big bowl blanks. The table is of aluminium but thats OK. The trunnion bolt had one of those silly plastic wing nut doovers molded on to it and this soon gave way, a friend made me a decent nut more equal to the task. its a bit fiddly to set up but once done it maintains its tune. I run 3/8" blades the less teeth the better for cutting green wood and mabe a 1/2" for resawing. All in all a good performer.

Robin

rsser
15th August 2006, 10:11 AM
Taiwanese job with 6" cut; would def now opt for 8 or 10"

Gil Jones
15th August 2006, 10:20 AM
So far, it is just my chainsaw and tablesaw.

bloggs1968
15th August 2006, 10:07 PM
Hi guys,

I'm running an Aggazanni 24" and a jet 14" deluxe. The big aga is now the most used piece of gear in my workshop. Just wonderful to use.

AD

rowie
15th August 2006, 10:27 PM
i am still using(abusing) an old 14" "pentagon" (chiwanese??) i bought s/hand about 17 years ago and it is still going. i have replaced the old table with a larger version, beefed up the tracking adjustment and added my own riser system to increase the cut to nearly 8". definitely my favorite tool in the shed.

meerkat
16th August 2006, 09:45 AM
G'day Toasty,

That's e d u c a t e d. :D

Lucky he doesn't have a peach inspediment:D

Toasty
10th September 2006, 05:09 PM
Thanks for all your great help everyone. I bought a JET 14" bandsaw in the end (non deluxe version). $625.00 from GPW who was at the Canberra Working With Wood Show this weekend. I also got the JET fence for it too.

Still in the boxes at the moment as I want to read a book I have on order before setting it up and loosing a digit. If I don't assemble it I won't be tempted :rolleyes:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
10th September 2006, 08:02 PM
I'm sure you'll find plenty of use for it, regardless of brand. :)

Still in the boxes at the moment as I want to read a book I have on order before setting it up and loosing a digit. If I don't assemble it I won't be tempted :rolleyes:

:eek: You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din.

Toasty
10th September 2006, 09:01 PM
You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din.
Nah, I'm also buggered from a weekend at Bombala for a bike rally. Too tired to even contemplate putting my fingers near a new flesh gnashing machine...