PDA

View Full Version : Couple of Domino ideas

Flowboy
19th August 2006, 06:03 PM
Hi everyone,

Just two thoughts
1. It would be really nice to have a clip on the Domi for holding the tiny little spanner.

2. I had a thought about box construction when using say 12-15mm deep timber on boxes with mitred edges. A simple cut of the domino to the length of the dowel or maybe two or three in larger boxes or those dealing with more joint stress(??) and then inserting the dowell vertically, so that e.g. a 10x50 would now be 50mm long and 5mm deep in each face of the joint. This would to me anyway be a better alternative to Epoxy and stronger than straight mitreing. The other alternative is to use the 5mm dowels, but at times even these may be too long when used in their conventional manner.
Let me know if I'm blowing it out my hat, but it seems good to me. I'm going to try it next weekend. (Its safer than Lock mortises too)

Regards

Rob

John Saxton
19th August 2006, 07:54 PM
Rob,in respect of the spanner I would consider drilling a small hole thru the end of it ,then with a key-ring it could sit on the power cord, I've done this in the past with small spanners etc for convenience.

In regards to using the 10x50 along the mitre in light material I think you may have a good idea but suggest you try it on some scrap first rather than your good timber.
STRENGTH wise it should be ok for the purchase you have of 5mm deep bu 50mm long across the mitre.

Cheers:)