PDA

View Full Version : Ebay lathe

chrisb691
19th August 2006, 09:44 PM
Hi all,

This (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/900MM-WOODWORKING-LATHE_W0QQitemZ120018699076QQihZ002QQcategoryZ11810QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem) lathe is currently on ebay. I would appreciate any opinions/comments on it. Would only be used by a weekend warrior. I'm currently turning pens on a GMC, and will be trying my hand at goblets next.

EDIT: Fixed HTML link

ozwinner
19th August 2006, 09:47 PM
The link doesnt work.

Al :)

Tassie Boy
19th August 2006, 09:51 PM
linky dont worky!

chrisb691
19th August 2006, 09:54 PM
linky dont worky!

It works now. You guys hit the post while I was trying to fix the link. Sorry :o

ss_11000
19th August 2006, 10:00 PM
looks like a standard mc 900, only thing different is the RRP and the speed range. watch the price doesnt go above $300, because by the time you add on postage etc, you can go to carrols or carbatec etc. and get one knowing you have got good service if its stuffed.

Tassie Boy
19th August 2006, 10:14 PM
I dont know about the lathe but it looks like a MC900which are available at carbatech.

But personally i wouldnt trust the seller at all..
look at all his negative feedback!
your decision though, good luck

Groggy
19th August 2006, 10:16 PM
looks like a standard mc 900, only thing different is the RRP and the speed range. watch the price doesnt go above $300, because by the time you add on postage etc, you can go to carrols or carbatec etc. and get one knowing you have got good service if its stuffed.Good advice from Stirlo here. I got my MC900 for $250 in VGC/EC second hand, plus some extra bowl rests. I think you could probably do better, and get more accessories by buying from someone who wants to upgrade. Certainly $650 RRP is over the top.

ss_11000
19th August 2006, 10:37 PM
thanx groggy.

also, the lathe on ebay doesnt say its swivel head and if you plan on doing bowls you are best suited to having this feature.
hope this helps you chris:)
cheers

hughie
19th August 2006, 10:44 PM
lathe is currently on ebay. I would appreciate any opinions/comments on it. Would only be used by a weekend warrior. I'm currently turning pens on a GMC, and will be trying my hand at goblets next.

Chris, nothing wrong with the lathe, its ideal for what you want. But he quotes $649 retail..........tell 'im he's dreamin'

This link has it at $389 with warranty WL-18 which is the same lathe
http://www.hareandforbes.com.au/sample_2/home.php.

Buy a newy, get the warranty, or buy as Groggy says.

olddog
19th August 2006, 11:10 PM
same lathe price is about right
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/36-X12-SWIVEL-HEAD-TYPE-WOOD-TURNING-LATHE-W-STAND_W0QQitemZ250019519843QQihZ015QQcategoryZ11810QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

chrisb691
20th August 2006, 05:41 PM
HI All,

Thanks for all the feedback. I asked for more information from the vendor. Secifically, what accessories does it come with, and does it have the swivel head. I checked all the links provided, and notice that this doesn't appear to have the locking for the head swivel. I get the right response, I'll bid on it.

chrisb691
20th August 2006, 05:56 PM
I dont know about the lathe but it looks like a MC900which are available at carbatech.

But personally i wouldnt trust the seller at all..
look at all his negative feedback!
your decision though, good luck

Yes the feedbacks always gets a look at. I read 7 pages of his feeback, includes a fair few big ticket item ($300 - $600). The feedback is generally quite acceptable. Yes he's got 4 negatives in recent times, but 2 of those buyers have given other sellers bad feedback, so they could just be difficult people to get on with. Other than that, 58 negatives in 4200 is a pretty good record.

duckman
20th August 2006, 06:08 PM
Yes the feedbacks always gets a look at. I read 7 pages of his feeback, includes a fair few big ticket item ($300 - $600). The feedback is generally quite acceptable. Yes he's got 4 negatives in recent times, but 2 of those buyers have given other sellers bad feedback, so they could just be difficult people to get on with. Other than that, 58 negatives in 4200 is a pretty good record.

The decision is of course but reading his feedback distilled via this website, I wouldn't take the risk, not when you can buy one brand new from a reputable dealer for probably not much more than this one will go for.:)

Click the link below to see what I mean. I'd also like to know why most of the item numbers have been made private.:confused:
http://www.toolhaus.org/cgi-bin/negs?User=bayelic&Dirn=Received+by

Tassie Boy
20th August 2006, 06:11 PM

yes i suppose your right. 58 in 4200 is a pretty good record.
Im still not sure i would buy off him though. i probably would if it was a good item for a good price.:rolleyes:
good luck.