PDA

View Full Version : Cypress as a work bench top

Strungout
21st August 2006, 09:12 PM
I have some cypress flooring left over and was thinking about using it on my new workbench top.

Any comments or ideas.

Thanks

Greg

craigb
21st August 2006, 09:31 PM
Well I guess it wouldn't be as durable as hardwood, but hey, it's free. :)

Wizened of Oz
21st August 2006, 09:33 PM
As someone who once owned a house built with cypress framing and floors, I wouldn't dream of doing so.
Brittle mongrel stuff subject to splitting.

Auld Bassoon
21st August 2006, 09:58 PM
As Brian says, very brittle, rather soft and typically full of knot holes :eek: It may be 'free', but I'd strongly suggest something else.

craigb
21st August 2006, 10:06 PM
I guess it depends on how flash you're planning on making your workbench.

If it's just going to be a few planks on some bolted together 2 x 4 well why not use the Cypress?

However, if you plan on making a full on woodworker's bench with dog holes , tail vice etc then don't spoil it by putting on an inferior top.

Bodgy
21st August 2006, 11:12 PM
The only way this would be even half acceptable is if you laminated at least three layers together, glued and clamped. If you have the energy and alternated the direction of each layer then it would be pretty schmik, but remember it's still very soft and would scar easily.

If you're going to the trouble of cutting dog holes and mounting vices etc, I'd say just get some 2 x 4 hardwood. You won't regret it.

Studley 2436
22nd August 2006, 12:51 AM
My first workbench that I knocked up 2 years ago is a cypress pine top made from left over flooring. It is holding up well. I have a grinder screwed straight onto it and use one end for sharpening, as well as it serving as an extension for my mitre saw.

Cypress deserves a better rep than it gets. It is reasonably hard, much harder than radiata. It is brittle. I found this when I was routing Roman Ogees and the like. Big bits could suddenly shatter and be thrown off. Any other time I have noticed nothing so far as brittleness.

It is decent timber and will serve you well. If it is just a benchtop then if it wears or marks up too much you could just pull it off and put something else on. My own work bench top is left over radiata door jambs, and the structure is left overs from a stud wall! I have been thinking lately that one day I should get around to doing something better but it still serves me well

Studley

Bondy1s
22nd August 2006, 09:32 PM
Don't knock cypress pine. It is an elegant and durable australian timber, it has a huge natural colour variation and finishes well. It is inclined to be brittle during machining if you are not careful but with a little patience will produce an excellent finished product. Cypress flooring would be good for the well in a well type workbench or laminated for a solid top, less susceptable to bruising than a whole lot of other imported or plantation timbers. And if it is free then so much the better!

Harry72
22nd August 2006, 10:01 PM
Isnt cypress known for being a very hardy soft wood?

Bondy1s
22nd August 2006, 10:35 PM
Isnt cypress known for being a very hardy soft wood?
Correct, Harry, cypress is tough and durable, excellent for framing and naturally termite resistant. It dresses well and makes great polished flooring with plenty of character (sorry I sound like a cypress salesman).As a builder, I use cypress on a regular basis as I am in the heart of cypress country and prefer it over exotic framing timbers which usually require chemical treatment to give protection from termites etc.

Andy Mac
22nd August 2006, 10:47 PM
I'd describe it as hard, but brittle and prone to splitting when nailed. Usually has many knots which make it difficult to plane. My woodwork bench is cypress, frame and top, but much thicker than a floorboard.:p My metalwork bench has a frame of cypress. They've been serviceable benches for well over 10 years, with many projects over them. I reckon t&g floorboards would be OK for an assembly bench top, but not a workbench, unless laminated.
If I had my preference neither of mine would be cypress, and a hate the smell of the stuff when sanded, but it was all salvaged from a building site so no complaints.:rolleyes:

Cheers,

Doughboy
22nd August 2006, 10:59 PM
I used cypress as framework in my current workbench 4000mm x 2000mm, for the top i have used four inch redgum boards. I have made this bench so I can break it down if ever I should want to move it. It can be split in half and takes two strong blokes to move it let alone lift it.

I would not use cypress on the benchtop but that is a personal choice.

Pete

Tankstand
27th August 2006, 05:26 PM
Does anyone know the going rate of Cypress per cube or what one should expect to pay?