PDA

View Full Version : vibration

weisyboy
21st August 2006, 09:29 PM
by workshop is under my house and i conected the back of my bench to the verry large (1 ft across 23 ft high) red iron bark posts (taken from this property) however the front of the bench is free standing.

recently i have been having a lot of trouble with the whole bench vibrating, well it actualy jumps up and down about an inch:eek: . I could not understand why it has been slowly getting worse over the last few months. :confused:

then I relised that i had built in a shelf under the bench and as i have been slowly removing and turning the wood the bench has been getting lighter and so there is now nothing holding it down stoping it from jumping.

so i got athinkin :rolleyes: and thought i'd add some weight but how much and what would i use. i decided couple of besa bricks hanging from the bench top should do the trick.

i'll post some pics and let you know how it works.:D

lubbing5cherubs
21st August 2006, 09:52 PM
Hey mate get some more wood. That will fix it..No seriously I can't help but someone else probably will but I just could not resist taht one

Skew ChiDAMN!!
21st August 2006, 10:55 PM
I trust it's only a problem when you're turning unbalanced blanks and not any'n'every time you switch it on!? :eek:

To weigh a bench down (instead of bolting it to the floor) I like to make the bottom shelf into a box, maybe 6" deep. Filled with sand, gravel, bags of conc., anything heavy to hand. The lid becomes the new shelf surface, of course. :)

Or bolt a redgum sleeper to the bottom. Seriously!

rodent
22nd August 2006, 12:48 AM
as skew says try a couple of bags of sand .and a freind of ours WESTY did that and it hasent moved since. oh and his back problem has gone away

Stu in Tokyo
22nd August 2006, 01:21 AM
I've got 5 20 Kg bags of sand in my sand box, and one 25 Kg bag of cement, plus a whole huge pile of boxes of nails for my framing nailer (got to store them somewhere) on my stand, I've put some BIG unbalanced blanks on there, and cranked it up to a fairly HIGH rpm, and barely a wiggle :D

Works for me!!

http://www.ablett.jp/workshop/images/lathe/stand_ballast.jpg

Cheers!

hcbph
22nd August 2006, 03:34 AM
I've heard of many people putting ballast boxes on their lathe and load it up with sand, blocks, wood, cement, anything with weight. On those with hollow legs, I've even heard of filling them with sand, cement etc (though I wouldn't recommend cement as you couldn't ever get it out. I've even heard of anchoring it to the floor plus adding weight. Whatever works for you is the best solution.

Paul

Stu in Tokyo
22nd August 2006, 05:50 AM
I've heard of many people putting ballast boxes on their lathe and load it up with sand, blocks, wood, cement, anything with weight. On those with hollow legs, I've even heard of filling them with sand, cement etc (though I wouldn't recommend cement as you couldn't ever get it out. I've even heard of anchoring it to the floor plus adding weight. Whatever works for you is the best solution.

Paul

I had my first lathe anchored to the floor, the problem was that the floor was the concrete floor in my Dungeon, and late at night up on the 7th floor of our building, in bed, my lovely wife could hear the vibrations..........and I'd get a call on the interphone........ "It's bloody 3 AM what the %&#&%")( are you doing....? STOP IT NOW!!!!" :eek:

So, I made a new stand, and put it on isolation pads, and loaded it up with weight, works great, and my lovely wife can sleep in peace........... so can the rest of the building.... :o

Cheers!

Jeff
22nd August 2006, 06:00 AM
so, lets see....you're outta WOOD, and now she's got a VIBRATION......:D

Stu in Tokyo
22nd August 2006, 09:49 AM
so, lets see....you're outta WOOD, and now she's got a VIBRATION......:D

Nooooo NEVER out of wood dude :cool: and she could "HEAR" a vibration ;) :D