PDA

View Full Version : Paraffin wax

Auzzie turner
22nd August 2006, 10:45 PM
Hi, I am looking at obtaining a large amount of Paraffin wax. I would like to know where you guys think I could get it. I am looking at buying a bulk amount----5kg or more. Any help would be appreciated,

Regards...Joash:)

Harry72
22nd August 2006, 11:31 PM
http://www.online-candle.com/site/878854/product/WAX5KG

http://www.candlemaking.com.au/candle-default.htm

Neil(Ubeaut) may be able to help you too.

Auzzie turner
22nd August 2006, 11:53 PM
thanks

Stuart
23rd August 2006, 12:47 AM
Thanks Harry,

Have just tried that online-candle one. They take paypal too which was a bonus. They say there's no Stearin and it needs to be added. is that and is that just for candlemaking or what?

Harry72
23rd August 2006, 12:55 AM
I think so, must be a hardener or something?

DJ’s Timber
23rd August 2006, 01:08 AM
Thanks Harry,

Have just tried that online-candle one. They take paypal too which was a bonus. Got 5kg coming. They say there's no Stearin and it needs to be added. is that and is that just for candlemaking or what?

G'day Stuart

Did a search on stearin and they say its a hardner for the wax in candle making

Stuart
23rd August 2006, 07:28 AM
Cheers - tried a search, found out it was all sorts of animal product, but not it's use, so appreciate the answer!

Seeing as I don't need it hardened, guess it will be fine as straight paraffin.

I only need to seal the end-grain?

Ivan in Oz
23rd August 2006, 07:35 AM
Hi, I am looking at obtaining a large amount of Paraffin wax.

Just wondering what you're doing with " a large amount of Paraffin " ?
I have " a Large amount of [ Natural ] Bees Wax "

and a small amount of lanolin....for Plastic gears in Speedometers, Tachos and other things.

Stuart
23rd August 2006, 07:41 AM
I imagine he's going to do the same as I am - sealing the ends of green timber so it doesn't split while drying.

KevM
23rd August 2006, 07:48 AM
Hi, I am looking at obtaining a large amount of Paraffin wax. I would like to know where you guys think I could get it. I am looking at buying a bulk amount----5kg or more. Any help would be appreciated,

I buy mine from the local petroleum distributor, same place as I get my log end sealer in 20 litre drums.

Neil also had previously posted the following, he may still have some available:-

I've got plenty, buy it by the tonne. Don't use candles for endgrain sealing they have steric acid in them as a hardener and this makes it flake off the timber after a little while. The best endgrain wax is a mix of beeswax and paraffin about 50/50. Beeswax should be readily available from your local apiarist. If you really must have some paraffin wax I have a few 4 kg blocks @ $12.50 each and a couple of 25 kg bags $65. Not interested in selling smaller quantities.

03 5221 8775

Cheers - Neil :D

Kev M

ubeaut
23rd August 2006, 09:21 AM
Thought you wanted bulk. I have a little over half a tonne at the moment and can supply 60deg melt paraffin in pastille* form in 25 kg bags for a hell of a lot less than quoted on the candle site A HELL OF A LOT LESS!

Sterin or steric acid is used to harden candles and stop them from running too quickly.

Don't use candle wax for end grain sealer as it will break off in sheets because of moisture in the timber. A better mix for end grain sealing is beeswax and paraffin about 50/50 this makes the mix a bit softer so it will hold on to the timber better.

Most apiarists can supply beeswax, often uncleaned so it may contain a bit of bees-barf (honey) and the odd dead bee but it works fine for this application, especially when mixed with paraffin wax.

* pastilles are small beads about 2.5mm diam they are much easier to handle and melt than the solid blocks of paraffin wax.

hughie
23rd August 2006, 10:48 AM
[quote=ubeaut]Thought you wanted bulk. I have a little over half a tonne at the moment and can supply 60deg melt paraffin in pastille* form in 25 kg bags for a hell of a lot less than quoted on the candle site A HELL OF A LOT LESS!

OK I'll bite :D Whats a 25kg bag worth and how much to get it to Sydney? Or do you have an outlet here in Sydney?

rsser
23rd August 2006, 12:08 PM
FWIW Usually good suburban h/w shops carry the stuff in bulk.

(Jam makers often use it to seal the tops of their jars).

Stuart
23rd August 2006, 12:28 PM
Brain must have been numb last night - of course Neil has it - duh. Just too much on my mind at the moment.

hughie
23rd August 2006, 02:45 PM
Usually good suburban h/w shops carry the stuff in bulk.

Ern,

we only have Bunnies...............:(

Caltex has it 20kgs $73.00+GST, along with timber sealer 20L $91.40+GST

rsser
23rd August 2006, 04:10 PM
Yeah, most of our local blokes have gone bust, but there's a Mitre10 20 minutes away still hanging in there.

Wizened of Oz
23rd August 2006, 04:44 PM
I imagine he's going to do the same as I am - sealing the ends of green timber so it doesn't split while drying.

Wax emulsion for timber end sealing, Mobilceram. Get it from Mobil fuel depots.

Edit
That should be Mobil CER-M ( I think) but just ask for "End Check"

rsser
23rd August 2006, 04:48 PM
What's the min volume you have to buy Brian?

btw, for timbers that show a lot of shrinkage wax is the better option than paint-on sealers in my experience. It is of course also a pain since you need a safe way of heating and applying it.

Wizened of Oz
23rd August 2006, 05:22 PM
[QUOTE=rsser]What's the min volume you have to buy Brian?QUOTE]

As far as I know Mobil End Check is sold only in 20L drums, $77.75. Too much? Maybe share with a few others in your area.
Carba-Tec have it in 2L, about $20.

TTIT
23rd August 2006, 05:34 PM
As far as I know Mobil End Check is sold only in 20L drums, $77.75. Too much? Maybe share with a few others in your area.
Carba-Tec have it in 2L, about $20. Can't go past the MobilcerM in my book. I've seen woodies spend a lot more on things they use less and 20 litres goes a damn long way. I've been painting log-ends and blanks for about 12 months and wouldn't be halfway through the drum yet. Easy to apply, easy to clean up. IMHO - bugger the wax!

ubeaut
24th August 2006, 12:09 AM
Mobilcer M and others are ok for endgrain but really aren't much good for sealing bowl blanks as the stuff is often taken deep into the pores of the timber causing bad discolouration etc. These endgrain products were developed originally for orchards to paint on to limbs after pruning. They were engineered to soak into the end grain and protect the wound from the weather etc.

The paraffin I have in 25 kg bags will cost $66 Gst incl
freight to Syd $16
Total $82 as opposed to $100+ in round figures for 25kg from Caltex or most others.

Not fussed if I sell it or not. It is worth 10 times that much to me when it is added to our polishes.

Cheers - Neil :)

Stuart
24th August 2006, 01:32 AM
I'll be up for a bag Neil :)

Now to find some bees wax.......

hughie
24th August 2006, 02:09 AM
Now to find some bees wax.......
[/QUOTE]

Stuart, I bought mine from Bindaree 15 per kg and they can send 3kgs for the same as 1 kg. Prompt mail service no worries.

: Bindaree Bee Supplies ([email protected]) email
http://www.bindaree.com.au/

and or
http://www.honeybee.com.au/

Stuart
24th August 2006, 10:56 AM
This BB is an endless wealth of knowledge!

Cheers Hughie :)

Wood Butcher
24th August 2006, 07:06 PM
Stuart, I bought mine from Bindaree 15 per kg and they can send 3kgs for the same as 1 kg. Prompt mail service no worries.

: Bindaree Bee Supplies ([email protected]) email
http://www.bindaree.com.au/

and or
http://www.honeybee.com.au/

$15/kg:eek::eek::eek::eek: The wholesale price that beekeepers are being paid is around $6/kg (set by Capilano)

Get the yellow pages out and look for "Apiarists". Buy some direct from a beekeeper and save your pennies. (If you have problems finding one let me know, I worked in the industry for 10yrs;))

Don Nethercott
24th August 2006, 08:37 PM
Good to know you sell the paraffin Neil. Been buying mine by the 500g from the local craft shop. Expensive part is the beeswax. I have been mixing the two waxes using 5 to 10% beeswax. This seems to have enough flexibility to stop cracking when sealing my blanks.

I mix it in an old electric frypan and dip or roll the blanks in the mixture. Easy to do and effective.

Don