PDA

View Full Version : Lace sheoak bowl.

Auzzie turner
24th August 2006, 06:10 PM
Hi, this is Joash........again:cool:

Here is another of my bowls. It is Lace Sheoak-------out of our timber:rolleyes: Sanded to 2500 g, and finished with shellawax cream. Pictures don't do it justice. 235mmx70mm. I think this is one of my favourite pieces. What are your comments/suggestions...........critiscim:rolleyes: ? Post anything you want about it. I'm all ears....eyes:confused: Thanks for looking,

Regards.........Joash

Oh and ah, that is a picture of me holding one of my burls, it is a flooded gum burl, and will be entered into the 2007 W.A wood show(when its finished of course:D )

Wood Borer
24th August 2006, 07:08 PM
Lovely timber the sheoak, although I am not a turner, your work looks great.

DJ’s Timber
24th August 2006, 07:26 PM
G'day Joash

Beautiful bowl. In pict 4 the lip of the rim looks like it needs a bit more scraping/sanding otherwise great job.

Was the flooded gum burl flattened with a Woodwizz router table?

Auzzie turner
24th August 2006, 07:28 PM
dunno

Bluegum
24th August 2006, 08:34 PM
Nice work Joash looks really good mate. Inspiring work I have to say.:D

Auzzie turner
24th August 2006, 08:40 PM
Here is another couple of pictures of the burl. I have put water on it to bring out the grain. What are your ideas for shapes/ideas etc: As you could see when I was holding it, it is a very large burl, and I don't want it to go to waste.

lubbing5cherubs
24th August 2006, 09:32 PM
nice

Skew ChiDAMN!!
24th August 2006, 09:39 PM
How thick is it? If it's more than a few inches, a bowl saver would possibly pay for itself on the first use...

Auzzie turner
24th August 2006, 09:47 PM
The blank is 130mm thick. Where can I get one of those bowl savers at the cheapest price? Thanks for all the nice comments.

ss_11000
24th August 2006, 09:50 PM
great bowl mate, i like the profile of it.

nice little burl you got there to.

Auzzie turner
24th August 2006, 09:53 PM
nice little burl you got there too.

Little:confused: :p

ss_11000
24th August 2006, 10:14 PM
Little:confused: :p

yep, little:p :p .

dont worry, i'm only joking:D .

Skew ChiDAMN!!
24th August 2006, 10:57 PM
The blank is 130mm thick. Where can I get one of those bowl savers at the cheapest price? Thanks for all the nice comments.

Sorry, that was a bit of tongue-in-cheek. :o Bowl savers tend to be exxy... the last time I looked they were between $300 and $500 depending on brand/type and I don't think the burl cost quite that much.

I wouldn't be surprised to see certain timber suppliers around here asking close to that figure for similar sized burls, though. :(

hughie
25th August 2006, 01:14 AM
Joash,

Hmmm interesting name....anyway the bowl looks good. Heres my 10cents worth, maybe look at taking more out of the centre under the curved lip to increase the internal area.

The burl, nice very nice....sigh. Maybe look at a wok type shape to really show of the colour and grain structure and use organoil hard burnishing oil, wet sanding several times. This will bring up a glass smooth surface, after its dried, you can put on as much shine or not as you wish on it.

Heres a few bowl shapes I pulled off the net for inspiration.
keep the piccys coming, your getting better at this turning stuff :D

RufflyRustic
25th August 2006, 09:32 AM
Hi Joash

Love that sheoak!!! I like the bowl, though I find the top lip section unusual i.e. I haven't seen a lip like that before :)

Keep up your great work. I've been thoroughly enjoying seeing your work and how you have really improved with all the helpful feedback you've received from the forum. (gee, that has a bit of de ja vu in it:D )

Cheers
Wendy

Auzzie turner
25th August 2006, 11:17 AM
Thanks for all the comments, and I'll take it all into consideration,

Gil Jones
25th August 2006, 11:27 AM
Fine looking bowl, Joash!!

Fireman sam
26th August 2006, 12:10 AM
Hi joash
your burl was flattened by a wood wizz i could tell by the markes on the burl as i have a wood wizz :)
Andrew

Wild Dingo
26th August 2006, 01:59 AM
Joash...

mmmmmm

Your only 14???

mmmmm

And you turned that sheoak bowl?

mmmm

AND!!!! to top it off youve got that bloody great burl?

mmmm

I hate you :eek:

no seriously I do :o

No I mean it :p

I mean thats just downright unfair!!! :rolleyes:

Here I am an old phart nearin 50 who is JUST NOW gettin into woodbutcherin and theres you a wee nipper doin turning like that??????? TALK ABOUT CRUEL INJUSTICE!!! :( I mean I can turn me a fair pen and I can turn me a fair cylinder :cool: BUT I CANT TURN A FRIGGIN BOWL TO SAVE ME FLAMIN LIFE! :mad: and there you are young just outta flamin nappies turnin such fine things as that bowl???:eek:

talk about UNFRIGGINFAIR!!! thats just sooooooooooooooo uncool dude! :o

sigh... but I gotta be nice... its just me nature mate... yeah yeah I know its hard to be humble when Im such a flamin excellent chappy but thats just me eh?... so...

WELL DONE JOASH :cool:

damned kids! ;)

PS... please just ignore the git down south hes just jealous :D Good stuff mate... wanna come teach an ol phart? ;)

Cheers!
Shane

Auzzie turner
31st August 2006, 01:20 PM
I may be able to give you a few lessons :) :rolleyes: :cool:

Skewpid
31st August 2006, 06:57 PM
How thick is it? If it's more than a few inches, a bowl saver would possibly pay for itself on the first use...

Errrm .. whats a bowl saver?

I had an immediate vision of some kid employed at silly mid-on with a helmet, ready to catch my burl should it fly off the lathe at 1200 RPM . .

Skew ChiDAMN!!
31st August 2006, 07:30 PM
Think of it as an ice-cream scoop for bowl blanks. :D

Scoop out the middle and use it to make another bowl... with a good saver you can scoop out the scoop, etc. and get a set of "nested" bowls from the one blank.

Auzzie turner
31st August 2006, 08:40 PM
BOWL SAVER THREAD (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=24896)

Skewpid
31st August 2006, 08:48 PM
ah .. gotit

Forgot they were called that. Shoulda just called em . . bowl scoopers or . . ok, bowl savers . .. .

rich.

soundman
1st September 2006, 06:17 PM
Warning ...... anther one of soundman's twisted thaughts follows.
Joash mate next time the UFO nuts come to town open a stall with a whole pile of stuff that looks like that line it up with some lame story that you were taught by aliens and this bowl is a stylised image of their ship and you will make a mint.

Oh BTW you will have to come up with some weird personality trait and get your parents to work up some I was abducted by aliens story and help you on the stall.
Then you will have to write a book about wood turning and aliens and do a tour of the states.

Also as no body knows what causes burl you could come up with a story about it being caused by cosmic rays or aliens or something

:D :D :D

Nice bowl .... looks like a flying saucer

cheers

tashammer
2nd September 2006, 11:15 AM
Sorry, that was a bit of tongue-in-cheek. :o Bowl savers tend to be exxy... the last time I looked they were between $300 and $500 depending on brand/type and I don't think the burl cost quite that much.

I wouldn't be surprised to see certain timber suppliers around here asking close to that figure for similar sized burls, though. :(

That's yer own fault fer living in Croydon, another part of the treeless urb and sub desert where everyone gets a sun tan under their chin(s) from the light and heat bouncing off the concrete.

i remember...blah,blah,blah...when Croydon were nowt at all and dirt roads were made out of rock cos dirt had happened yet.

Then the last dinosaur of its species died there so they named it after the last croydonius monomacropodus. They were like sharks in respect of the fact that they always had to be on the move or they would die. Except with croydonius it had to keep moving because it only had one huge foot and an even bigger head which meant a very high centre of gravity. This meant it was only able to eat of a very restricted diet. If the plants were too low, it would fall over and die - one foot, 3" arms - goodbye dinosaur. Because croydy was always hopping to keep its balance the only real time it got to eat was on windy days when the vegetation was on the move too.

Some folks wondered for years about why such a strange creature could survive at all in the place given it size (bloody big), its morphology (odd, definitely odd) and its seriously restricted diet.

They finally worked it out that it had developed at the earliest times when critters where still umming and ahhing about coming on land or not. Croydy's ancestors had strayed a bit too far from the waters edge and didn't get back in time so they had to mate, evolve and modify in a very short space of time; they weren't very successful as you can tell from the skeletons and models in the Museum. Luckily they were able to eat the vegetation.

In fact the croydonius monomacropodus was a fish eater that had no need for hands. What became the oddest looking single foot was actually a buggered up tail brought about by a serious lack of timely evolution in mating adaptations.

You see, it makes a difference when you look into the history of a place and don't buy into the "official" version which usually tries to tidy things up and make them "nice". Poppycock and pshaw to the cleaners.

The interesting thing is that the grubby little Brits (you try living in a cramped ship the size of 10 rowboats with sails) took the Croydon name back to England where it caught the eye of nomenclaturist after the Prince, who was interested in paeleontology had commented on the Royal Society's presentation regarding the discovery of croydonius monomacropodus.

The Prince had a fairly keen interest in paeleontology as he was under the mistaken impression that it would enable him to get some really large bones for his huntin' dogs (they were hounds actually, but tradition being what it is etc). The Prince's dogs were also disappointed as they had suffered under the same mistaken idea. In fact, when they discovered the error they tried to indicate their displeasure by eating the Prince. This was the one and only time that the prince had ever actually hit what he was aiming at - modern day "greenies" would love the prince as he, apart from this one exception, never hit anything alive.

At the time, the death of the dogs proved extremely fortuitous in a diplomatic sense for the Ambassador of Korea was round for a meal at the Palace and London was out of dogmeat. So the Prince assisted his Mum, the Queen, avoid a blooper with the meal. The fact that the Ambassador really hated dogs meat and had been looking forwards to a pie and chips with mushy peas totally escaped the diplomatic corps. The result set back Korea-England relations many years which always, until recently, puzzled the Poms who thought things had gone swimmingly well. The release of official records covering that period of time clarified matters and added another stain to the royal tapestry.