PDA

View Full Version : HSC Work Assessment

Sculptured Box
24th August 2006, 10:38 PM
Hi

In response to a request to assess the work of a HSC student (his Major woodworking Project) I propose to use the following criteria.

Please feel free to offer your own assessment of this adjudication process

Box Making Assessment Criteria

Technical skills

(a) Use of Machine - e.g. bandsaw cut which is uneven or the consequential excessive loss of timber
(b) Skill – e.g. the quality of the dovetail/finger joint
(c) Appearance and quality of the work’s finish, e.g. machine marks removed, does the finish emphasise the qualities of the timber
(d) Innovation – use of new methods of construction

Creativity / Design Skills

(a) Originality – the extent to which the work is original
(b) Innovation – e.g. the use of new features such as the incorporation of different elements which compliment the beauty of the timber such as glass or metal

Functionality

(a) Is the finished work fit for the purpose for which it was intended

Craftsmanship – Overall assessment

thank you for your help,

ss_11000
24th August 2006, 10:55 PM
(b) Innovation – e.g. the use of new features such as the incorporation of different elements which compliment the beauty of the timber such as glass or metal

would that also include secret compartments etc

Groggy
24th August 2006, 11:01 PM
That seems fair and reasonable - he will be told this before he builds the box I guess?

Wood Butcher
24th August 2006, 11:06 PM
I dont know what the curriculum is in NSw for Senior Tech Studies, but in QLD assessment criteria is based on the objectives defined by the Studies Authority. SO......

Have the criteria that you are marking against been outlined to the student when they were given the task? (really important)

Because - it is not fair to assess the student on for example:
if it was not specified that they have to have incorporated materials.

I know this may sound petty, but in QLD there are very specific guidlines that MUST be followed. Surely there are similar guidelins in NSW?

Skew ChiDAMN!!
24th August 2006, 11:09 PM
A couple of other things I'd take into account:

Technical skills

(e) Degree of difficulty - a slightly marred handcut dovetail should, IMHO, be valued more than a perfect butt joint.

Creativity / Design Skills

(c) Understanding and use of proportions - after all, these can make all the difference between a piece being the epitome of elegance and downright fugly.

ian
24th August 2006, 11:10 PM
Tony PM Andrew_F he teaches this stuff

As I understand the HSC the assessment should include
• documentation from design brief through to finished article
• functionality
• eye appeal (grain matches vs grain clashes, finish imperfections, etc)
• workmanship
innovation and originality would gardner extra marks, not be part of the "normal" assessment

But apart from all that, being the HSC there should be a formal guide for assesors, otherwise how can the system be "fair" this might be it http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/syllabus_hsc/pdf_doc/ind_tech_prac_markguide.pdf
or this one: http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/syllabus_hsc/pdf_doc/industrial_timb_specexam.pdf

ian

Sculptured Box
24th August 2006, 11:15 PM
I dont know what the curriculum is in NSw for Senior Tech Studies, but in QLD assessment criteria is based on the objectives defined by the Studies Authority. SO......

Have the criteria that you are marking against been outlined to the student when they were given the task? (really important)

Because - it is not fair to assess the student on for example:
if it was not specified that they have to have incorporated materials.

I know this may sound petty, but in QLD there are very specific guidlines that MUST be followed. Surely there are similar guidelins in NSW?

Wood B

Good point, I don't know. the situation is that the student sent me an email some time ago asking whether I would be prepared to assess his Major Work project. I said yes and heard nothing more until earlier this week, he has now asked for a response by Saturday! I do not know what or how such an assessment will impact on his HSC results. I am happy to provide a limited/qualified assessment.

What I am attempting to do by asking the question is to establish some criteria for the future, for my own and our general use. Who knows we may in the future asked to judge each others work and this criteria may be useful then?

Sculptured Box
24th August 2006, 11:18 PM
Ian and everyone else so far,

thank you for your input, the more I hear the more uncomfortable I am becoming and therefore the more qualified my assessment will be!

Gumby
24th August 2006, 11:18 PM
You forgot to add Graft, Payola, and Bribery. You have to give an enterprising but totally ungifted pupil a fair go too. :D

Sculptured Box
24th August 2006, 11:21 PM
You forgot to add Graft, Payola, and Bribery. You have to give an enterprising but totally ungifted pupil a fair go too. :D

Gumby

no amount of that ever helped me, look at me now poor and penniless, but happy!

ian
24th August 2006, 11:39 PM
Tony,

don't be fazed.
If I've found the right document, the assessment is in two parts, the written documentation and the project. For the prioject the criteria are:

The major project product provides practical evidence of the student’s level of achievement in their chosen focus area. Of particular relevance will be the range and depth of skills and knowledge evident in choosing materials and technologies, executing processes and solving problems.

Assessment criteria

- quality of the product

- evidence of a range of skills
- degree of difficulty
- links between planning and production
- evidence of industrial processes
- use of appropriate materials
- use of industrial technologies
- evidence of solutions to problems in production

The guide then goes on to suggest what level of effort constitutes an 80–100% effort, 60–80%, and so on.

be flattered that you're considered an expert

ian

Sculptured Box
24th August 2006, 11:49 PM
Ian

thank you, there are obviously only certain criteria upon which I can now comment on and will keep to those.

I will ask the young man if I can publish the image of his work on this Forum, it is excellent work and creative.

Be good

Gumby
24th August 2006, 11:52 PM
Gumby

no amount of that ever helped me, look at me now poor and penniless, but happy!

See, start off on the right foot and see what happens. Not for this little black duck. :D Success by suction, it's the only way. ;) :D

RufflyRustic
25th August 2006, 09:47 AM
Congrats Tony! I think this is a honour - difficult? yes, but well worth the effort.

Is there any room for marking the finish? Is the finish applied well i.e. no streaks/brush marks etc. Is the finish appropriate to the style of project and the timber used?

Cheers
Wendy

eddie the eagle
26th August 2006, 07:19 PM
G'day Tony,

I'm the Andrew F that Ian referred to (Hullo Ian).

We teach this subject but not this student - I need to be a bit cautious in response as marking deadlines are rapidly approaching.

We're currently in the middle of the HSC marking cycle and all supporting Industrial Technology documentation was due to be submitted to the school by 9am 21 August (marking 21/8-1/9), but the criteria that we assess against are exactly as Ian has specified. The written folio counts for more in the washup than the project, as we mark on what the student has shown s/he can do, with the folio showing us how they went about doing things.

I'd be guessing that the student has come to you for a supporting letter to tell the markers of your thoughts, as an independent expert, on the student's effort. This is more commonly done in D&T (Design and Technology) than it is in Industrial Technology. These are both Yr12 subjects. Submission for D&T projects is this coming Monday, 9am (completed tomorrow, Sun) so I'm guessing/hoping that the student's doing Design and Technology as opposed to Industrial Technology. (the focus in D&T is in using available resources to expand on an existing idea - innovation not invention, developing a quality solution. The focus in Ind.Tech is to design and make an object in predominantly one material only, mimicking the resources and technology used to build commercially available objects. Ian's given you the Ind Tech marking guidelines, I can't locate my D&T marking guidelines.)

Basically, I'd write the supporting documentation to the following marking guidelines for Design and Technology, as it looks from what you've said and your photo that it's more likely that this student's doing this subject.

The below links are what the students are assessed on. Ideally, you want to write a short letter supporting the Band 6 guidelines.
http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/syllabus_hsc/pdf_doc/designtech_dpbs.pdf
http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/syllabus_hsc/pdf_doc/design_tech_markguide.pdf

I'm a fan of plain English. The jargon used in the Design and Technology Marking Guideline is:
MDP - Major Design Project
PSE - Product, System or Environment (A Design and Technology project can be either something you touch - a product; something you use, such as a computer system or a webpage; or a planned environment such as a redesign of a building or a shopping centre for a reason. Students need to have the level playing field so they are all assessed equally. How would you assess the bandsawn jewellery box against a webpage for a community group against a dress for a formal occasion against a TV unit against a coffee table. This is the dilemma that the practical project markers are up against every day and the reason that they have about a month's solid training in marking these projects. Before they grade a single student's work, they have marked about 60-80 example projects and have to correspond to the correct grade on each, to ensure integrity of the process.)

Note also that Design and Technology practical project is split into three sections:

15 marks: Project Proposal and Project Management
35 marks: Project Development and Realisation
10 marks: Evaluation

To see what's required for the 60/60 mark, see the detail in the marking guidelines for Design and Technology given above against each of these subheadings, as well as the one-pager - requirements for the band 6 grading.

What I'm guessing that you've been asked to do is to assist the student in their evaluation, but it is a guess. A document on letterhead stating what your thoughts on the project design and execution are, as an independent expert, would assist the student in this regard.

Thankyou for taking the time for this student. It is very much appreciated.

Cheers,

'eddie'

ian
26th August 2006, 07:39 PM
Eddie

my appologies, I couldn't remember the screen name you use on this forum.

ian

eddie the eagle
26th August 2006, 07:46 PM
No dramas Ian, across about four or six forums, I only use two names.

Trust that all is well. I'll be in touch soon for a bit of help on your paying job.

Cheers,

baxter
14th September 2006, 05:02 PM
thank you for your input, the more I hear the more uncomfortable I am becoming and therefore the more qualified my assessment will be!

Tony, can you give us an idea what ended up happening? How involved was your assessment and what effect may it have had on his overall ranking. Did his teachers make any contact with you or were you contacted by other markers?

Sculptured Box
14th September 2006, 07:31 PM
John H

As I understand the result of the assessment process is made known only when the HSC results are published - perhaps those better informed (HSC teachers) could set the record straight?

baxter
14th September 2006, 09:04 PM
Tony,
I appreciate the results etc. are not known yet. Just wondering how you approached the situation and whether you are aware if your input was taken into account in the final assessment. I am not attempting to pre-empt the students marking.