PDA

View Full Version : is this a good enough dusty for a lathe

ss_11000
26th August 2006, 10:25 PM
hi guys,

just wondering because within the next month or so i will get a dusty, and i wanted to know if this is suitabled to be hooked up to my mc900 and gmc bandsaw.

1200cfm seems reasonably good.

also, is it advisable to buy a attatchment to fit to the lathe, or is it not neccesarry? and if so, can someone provide a link to the one that is best ( preferably not home made )

http://www.carbatec.com.au/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=180_350_1390_1420

one other thing:
carbatec or hare and forbes???????????????? not fussed about saving $20 for better quality if it is applicable

http://www.hareandforbes.com.au/sample_2/home.php
(dc-3)

cheers

btw, any thoughts are welcome and if any one owns one of the two...telll me how they go.

Groggy
26th August 2006, 10:52 PM
hi guys,

just wondering because within the next month or so i will get a dusty, and i wanted to know if this is suitabled to be hooked up to my mc900 and gmc bandsaw.

1200cfm seems reasonably good.

also, is it advisable to buy a attatchment to fit to the lathe, or is it not neccesarry? and if so, can someone provide a link to the one that is best ( preferably not home made )

http://www.carbatec.com.au/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=180_350_1390_1420

one other thing:
carbatec or hare and forbes???????????????? not fussed about saving $20 for better quality if it is applicable

http://www.hareandforbes.com.au/sample_2/home.php
(dc-3)

cheers

btw, any thoughts are welcome and if any one owns one of the two...telll me how they go.Stirlo, the CT one looks the same as the Leda machine that I use. It is more than satisfactory for capturing the dust but don't expect it to get all the shavings.

CT also sell a 'big gulp' attachment on a stand that you can position behind the lathe to pick up the dust.

ss_11000
26th August 2006, 10:55 PM
Stirlo, the CT one looks the same as the Leda machine that I use. It is more than satisfactory for caturing the dust but don't expect it to get all the shavings.

CT also sell a 'big gulp' attachment on a stand that you can position behind the lathe to pick up the dust.

does any body have a "big gulp", and is it worth the $30.

btw thanx groggy

martrix
26th August 2006, 11:03 PM
They are all exactly the same......all come from same mass producing factory in PROC and just get re-badged and marketed accordingly.
I did a "suction" (sorry i'm no engineer:rolleyes: ) test with a Manometer of a "Leda" extractor and a H&F unit....both the same....exact same build too....
Go for the best price, or maybe the H&F unit because it has cloth bag on the bottom, more durable.

I have the H&F unit

Groggy
26th August 2006, 11:11 PM
does any body have a "big gulp", and is it worth the $30.

btw thanx groggyHmm, add 1 part imagination to 1 part determination, mix with some heavy cardboard and.....

ss_11000
26th August 2006, 11:17 PM
Hmm, add 1 part imagination to 1 part determination, mix with some heavy cardboard and.....

it equals a 'big gulp'. now that you mention it, it doesn't look all that hard to copy, cept for the bit that would fit onto the hose:)

DJ’s Timber
26th August 2006, 11:19 PM
G'day Stirlo

Don't think there is much difference between the two as others have said. I would consider getting the one from CT so you could get this nozzle with stand as well
http://www.carbatec.com.au/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=180_350_1660_5290
From my experiences I think you will find that it is virtually impossible to catch all the shaving, so I just put the nozzle next to where I am turning and sanding to catch the fine stuff that we shouldn't be breathing in

Toolin Around
26th August 2006, 11:31 PM
My experience with both single bag and double bag dust collectors is that the single bag units don't offer near enough suction to do a reasonable job. Also use as little flex hose as possible - the more you use the less efficient the collector will be. And use the largest diameter pipe you can also, I don't think 4" pipe is good enough for trying to pull dust and shavings from a lathe. If you go with the single bag collector pipe diameter and flex hose limits will be especially important.

benchdog
26th August 2006, 11:33 PM
stirlo, my recommendation for a young lad like yourself is to do an experiment and make your own dusty, really its not that hard. i made mine using an old washing machine motor. i just designed an impellor to place on the unit instead of the pulley, i cut the pieces out of sheet aluminium and pop rivetted them together. i made a cyclone unit to separate the majority of the dust before it enters the impellor and it gets, dare i say it, ALL the dust from the planer-thicknesser and the jointer. this unit would suck a golf ball through a garden hose. i might even marry it.

benchdog

Tassie Boy
27th August 2006, 12:46 AM
The CT one is $10 cheaper until the end of this month.
Seems like a good buy.
I am also in the market for a dusty.

Captain Chaos
27th August 2006, 12:58 AM
G'day Stirlo,
Good to see that you're getting a dusty for the lathe & bandsaw. I wouldn't be trying to collect the shavings as such. What you do need to collect is the dust - that's what causes the grief with our health. :(
I made my own " Big Gulp" collector out of MDF & turned the hose spigot out of pinus crapiata & glued & screwed it to the back of the collector. I'll take a couple of piccies & post tomorrow morning for you if you like. The collector wasn't very hard to make, even for me. If some other fool can do it, then so can I! ;)
Regards,
Barry.

tashammer
27th August 2006, 11:09 AM
stirlo, my recommendation for a young lad like yourself is to do an experiment and make your own dusty, really its not that hard. i made mine using an old washing machine motor. i just designed an impellor to place on the unit instead of the pulley, i cut the pieces out of sheet aluminium and pop rivetted them together. i made a cyclone unit to separate the majority of the dust before it enters the impellor and it gets, dare i say it, ALL the dust from the planer-thicknesser and the jointer. this unit would suck a golf ball through a garden hose. i might even marry it.

benchdog

How about some pictures of yer Thuper Thucker then? he asked with great interest.

Woodturnerjosh
27th August 2006, 02:16 PM
Hi all,
I would first like to say I am not out to burst any one's bubble, but don't be fooled into thinking a dust extractor is going to protect you from the nasty stuff. I am not going to get into a big discussion on filter size as this has already been done on the forum but for those of you don't know.... The human eye cannot see particles below 100 microns ( this is one hundredth of a mm..... I think) yet particles as small as .4 of a micron are considered carcinogenic. Which is why HEPA filters go down to .3. The bags that come standard on "dust extractors" are usually 30 microns which is why alot of people in the know call them "chip collectors"
What am I getting at, you may ask?
Always wear a mask!!!!! Even a good quality disposable P1 or P2 mask that carries the AS/NZS approval number is acceptable. Wear it whether you're turning, sanding or just sweeping the floor, as I said the stuff you can't see is what can ruin your life!
Cheers
BJ
p.s. If any of the above is false please chime in as I think we should know as much about this subject as possible, especially those just starting out.

ss_11000
27th August 2006, 02:30 PM
hi guys, thanx for the suggetions and tips.

making my own dusty is out of the question because mainly i wouldt trust myself to make a good enough one.

making my own big gulp seems the way to go.

i already know that a dc ( specially a cheapo) wont get most of the chips, but the dust is wat i want it for.

josh, i always wear a cheap little mask and glasses and will continue to even with the dusty. and will upgrade to a respirter at a later date.

barry, i would like to see your photos.

benchdog can we see photos of your home made one

toolin i'm afraid i wont be able to afford a two bag one so a bag will have to do unfortunately. thanx for the tip about the pipe though. is 1-1.5 m too much hose for a 4" out let? and is the 4" too small if you have a big gulp?

cheers

Toolin Around
27th August 2006, 04:31 PM
A few things to remember when setting up your DC:

It was said earlier that DCs let a lot of fine dust escape through their filter bags, it's especially so when they're starting up. If it's possible have it outside or at least as far away from your your working area as possible.

The bigger the diameter of pipe the more air flow it will carry. A 6" smooth wall pipe will carry more than double the air of a 4" flex hose.

Use smooth wall pipe because the turbulence created by flex hose will reduce air flow significantly. Use as little flex hose as possible. Short lengths to hook the pipe to the machine is all you should be using.

Air, like water wants to flow in a straight line. Minimize the number of bends needed and use 45 degree bends instead of 90s if possible. Flex hose doesn't lay in a straight line therefore it will reduce air flow even more.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
27th August 2006, 05:25 PM
I've the 2HP CT version, which works very nicely here, servicing some 18m of main duct with a variety of wyes and gates along the way. :) Toolin' has mentioned most of the things to consider when running duct, but there's two things that make a big improvement to it for very little extra expense.

Firstly, the wye that bolts on to the impeller? Remove it! Put a 1m(ish) straight run of PVC pipe there instead and then the wye or first bend. Personally, I'd toss that particular wye in the bit-bucket. The straight flow of air into the impeller will make a difference you'll notice straight away, guaranteed!

Secondly, start looking around for a 44gall drum with removable lid, and turn it into a seperator. (Plenty of howto's on these forums ;)) This'll stop larger shavings from the lathe blocking the grille over the impeller... so you don't have to stop every few minutes and clean it out. believe me, that's a pain in the @rse.

The Big Gulp's worthwhile for some situations but I wouldn't bother with it for the lathe. Lathes are mongrels to extract from and the Big Gulp's the wrong shape. One of the adapters I got in the CT "hose kit" (which IMHO is well worth the money if you're going to add other machines to the DC) is basically just a 5" square with the 4" port in the middle. That's the one I use on my lathe, to collect all fine sanding dust and the lighter shavings. I tape cardboard to the sides to make it into a "scoop" to suit whatever I'm turning. 'Cos diferent types of turnings need different shape scoops, I'm more than happy to just change the cardboard to suit... much cheaper than buying half-a-dozen different hoods. ;)

The kit also comes with a floorsweep... which is just a scoop that sits on the floor so you can sweep up the heavier stuff straight into the dusty. I don't know how I ever managed without it. :D

ss_11000
27th August 2006, 06:26 PM
ta much guys :)

Captain Chaos
27th August 2006, 09:45 PM
G'day Stirlo,
As promised, here's a couple of shots of the collector that I made for my dustie a while ago. The dimensions are ( roughly ) 260mm long x 160mm high ( front ) x 180mm deep & 150mm long x 130mm high at the rear. The hose spigot is 100mm O.D x 100mm long o/all.
I don't actually use it much as I've found that it is difficult to position effectively on the lathe, as Skew has stated. I mostly just use the hose mounted as close as possible to where I am turning / sanding at the time. Occasionally I fit a PVC water pipe elbow to "get around corners" so to speak. :confused:
I hope that this of some helpl to you. P.M me if you require any more info or help.
Rock steady young Dude. :)
Barry.

hughie
27th August 2006, 09:47 PM
Stirlo,
Skew has it about covered. All I can add is use as much of the pvc pipe as you can, avoid bends as much as possible. all of this will help to maintain velocity and velocity is important.
Also get as much cfm as you can afford. CFM and velocity are not the same and you need both to be as great as you can get.

So which ever one has the greatest of these thats the one to go for

ss_11000
27th August 2006, 10:44 PM
thanx hughie and Barry.

question? what do you put the collector on while turning? ( do you attatch it to the bed? somehow?)

Captain Chaos
28th August 2006, 12:18 AM
Stirlo,
Answer. ;) I've fabricated a bracket / bar assembly & fitted to the lathe stand at the back of the lathe. The bar is made of 30mm square tubing with a bracket at each end which is bolted to the lathe stand. The brackets are made so that the tube can be removed from either end . I've done this so that I can fit or remove the bracket(s) which hold the collector & ( now ) hose, plus a pair of work lights. These are locked in place with T bolts & nuts welded to the sliding tube brackets. The whole shooting match is ( was ) mounted about 150mm below the lathe bed & 300mm away from the back of the lathe.
I originally had it all mounted both higher & closer, but found that it sometimes interfered with the tool post cross slide etc. plus it restricted the amount of adjustment & positioning of the collector. The collector support bracket was also lengthened & made more flexible at the same time as I relocated the bar assembly. When I originally built the bar / bracket assembly it was very much a suck it & see effort.
I am unable to take any piccies of the setup as I've removed most of it from the lathe whilst relocating the lathe a couple of times & have subsequently misplaced the brackets etc. in the turmoil.:o I'll try to do a couple of drawings of the setup as I remember it if you let me know.
Regards,
Barry.
P.S. It was sometimes a real Pain In The Astrapadistra to reposition the brackets as space behind the lathe was very restricted. Live & learn.:rolleyes:

hughie
28th August 2006, 11:09 AM
question? what do you put the collector on while turning? ( do you attatch it to the bed? somehow?)
[/QUOTE]

Stirlo, thats easy :D just use a magnet! simple huh? :D I just screwed a strong magnet to the hose and bingo your in business. Later I fitted a piece of pipe to the hose end, about 250mm long and cut it on about 30-35' angle so I can slide it under the work when sanding. This helps to get more of the dust in the collector.

I am using a alinco magnet that has a tapped m6 hole already in it for ease of mounting. Dunno the cost, it was one I had lying around for some time. Its round about 50mm dia x 8mm thick
http://www.aussiemagnets.com.au/home.html

Skew ChiDAMN!!
28th August 2006, 04:57 PM
Stirlo, you got any old, dead hard-drives lying around? If you do, look at pulling one apart and yanking the magnets. They're usually good rare-earth jobs and strong enough to be really handy around the shed. ;)

Zed
28th August 2006, 05:19 PM
it equals a 'big gulp'. now that you mention it, it doesn't look all that hard to copy, cept for the bit that would fit onto the hose:)

use a kraft peanut butter jar. it works..

ss_11000
28th August 2006, 07:21 PM
Stirlo, you got any old, dead hard-drives lying around? If you do, look at pulling one apart and yanking the magnets. They're usually good rare-earth jobs and strong enough to be really handy around the shed. ;)

yeah, thanx for the tip, would never have thought of that. and thanx barry and hughie to.

ss_11000
28th August 2006, 07:22 PM
use a kraft peanut butter jar. it works..

interesting idea. thanx zed:)