PDA

View Full Version : What should i make with this...any ideas are welcome!!

brind0g
27th August 2006, 06:34 PM
Hi Everyone,

Just dug up some kauri that i braught back from NZ.. very odd piece, but very nice in every way...

Just dont know what to do with it.. i was thinking of maybe putting a clock/thermometer/berometer (please excuse spelling)...

But before i did anything, just wanted to get some ideas incase someone has a more convincing idea...

Ive edited one of the pictures showing the idea i was talking about

Cheers

EDIT** I only have a jet mini lathe, and not much else in power tools.. so i am fairly limited as to what i can do.. but i do have access to just about everything you could possibly use under the sun... :P

Andrew

wheelie
27th August 2006, 07:10 PM
How about a baseball bat !! LOL

....nah, i think the clock/thermometer/berometer idea sounds good

Skew ChiDAMN!!
27th August 2006, 07:38 PM
yeah, it's crying out to be a weather station. :)

How much swing on your lathe? Ya got room to turn small hollows and/or decorative lips where the clock/barometer would go? And mebbe use a router to recess in a thermometer to match?

Then again, maybe that'd be too much detail for the grain. Hmmm...

Wild Dingo
27th August 2006, 08:18 PM
Nope dont agree... not meant to be a weather station

Okay my first problem concerns that right hand end... the rot or whiteant eaten section... that would bother me tryin to cut that out would end up givin yer the heebeebloodygeebees!

No definantly NOT a weather station

BUT!!... it do have potential

I love the first pic... that peice of wood is screaming out to be made into a feature peice for the mantle... so lets look at that first pic shall we? Notice the curved over peice? looks sorta like a wave doesnt it?... what about you clean that whole back end up? hand sand it till you get the colors out?... then you can see the wave... so make yourself a little surfer dude on your little lathe and create a surfer dude surfin that wave! finish it off nice and lusturous and secure it to a stand peice and plonk it on the mantle... it would look the ducks knuts!

Otherwise... on the same theme... what about cleaning it up and making that arched over peice into a cave? carve a few dogs out and fit them inside at the edge looking out find a few other peices turn a few small trees or just find a few small branches that look like small trees shrubs or such and put them on it somewhere... outback style.... then again onto a board and finish it off slap it on the mantle and WHALLAH!!

That peice is what I like to call... Instant ART :cool:

Of course you can do what your thinking... but that piece where your thinking of putting the thermometer bothers me seems to be pretty buggared and rotted but I could be wrong just my perspective... so as you start to work out your depths and such Id be concerned that the thermometer would be too far inside the wood since you would have to dig so much out to get rid of the rot

Instant art mate Instant ART :cool: ... give it to her bloody highness for Chrissy youd be in the good books for a week if you do!! ;)

Note... give me a few and I will think of other things that you could do with it :p

John Saxton
27th August 2006, 08:27 PM
Andrew, like Skew say's it's crying out for a weather station given it's shape/profile.

If you can mangage to plane out some of that rot in the middle you'd have a chance of giving it some life ..and a weather station would sit well in the edited section you've marked out!

Cheers:)

lubbing5cherubs
27th August 2006, 09:34 PM
Could make a nice clock base with a pen flute and polish right up have a nice desk piece that holds your pen. Fill up the cracks with something to enhance then. . then you could make a pen to match it...it got potential that piece. I think that Would look real flash
bye

hughie
27th August 2006, 09:40 PM
Just dug up some kauri that i braught back from NZ.. very odd piece, but very nice in every way...

Just dont know what to do with it.. i was thinking of maybe putting a clock/thermometer/berometer (please excuse spelling)...

But before i did anything, just wanted to get some ideas incase someone has a more convincing idea...

Andrew, It looks like you have got your self a piece of what they call Green Kauri, well done! this not very common. Weather satation looks like the way to go. Do whatever you can to bring out the grain as it will look great, Danish oil or what ever works best

White ants, nah! I dont think so, theres no white ants in NZ and it looks like a bit of dry rot thats occurs in old growth Kauri.

brind0g
28th August 2006, 10:57 AM
I was thinking of maybe the weather station, but instaed of it hanging on the wall, i can sand the back of it, and get it finished really nice, and make some sort of a stand, so you can see both sides of the timber, thus not doing away with the nice looking cave/wave feature... maybe just make the base nice and flat, or even mount it on a nice peice of sumthing.... still storming up ideas... cheers for the ideas people!!

woodwise
28th August 2006, 09:40 PM
the first pic looked like a tawney owl , rather than turn it try carving ,soft wood is always good to start with ,,:) i just carved a leg of lamb [for a wedding present ]:confused: good luck with it .

brind0g
2nd September 2006, 03:35 PM
here are some more pics.. jsut started to french polish it this arvo... i decided to go with a weather station.. Im most liekly going to have the orientation of it as displayed in the full size pic of it...

brind0g
3rd September 2006, 04:04 PM
Here are some more almost finished pics.. just gotta decide how im going to make it stand.. i was thinking of maybe spinning a lil leg out of some of the same sort of timber..