PDA

View Full Version : are these bobbins ok

bikerboy
28th August 2006, 07:34 AM
I have had a go at making bobbins,and I would say that this has been spoke about before, but do you think these look to big???I have turned these from left over bits of wood,and I thought that this would be a good way of using these odds and sod up.
I have no idear what they should look like so if anyone has got this job down to a "T" I would very much like to know how to make them better,or look better,and this is my first attempt at tiny stuff and it's quite a bit different from making a rolling pin:rolleyes: ..
Hope you all had a good weekend,all the best Ian...

Wood Butcher
28th August 2006, 08:39 AM
Ian,
Send a pm to Reeves. He's turned quite a few things like that, might be able to help!

Personally I think that they are quite impressive! Well Done!

JackoH
28th August 2006, 09:15 AM
There are several specific types of bobbins developed in tha 19th century for different types of lace making and in different parts of the country.mainly in England and also in Europe. They all have very specific measurements, in relation to length and the thicknesses of the sections along the shaft.There is an excellent book "Turning Lace Bobbins" by David Springett which should be available from your local library, which will provide the answers to most of your questions. Try: www.davidspringett.fws1.com

Skew ChiDAMN!!
28th August 2006, 04:15 PM
Do you know any tatters? ie. People who'd actually use them?

Although there's a lot of different shapes'n'sizes, or perhaps because of it, the only person who can really answer your question is the person who'll use 'em. :) I've had people ask me for all sizes, from tiny, little, nigh impossible to turn splinters up to beasts that feel like baseball bats. Apparently it depends on the pattern they're making, whether it's a fine, close mesh or something like a fishing net.

Similarly, some people want a spindle they can load with a lot of thread while others aren't so fussy. They're a very personal thing, apparently. :rolleyes: David Springett's book is a good intro into the more traditional forms, BTW. I would've brought it up if Jackoh hadn't. ;)

Whle yours aren't exactly traditional and a couple of 'em look like they'd be awkward to use to me, you've made a decent start: good on ya for having a go!

A word of warning about getting into "miniature" turnings... you'll find yourself more'n'more reluctant to throw away offcuts from other jobs, "but this scrap'll make a beautiful bobbin." If you've been burning offcuts in a pot-belly to keep warm in the shed, expect a really, really cold shed next year. DAMHIKT. :o:D

ozwinner
28th August 2006, 05:39 PM
:D :D I love this forum. :D :D

Here we have the big nasty sounding BIKERBOY asking if his lace bobbins look ok? :D :D

Next he'll be asking if his bum looks big in the leathers.

Al :p :p :p :p :p :p

bikerboy
28th August 2006, 06:25 PM
:D :D I love this forum. :D :D

Here we have the big nasty sounding BIKERBOY asking if his lace bobbins look ok? :D :D

Next he'll be asking if his bum looks big in the leathers.

Al :p :p :p :p :p :p
well some one's gott'a give you ow boys a laff:rolleyes: bring it on, I can take it:D ......................
I will find the book,TLB, by David Springett,and see if I can find out if anyone in my village make this'er lace stuff,as I could do with a new pair'a pants:D for under me leathers:D that is.....see ya orl...

rsser
28th August 2006, 08:56 PM
All bums look big in leathers, cos they're designed to be worn bending over ;-}