PDA

View Full Version : First Turning

Simomatra
28th August 2006, 04:49 PM
Well I had a couple of practices wuth the tools and this is my first two items that I have made

Open for comments handle is in oak of some sort and the turning exercise is of Champhour Laurel

Skew ChiDAMN!!
28th August 2006, 06:25 PM
Good choices of timbers for your first efforts. Camphor Laurel is nice stuff to work with, isn't it?

Top job on the tool handle, too. Best get used to making 'em... unless you have a bottomless wallet. ;) Welcome to the Rotary Sanders' Club! :D

arose62
28th August 2006, 06:33 PM
GoodOnya!

I've found that there are various brass bits-n-bobs in the plumbing sections that work as ferrules. IMHO they look a bit nicer than copper tube.

Now that you can make handles, you can grab cheap old chisels at markets, and bring them back to life.

I remember how excited I was after my first turning - after making it round, I made one end a smaller diameter than the other, then realised I'd made a mallet:D

Look forward to more progress pics!

Cheers,
Andrew

ss_11000
28th August 2006, 07:31 PM
nice first work mate

penguin
28th August 2006, 09:15 PM
nice work we have all got to start somewhere

penguin

TTIT
29th August 2006, 12:05 AM
the turning exercise is of Champhour Laurel
That's not a turning exercise:eek: - use your imagination:rolleyes: - it's a wooden bell.;)

(Next 'turning exercise' - a handle for the bell of course! :D)

Skew ChiDAMN!!
29th August 2006, 12:20 AM
No, no, no. It's a mead goblet for teetotallers. :)

bikerboy
29th August 2006, 03:04 AM
No, no, no. It's a mead goblet for teetotallers. :)
No,no,no,no,nooooo, it's an egg warmer:D ....
very well done boy,my first attempt ended up flying through the shed window:eek: ....

arose62
29th August 2006, 03:55 AM
I thought he could make 3 of them and sell them to a magician for hiding a ball under.

Cheers,
Andrew

Wild Dingo
29th August 2006, 04:08 AM
A goblet? What for an upside down drinker?... I mean how do you hold the thing? wheres the stem? and what happens when you plonk it down for a refill? Or when you plonk it down so you can have a chinwag with the sheila with the whoppin big kahoonas sittin next to you?... ooooh I see!!! its a conversation starter for the geeks of the world... RIGHT!!!

there you are at the bar holdin your "goblet" tight and along she wanders slithers into the free barstool next to you you drink in her aroma "aaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh" and plonk the goblet down... suddenly shes standing up your wine all over her perfect front you leap up all gentlemanly and start wiping the plonk of the front of her perfect front (of course and naturally getting a free grope in while your at it... you are a bloke right?) all the time sayin "I swear it had a handle I swear it honest it did look let me buy you a drinkypoos and then we can get your dress sorted while you relax with a nice bottle of the finest chatew de studmuffinlegover I am soooo very very sorry" I gots it!! WELL DONE!!

ooh great first effort :cool: he mutters as he wonders how many lessons the git paid someone to get that good first pop :p

Cheers

Simomatra
29th August 2006, 07:50 AM
Thanks for the replies

Well the turning exercise has had the oblique side removed and is now a scoop. It will never get used though as the Campour is quite pungent.

Really lovely timber to turn. My prior s to this were pieces of pine to try and learn what the tools do. Arhh some fun there

I have joined the Ipswich wood club and look forward to learning from the other members

The wooden bell semms fine as an old sailor I will no doubt try making a mute bell at some time

Thanks again Sam

hughie
29th August 2006, 10:06 AM
Sam, welcome to the handle makers fraternity:D I thinks its a chalice of future promise ;) well done