PDA

View Full Version : filled with brass powder

Speanwoody
28th August 2006, 10:22 PM
I have seen some lovely bowls/pieces, where there has been a split, crack a natural hole in the side of the turned pieces and it has been filled what looks like brass powder and glue etc can somebody give an idea/link as to how this is done, many thanks

Auzzie turner
28th August 2006, 10:25 PM
http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=28933&highlight=brass+powder

TTIT
28th August 2006, 11:57 PM
I have seen some lovely bowls/pieces, where there has been a split, crack a natural hole in the side of the turned pieces and it has been filled what looks like brass powder and glue etc can somebody give an idea/link as to how this is done, many thanks

Colin - You guy's can buy the brass powder in the UK in 200g bottles on Ebay.:) I use it on just about everything these days - has become my signature - but then I have a whole kilo to use before it goes green!:eek: With practice, I have been able to fill the voids with out the blemishes you'll see in the link Joash posted. Looks like solid brass nowadays.:D

Speanwoody
29th August 2006, 09:14 PM
Thanks folks for the links and tips, I have good idea what to do now, now off to find some fillers etc, many thanks :o

Little Festo
29th August 2006, 09:29 PM
I have used a mixture of epoxy and gold or copper artists paint pigment (powder). It's just requires a bit of experimintation re the mix. It turns easily and polishes up really well.

Peter

hughie
30th August 2006, 09:55 AM
]I have used a mixture of epoxy and gold or copper artists paint pigment (powder). It's just requires a bit of experimintation re the mix. It turns easily and polishes up really well.

Peter, I looked at that in Bunnies and wondered about it. Then promptly talked myself out of it.....:D

Thanks for the tip, will revisit the idea.

Little Festo
30th August 2006, 07:51 PM
Peter, I looked at that in Bunnies and wondered about it. Then promptly talked myself out of it.....:D

Thanks for the tip, will revisit the idea.

Hughie,

I used megapoxy - clear (slightly straw colour) and the art colours- Gold pigment can be bought from art suppliers. I have also used CA glue with the pigment too - Crammed as much pigment as possible in the split/crack then CA thin glue. Epxoy is possibly a bit more economical as the pigment can be "mixed down" a bit. The pigment is not cheap.

Peter