PDA

View Full Version : September Pen Swap

Fireman sam
1st September 2006, 07:21 PM
Hi every one
you will be pleased to know that the timber is on its way.:)
the pen blanks are rosewood and forest oak the inlay that i have sanded down to 2mm thick for you is jaccaranda.:rolleyes:

the theme is an inlay of a cross or any type of inlay your imagination can come up with I did not want to make the theme to hard :eek:

so have some fun with this and see what your imagination can come up with :confused: :confused:

any one else that would like to join in pm me i still have heaps of timber and it only cost $1 to send each one i sweet talked the post office laddies

Andrew :D :D :D

lubbing5cherubs
1st September 2006, 08:39 PM
Cool thanks Andrew. Looking forward to them
Toni

chrisb691
1st September 2006, 09:13 PM
Thanks Andrew. Look forward to getting a result this month. :)

Skew ChiDAMN!!
1st September 2006, 09:30 PM
CROSSES!? After all these problems with simple diamonds and now you want CROSSES!?? :eek:

:D:D

The sad thing is, I already have an idea and, of course, I know it's going to blow up in my face. This time, I'm gonna have a few practice runs...

Touchwood
1st September 2006, 09:59 PM
the theme is an inlay of a cross

Note - that is cross not curse - there seemed to be a lot of cussin' going last time.

Time for the thinking hat again

JD:D

ss_11000
1st September 2006, 11:18 PM
got ideas. wondering if it will turn out. awaiting the mail eagerly.

cheers

Fireman sam
2nd September 2006, 09:07 PM
the theme is an inlay of any type or a cross :)
andrew

chrisb691
2nd September 2006, 09:38 PM
andrew

Hi Andrew,

Would you please give a little bit more of a description of the theme, please. My understanding of 'Inlay', is something that is set into the surface. I think you mean segmentation, but clarification would be nice. :confused:

Fireman sam
2nd September 2006, 09:50 PM
hi Chris
basicly cut the blank and add in a bit of the jaccaranda how ever you would like as many times as you like for an idear look at the post
www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=23368 (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=23368)
this site is pen laminating you can make it as hard or easy as you like:)
Andrew:) :) :)

Skew ChiDAMN!!
2nd September 2006, 09:55 PM
Dang! I was hoping people'd "forgotten" about Midges' pin...

Now I have to come up with an original idea. :D

ss_11000
2nd September 2006, 10:29 PM
Dang! I was hoping people'd "forgotten" about Midges' pin...

Now I have to come up with an original idea. :D

na, i remembered that strait away.

but i will try somethng else. i want to get a shape or picture on it.

Fireman sam
3rd September 2006, 10:03 AM
we have 16 people in the swap:rolleyes: :)
Andrew

Skew ChiDAMN!!
3rd September 2006, 03:26 PM
Waiting, waiting... just as well you're not "Postman Sam," Andrew, else a lot more than your ears'd be burning. ;)

ss_11000
5th September 2006, 04:03 PM
andrew

Can it be as simple as a strip down the middle?

Hi every one
the pen blanks are rosewood and forest oak the inlay that i have sanded down to 2mm thick for you is jaccaranda.:rolleyes:

and i got my wood yesterday too.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
5th September 2006, 04:20 PM
Just got 'ome a few mins ago and had a couple of bundles wating for me. The swap blanks and Rowies' bundle of blanks. (Definitely good value there! :eek: Take him up on his offer if you can, folks! ;) )

For this early in the week, it has been a good day. :)

Toasty
5th September 2006, 04:51 PM
I'll send you a PM with my address for the October swap, Andrew. I'll jump on then.

DJ’s Timber
5th September 2006, 05:17 PM
I'll send you a PM with my address for the October swap, Andrew. I'll jump on then.

G'day Toasty

You will need to direct the PM to me, as I will be sending out the timber for the October swap.

Andrew I also received timber today and it looks good

Fireman sam
5th September 2006, 05:48 PM
we welcome terry B and monty to the pen swap :)

yes stirlo you can put a stripe down the center :)

toasty we have not recieved your pm yet :confused:

i will pass every ones details on to djstimber in the next week :D

Andrew:)

Toasty
5th September 2006, 07:51 PM
Yup, got sidetracked at work :rolleyes: You both have PM

dai sensei
5th September 2006, 08:04 PM
Got mine today:D

Now refresh my memory, can we only use these timbers, or can we add to them? I only ask because I can see myself running out pretty quickly with some of the ideas I have in mind. Or is adding more timber cheating (like I did last time :rolleyes: :p )

Cheers

Tassie Boy
5th September 2006, 11:24 PM
waiting ..waiting..patiently of course!!

Skewpid
6th September 2006, 01:00 AM
Andrew!

Timber recieved mate! Thanks heaps, and Im sure your gonna see some pretty cool results.

BTW .. how long has this swap been going for? This will be my third, and have two pens sitting pretty and awaiting a destination.

Oh .. and can I throw my opinion right in the middle here in regards to using extra timber for the swap? NUH !

Ya got what ya given. Use that. Otherwise whats the point of each of the guys sending out the timber? The whole point is to use your imagination to create something from what you have been given.

Ok .. said my peace

Skewpid over and out . .. ish.:D

Skew ChiDAMN!!
6th September 2006, 01:19 AM
I've no objection to extra timbers being added, provided that all of the supplied timber is used first. After all, the idea is to make two pens and should someone become overly adventurous and end up with only enough material for one, well... (Just covering my own butt here. ;) )

You've been in it right from the beginning, Skewpid. :D Anyone with more than two pens already put aside has been really enthusiastic. :D:D

lubbing5cherubs
6th September 2006, 03:13 PM
Andrew my wood arrived today. Nice wood thanks
Toni

lubbing5cherubs
6th September 2006, 03:48 PM
HI Andrew, Can you tell me when I look at the wood the one that is the paler of the 2 with the flecks through it... is that the forest Oak? or is that the rosewood? Sorry learning here.
Toni

ss_11000
6th September 2006, 04:10 PM
toni
as i understand it: the one with the stripes/flecks is the forrest oak.

cheers

lubbing5cherubs
6th September 2006, 05:09 PM
thanks Stirlo. I appreciate it. IT is nice wood isn't it?
Toni

Tassie Boy
6th September 2006, 07:16 PM
Wood received today..Thanks! it looks good..
Should be a little bit simpler than last month..

Fireman sam
6th September 2006, 07:41 PM
Hi Everyone

Little note on forest oak it is a hard wood and will block up the drill bit when drilling so take little bits at a time and make sure the drill bit is clean froest oak is the one with the fleck through it
rosewood is a soft timber and is the red one
good to see every one has recieved their timber :) :)

Andrew:) :) :)

fxst
6th September 2006, 10:45 PM
yippe got mine today ....now to see if I have got rid of the explosives :D
I might dunk em in water first to wet the powder ...safer then I reckon.
with a name like fireman I reckon I gotta play safe
Pete

Touchwood
7th September 2006, 01:11 AM
good to see every one has recieved their timber

The westward pigeon has frozen in transit in the cold snap we are having ... I'm sure it will arive when it's poor little wings thaw out!!!:p

JD

Terry B
7th September 2006, 12:18 PM
Mine arrived today.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
7th September 2006, 04:25 PM
Now comes the fun part... adding a cross! It almost seems a waste cutting up the Forest Oak, I wonder if anyone will notice if I replace it with a bit of stained pine? :rolleyes: :D

fxst
7th September 2006, 06:20 PM
Now comes the fun part... adding a cross! It almost seems a waste cutting up the Forest Oak, I wonder if anyone will notice if I replace it with a bit of stained pine? :rolleyes: :D

you have succeeded Skew just thinking about cutting up the forest oak made you cross :D :D
Pete ( slinks off to hide in the shed)

dai sensei
7th September 2006, 09:40 PM

I was debating on whether I could take a slice off 2 sides of each blank to get some more shims, say 1mm, or slicing the jacaranda in half. Worry about getting too small and losing the lot. Might have to sacrafice one blank for shims and produce just one pen.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
7th September 2006, 10:08 PM
I was debating on whether I could take a slice off 2 sides of each blank to get some more shims, say 1mm, or slicing the jacaranda in half. Worry about getting too small and losing the lot. Might have to sacrafice one blank for shims and produce just one pen.

Yeah, that's exactly the situation I'm looking at right now. Took a couple of veneers off the rosewood, now I'm wondering how to salvage it for a second pen. I should've cut it to tube length first and sliced'n'diced only one half.

Isn't hindsight wonderful? :rolleyes:

Stuart
7th September 2006, 11:07 PM
Hi every one

Thanks Andrew, mine have arrived. Hope to have a better month this time - did learn a lot last month, including not biting off too much!!!!

One thing I did learn last month is not making my components too small and numerous! Simplicity (and luck!) is the order for me this month.

Yeah, that's exactly the situation I'm looking at right now. Took a couple of veneers off the rosewood, now I'm wondering how to salvage it for a second pen. I should've cut it to tube length first and sliced'n'diced only one half.

Isn't hindsight wonderful? :rolleyes:
Thanks for the hindsight :D

soundman
9th September 2006, 11:32 PM
So whats the story with this pen swap???

I might like to jump in.

cheers

Skew ChiDAMN!!
9th September 2006, 11:52 PM
Basically, each month someone sends out similar pairs of blanks to all participating members. I believe we've got donor volunteers up to November, :confused: but I don't think we've arranged for past then yet. So far, the donors have also nominated some sort of theme to keep it interesting.

So, we all make two pens using these blanks; one we can keep and the other is destined for charity. As yet we haven't discussed what charity nor the mechanism to convert the pens into donations. Instead, we've been enjoying ourselves turning pens. :)

If you wish to join, PM Fireman Sam as he's this months' blank donor.

lubbing5cherubs
9th September 2006, 11:57 PM
So whats the story with this pen swap???

I might like to jump in.

cheers

Come on and join in... it great fun. There some top blokes and gals.. you learn lots. More the merrier
Toni

chrisb691
10th September 2006, 05:15 PM
My blanks turned up this afternoon. This is quite strange, because the carrier pigeons around here, don't deliver on Sundays. Apparently, it must have got lost somewhere (I don't know where...it was lost remember). Seems like the penblank fairey took pity on me, and got them into my postbox.

Big sigh of relief!! :)

soundman
10th September 2006, 10:18 PM
count me in from the next round and count me in as a donor in the next slot.... I have something "different".

will send the appropriate PM's later.
cheers

Fireman sam
10th September 2006, 10:54 PM
soundman you stell have time to join in :) :rolleyes: ;)
Andrew

soundman
11th September 2006, 12:11 AM
I'll let is slide this month, but i'm in next trip.
cheers

Touchwood
11th September 2006, 09:22 PM
Well my wood finally arrived today - looks like some one you have already finished!! Maybe the pigeon needs extra feeding to make it across the desert with head winds :)

I would like to commend Fireman Sam on the lovely neat wrapping - do you do the christmas pressies in your household!!!:p

JD

Fireman sam
11th September 2006, 09:53 PM
no my wife did all the wraping :) :rolleyes:
Andrew

Fireman sam
13th September 2006, 05:37 PM
Hi All
I would like to welcome Auzzie Turnner to the pen swap
Joash the blanks are on the way
Andrew

Auzzie turner
13th September 2006, 06:05 PM
Hi All
I would like to welcome Auzzie Turnner to the pen swap
Joash the blanks are on the way
Andrew
Thanks, I'll see what I can make

lubbing5cherubs
17th September 2006, 07:01 PM
Not looking good here for one of my pens. When I drilled her I went bloody cock eye and I have cracked. she is in reglue up now. Time will tell whether this one makes the distance or not.:confused: I should have one left hopefully 2.
Toni:(

Skew ChiDAMN!!
17th September 2006, 07:08 PM
You're way ahead of me this time, Toni. :) Good luck with the reglue!

I've only just finished my glue-up, now I'm dreading the drilling... if the bit wanders off-centre by even a millimetre my pens are going to look like so much "junk." (Not what I was gonna say, but discretion and all that. ;) ) After all these pens, you'd think I'd have learned better... but do I ever do anything the way I know it should be done? :rolleyes:

dai sensei
17th September 2006, 07:12 PM
Bad luck Toni, hope the glue up works Ok.

I was going to try a butterfly (see Purpleheart's pool cue thread), but even with cutting all the off-cuts into 1mm thick and the thin piece down the middle, I only had enough for very small half butterflies:o . I got 2 pens, but nothing special:(

Fireman sam
17th September 2006, 07:32 PM
sorry to here your bad luck hope it work out toni :) :rolleyes:
Andrew

Terry B
17th September 2006, 10:17 PM
I have finished mine. One OK, the other ordinary. I hope yours work out Toni.

lubbing5cherubs
18th September 2006, 08:07 PM
Nup, she never made the distance. The second pen gave up the fight to live this morning..LOL.. i got one out of 2. The other one was beyond resusitation.
bye Toni

Fireman sam
18th September 2006, 08:24 PM
sorry to here that toni :( :(
Andrew

ss_11000
18th September 2006, 09:26 PM
well, your all ahead of me, i havent started :eek:

had lots to do.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
18th September 2006, 09:40 PM
So I glued mine up yesterday... and this arvo took a look at what kits'n'pieces I have in stock before I actually started turning.

Hmmm... a couple of cigar kits... but I've cut'n'glued for 7mm. Still, nice to know I have 'em to hand. Hmmm... [rummage, rummage] Ah, yes, here's the 7mm stock! Lessee... I've heaps of centre-bands for slimlines (funny, that!) a few odd clips and nibs, and one helluva lot of refills. Stocks are getting low, which I already knew, but I can manage to finish this months' swap before re-ordering.

Hang on... can I?

Mechanisms? [rummage, rummage, rummage] Errmmm... mechanisms? [another frantic rummage] Nup, no mechanisms! :eek: D'Oh! And the treasurer has not only forbidden any more transactions for this month, she also found the paper trail from the last... "secret" transaction, so even next month's budget is looking grim. :mad:

What I'd really like to know is: where's the $$$ from the last lot? I demand an independant audit! Someone's diddling the books! (Besides me, that is. :o )

Froggie? Mate, ol' pal, bosom buddy mine, how's my line of credit? :confused::rolleyes:;):D:D:D:p

lubbing5cherubs
18th September 2006, 09:50 PM
I got some spare 7mm kits if you do need some Skew? Pm me if you want
Toni

lubbing5cherubs
18th September 2006, 09:53 PM
well, your all ahead of me, i havent started :eek:

had lots to do.

Hey stirlo, funny quote that one. I was alway to busy to do things when I was your age. Now I look back and I think what was I so busy doing..LOL Not saying your not but I do remember I was so busy always. It was not until I had the twins that it dorned on me what was so busy doing..Oh well
bye
Toni

ss_11000
18th September 2006, 10:01 PM
Hey stirlo, funny quote that one. I was alway to busy to do things when I was your age. Now I look back and I think what was I so busy doing..LOL Not saying your not but I do remember I was so busy always. It was not until I had the twins that it dorned on me what was so busy doing..Oh well
bye
Toni

i no wat u mean. i often look back at my week and go, what was i doing that stopped me from doing things etc.

then i started work and have been flat out cos of sports etc on top of work.

cheers

lubbing5cherubs
18th September 2006, 10:21 PM
as long as your having fun. and the job will help aide with your cheapest hobby you have found
Toni

ss_11000
19th September 2006, 07:37 PM
as long as your having fun. and the job will help aide with your cheapest hobby you have found
Toni
:eek: nice one

Auzzie turner
19th September 2006, 08:53 PM
started mine today, they are gluing right now. The way I am doing mine, I have to do it in stages, because of the gluing. It will take me to the end of the month to do mine. I hope they work out,

Regards........Joash

Skewpid
21st September 2006, 08:23 PM
Bugger .. tis the 21st.

Must remove digit from posterior :eek: and get a bleedin move on!

Havnt even started yet!

Rich.

dazzler
25th September 2006, 06:39 PM
Gunna turn mine tonight......cross fingers:rolleyes:

Toasty
25th September 2006, 08:05 PM
cross fingers:rolleyes:
No NO! You have it ass about, the pen needs the cross! Don't go putting your fingies through the bandsaw!!!

Skew ChiDAMN!!
25th September 2006, 08:53 PM
One finished, one turned and waiting on something to put it together with.

Next month I think I'll go for simple; if it takes more than two cuts to make, I'm over it! :D

Well... for a few months, anyway. ;)

ss_11000
25th September 2006, 10:22 PM
than god the holidays are coming soon. i might not get a chance before hand :(

Stuart
25th September 2006, 10:26 PM
Finally started the glue-up. Time is a scarce commodity. :(