PDA

View Full Version : trend air visor

uktull
4th September 2006, 04:29 AM
does anyone know where i can get alternate filters for my trend air visor as the trend replacements are very expensive

Markw
4th September 2006, 02:18 PM
To paraphrase another member "$10 head for a $10 helmet".

uktull are you really going to go cheap on a device designed to prevent injury to your lungs :confused:

You can go cheap on a pair of gloves cause you always have another hand or just choose not to use them. You can't choose to not use your lungs. You only get one genuine set and retro fitting really sux.

Bob Willson
4th September 2006, 04:19 PM
I doubt very much that Trend filters are the epitome of quality. It is a mistake to think that because something is expensive it is therfore better that a cheaper item. You may be right, I may be crazy but I too would check out alternative filters. A 2 micron filter will filter to 2 microns regardless of whether you paid $2 or $20 for it.

Markw
5th September 2006, 06:17 PM
I doubt very much that Trend filters are the epitome of quality. It is a mistake to think that because something is expensive it is therfore better that a cheaper item.

Bob
The reasoning behind my comments has nothing to do with price but all to do with compatability and quality of fit.

You walk into the local safety shop, and some might think this is Bunnings and the sales staff say "use this one, its only half the price". Is this person qualified to make this statement remembering your future health is possibly at risk. What if that filter fitted but had a small gap which allowed asbestos fibres or some other dust through?

In this type of industry (home woodworking) people become very relaxed with their breathing gear. A prime example is the early Triton respirator which seemed to have all sorts of problems, ie end caps coming loose, incorrect air flows, breathing tubes too stiff and moving the face shield. Many of the members of this forum persevered and used work arounds or home made mods. That is unacceptable. They should have sent them back and demanded their money back. Thankfully now most of those issues were eventually rectified.
Rule 1 - Breathing gear must meet all relevant Aus Standards (OH&S Regulation 2000) and must be fit for purpose (Trade Practices Regulation).

Rule 2 - Alway follow manufacturers advice and use only genuine parts and filters. If this doesn't work then get another respirator that will do the job - its only money and it will save you in the end.

Whilst I realise that uktull is now up for some dollars, that has to be the way it is. What he could try is contacting Trend and seeing if a pre-filter is available for his model which will dramatically reduce the service interval for the main filter. He'll still have to buy a new main filter but it will last 5 to 10 times longer by changing only the pre-filter.