PDA

View Full Version : Magnolia Hollow Form w/ Oak Burl Collar

Gil Jones
4th September 2006, 02:46 PM
This form is 5" wide, and was turned and finished while still fairly green. The Oak burl collar has been given a slight touch of brownish-red dye to enhance its color.

TTIT
4th September 2006, 03:40 PM
Geez Gil:eek: It's gettin' desperate when you gotta turn flower bushes for wood!!:eek:. Mind you, must be bloody big flowers!!!;) :)

Nice form Gil - is that turquoise going to be your signature?:D

Skew ChiDAMN!!
4th September 2006, 04:07 PM
It can come sit on my shelf when you get bored with looking at it. ;)

ss_11000
4th September 2006, 04:23 PM
that looks awesome...

Toymaker Len
5th September 2006, 01:38 PM
Too right about the big flowers... about as big as a plate, and the tree grows about as big as a big morton bay fig. Beautiful work and beautiful wood.

Tassie Boy
5th September 2006, 06:52 PM
Very nice Gil.

hmmm.. we have a magnolia tree in the yard...(mabye not for long:D :rolleyes: )

hughie
6th September 2006, 01:48 AM
to enhance..............

Gil, Well you certaintly have enhanced the timber with the design and finish, nice one!
I have as yet to have a go at putting a collar on a enclosed vessel, your efforts sure are encouraging, keep 'em coming.

Hmmm I wonder where I could pick up some powdered turquoise in my neck of the woods?

Gil Jones
6th September 2006, 04:03 AM
Thanks to you all for the kind comments, I am beginning to like turning these hollow forms with collars.
TTIT, this ‘flower bush’ was about 40 feet hi and about 14" diameter trunk. I found the tree cut up, and sitting on the roadside in a town near us (waiting to be hauled off to the dump). This piece is turned from a branch. As for the turquoise, I just like how it looks with wood, and I am not experienced enough the worry about signatures (yet).
Hughie, I have no idea if Turquoise can be found in Australia. I wonder if you might get a similar look using powdered copper sulfate crystals (?).

Wild Dingo
6th September 2006, 04:13 AM
Beautiful Gil :cool:

That turquoise is stunning isnt it? sorta brings a new and beautiful dimension to the peice... not sure if it would work with all timbers as a signature but for this one its amazing

hughie
6th September 2006, 10:18 AM
[Hughie, I have no idea if Turquoise can be found in Australia. I wonder if you might get a similar look using powdered copper sulfate crystals (?).
[/QUOTE]

Gil No worries I was just thinking out loud, sulphate...hmmmm interesting thought

Skew ChiDAMN!!
6th September 2006, 12:35 PM
You can generally buy authentic turquoise through reputable gemology/lapidary dealers but be prepared to pay ridiculous prices. There's "fake" turquoise available more cheaply, usually dyed howlite or magnesite, and there's also true synthetics which are much cheaper.

They've different chemical properties, etc. but if all you're interested in is the colour and intend to crush 'em up, well...

OGYT
6th September 2006, 01:23 PM
Gil, that's absolutely bee-ooo-tiful! I like turning HFs with collars, too. Just have trouble with the collars. :rolleyes:

Hughie, find out from your postal folks what kind of duty there is on 1/2 pound of freshly mined turquoise. :eek:
I can get it for about $5USD, through a guy in Arizona that mines it. None of it's polished, some other little chunks of stuff in with it, but I just crush it all, and it does the trick.

hughie
7th September 2006, 02:07 AM
Hughie, find out from your postal folks what kind of duty there is on 1/2 pound of freshly mined turquoise. :eek:
I can get it for about $5USD, through a guy in Arizona that mines it. None of it's polished, some other little chunks of stuff in with it, but I just crush it all, and it does the trick.
[/QUOTE]

No worries Al, info on its way. What do you use to crush the stuff up with?
hughie

OGYT
7th September 2006, 01:52 PM
These pics show a rig a friend made for me to crush turquoise with. I was using the hammer, and a piece of railroad track inside a box, lined with a plastic bag. This is better. You just dump in the rocks and beat the heck out of it. The sides keep it in when you give it the knocks with the hammer. The peg is a shortened railroad spike.
Haven't got time to turn a longer handle. :D

Oops! Can't get the photo in.:confused: It's already in this thread: Scroll down to post #13 :eek: http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=35736

hughie
7th September 2006, 02:02 PM
[quote=OGYT;368984]These pics show a rig a friend made for me to crush turquoise with. I was using the hammer, and a piece of railroad track inside a box, lined with a plastic bag. This is better. You just dump in the rocks and beat the heck out of it. The sides keep it in when you give it the knocks with the hammer. The peg is a shortened railroad spike.
Haven't got time to turn a longer handle. :D

Al, Thanks for that, some how I missed that post ??:confused: :confused: :confused:

tashammer
8th September 2006, 02:23 AM
Very nice Gil.

hmmm.. we have a magnolia tree in the yard...(mabye not for long:D :rolleyes: )

how far up the street do you live then ?