PDA

View Full Version : detail gouge&bedan

hughie
6th September 2006, 01:35 AM
The recent thread by Ern about his difficulty finishing off a goblet and Skews comments about his Bedan ex-screw diver, got me thinking. As I had just recently bought a unhandled 1/4" detail gouge from Mcjings.

So this is what I came up with. The detail gouge has about 50% none gouge area, which is useless to me as a gouge. But I could grind a Bedan on the other end if I had the right sort of handle. I would then have a two in one tool.

The detail gouge is 9" [230mm] long with only 4"[100mm] of gouge area. The handle is 10.5" [270mm] with a HT bolt machined own and pressed in to the end of the 22mm aluminium hollow bar that has been machined out to 15mm to take the modified bolt and the locking screw is m6. I have as yet to finish off the handle with some sort of foam cover for comfort, probably push bike handle stuff from Kmart.

Now this could be done with any similar unhandled gouge, well, within reason. Two tools for the price of one and making good use of the extra HSS tang area.

cedar n silky
6th September 2006, 08:53 AM
That looks very nice Hughie!:) I wonder what sort of handle SKEW has on his modified screw driver!!:D
Who are Mcjings?? :rolleyes:

TTIT
6th September 2006, 09:09 AM
Good idea Hughie.:D Is the shaft of the gouge actually 1/4" diameter? I've never been able to follow how they measure gouges :confused:.When you find something to cover the handle with, let us know eh! I've got a couple here that need the same treatment.

DJ’s Timber
6th September 2006, 09:45 AM
G'day Hughie

I had a 30mm steel bar which I used as a handle that was cold to hold and I decided to chuck it in the the lathe and knurl it. The difference it made was astonishing. It was no longer cold and also gave me a positive grip as well

hughie
6th September 2006, 10:08 AM
Who are Mcjings?? :rolleyes:

Cedar, McJings are a tool store here in Sydney but have some branches around the country. They have a web site but it seems to be down at the moment, they are good value.Theres plenty of reference on this forum, for me they are good value. I picked up a tungsten carbide burr cutter for $8 versus $43 at Bunnies....no contest...... :D

had a 30mm steel bar which I used as a handle that was cold to hold and I decided to chuck it in the the lathe and knurl it. The difference it made was astonishing

dj, I was going to knurl the handle but thought the foam would be more comfortable. The old lathe that I borrow is well flogged, dead gear box stuffed chuck, and tail stock is about 1mm low of centre......:( ... a boat anchor at best.:D

Is the shaft of the gouge actually 1/4" diameter? I've never been able to follow how they measure gouges :confused:.When you find something to cover the handle with, let us know eh! I've got a couple here that need the same treatment.

Vern, The shaft is 6.5mm, on the bigger gouges it seems some measure the actual dia of the id of the gouge...bit like BSP sizes....i guess
Handle: at 22mmm its a bit small so rubber is the way to go. When I get it sussed will post the result with pics

Skew ChiDAMN!!
6th September 2006, 12:18 PM
That looks very nice Hughie!:) I wonder what sort of handle SKEW has on his modified screw driver!!:D

Wood. What else? :D I much prefer wooden handles, although I've made a few metal ones.

Hughie, I reckon that's a great idea for "portable" tools. When I do demo work it annoys the heck out of me that I have to lug around half-a-dozen tools with "generic" profiles and always seem to need one I didn't think to take. (There's nothing like deciding you won't need a particular tool to guarantee that you will! :rolleyes: )

Replacing a couple with dual-purpose ones would mean more room in my kit for the ones I usually leave behind. Now I wonder how to make something like that with a wooden handle instead? Hmmm...

Hickory
6th September 2006, 12:42 PM
Hugie, How about some of that "Plastic Dip" stuff they use to dip pliers handles in and allow to dry leaving a rubberized insulative grip.

For instance:http://www.kelvin.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/510056.jpg
http://http://www.kelvin.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=K&Product_Code=510056

I don't know in your special part of the world but here we can get it at most of the tool stores and Home Improvement box stores

hughie
6th September 2006, 01:11 PM
Replacing a couple with dual-purpose ones would mean more room in my kit for the ones I usually leave behind. Now I wonder how to make something like that with a wooden handle instead? Hmmm...
[/QUOTE]

Skew, The idea has occurred to me as well. Why not enclose the ali tube with a wooden sleeve araldite it on. Or make your usual handle up and insert a steel sleeve bored to what ever size you require. I like bigger handles ie around 30-35mm [1-1/4'' - 1-5/16''] with this the issues of dia will not be a big deal. My holding length on the handle is only 50mm long, so the rest can be clearance. Probably need about 100-125mm inserted and glued into the wood to give a good support. Real rough finish to the insert and araldite it would never move. 8 handles 16 tools etc

Hugie, How about some of that "Plastic Dip" stuff they use to dip pliers handles in and allow to dry leaving a rubberized insulative grip.

Hickory,

Your bloods worth bottling! :D I have used it several years ago and clean forgot all about it. ta muchly......:D :) :D :)

TTIT
6th September 2006, 02:09 PM
Hickory, Your bloods worth bottling! :D I have used it several years ago and clean forgot all about it. ta muchly......:D :) :D :)

Where do we get the equivalent here Hughie and what's it called?:confused: I've been in the bush too long and haven't seen fancy inventions like that before!!!:o;)

Cliff Rogers
6th September 2006, 02:10 PM
Hang on you lot, ya lost me. :confused:
I though a bedan was square, not round. :cool:

TTIT
6th September 2006, 02:44 PM

Don't go confusin' me any more than I already am Cliff!!!:eek: The tool I shaped up like Skew's screwdriver I've always called a 'toothpick cutter'.:o Just when I'm gettin' comfortable with calling it a 'bedan', you're telling me it's not!!!:rolleyes::(:D

hughie
6th September 2006, 02:57 PM
Where do we get the equivalent here Hughie and what's it called?:confused: I've been in the bush too long and haven't seen fancy inventions like that before!!!:o;)

Vern it used to be available via Bunnies but they took it off the shelf due OHS reasons etc. Sooooooo I gotta look around for another source.

By the way that Gidgee is a treat turn, B........y magic stuff...I 'll take a ton of it :D :D
you still need some steel blanks?

I though a bedan was square, not round

Cliff, never let the facts get in the way...:D Skewie started the round Bedan idea, yah just gotta keep up wid progress.....

Cliff Rogers
6th September 2006, 03:15 PM
Don't go confusin' me any more than I already am Cliff!!!:eek: The tool I shaped up like Skew's screwdriver I've always called a 'toothpick cutter'.:o Just when I'm gettin' comfortable with calling it a 'bedan', you're telling me it's not!!!:rolleyes::(:D

The one I call a bedan is 2nd from the right.
That is the side view of it.
http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=26709&d=1153141518

RETIRED
6th September 2006, 03:45 PM
I go with Cliff.

TTIT
6th September 2006, 04:47 PM
The one I call a bedan is 2nd from the right.
That is the side view of it.

Ok - my 'thing' just became a 'toothpick cutter' again.;) Is the tip shaped round or straight across on that weapon??:eek:

By the way that Gidgee is a treat turn, B........y magic stuff...I 'll take a ton of it :D :D
you still need some steel blanks?
1 ton of Gidgee = about a shoebox full!!! Never has my ute been so overloaded by so little wood as the day I cut that stuff! It is beautiful wood isn't it.:) PM on the way.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
6th September 2006, 06:59 PM

That's why I call it a round bedan and not just a bedan. :D

I classify it as a bedan because it's used in the same way, similar to a skew chisel. It's definitely not a scraper, no scraper should be used in bevel-rubbing mode! :eek: Could be called a round skew, I guess, but that'd confuse just as many people.

rsser
6th September 2006, 07:05 PM
Yeah, just names, but IMHO a bedan is a square section scraper but with the left and right (vertical sides) relieved for clearance or 'bevelled'.

But more to the point, what's the advantage Hughie?

Hey TTIT, re your overload of gidgee, maybe we can do a swap of something ;-}

Skew ChiDAMN!!
6th September 2006, 07:22 PM
Yeah, just names, but IMHO a bedan is a square section scraper but with the left and right (vertical sides) relieved for clearance or 'bevelled'.

Exactly. Instead of straight bevels ground in, mine has "round" bevels. [shrug]

I was also taught a bedan is used in cutting mode, like a parting tool and not like scraper, for all the similarity in form. This is used in the same manner as a normal bedan but as it has a round cut instead of square, it's more suitable for some curved forms.

And round stock is also a helluve lot easier to roll. ;)

rsser
6th September 2006, 07:33 PM
No comment about what's easy to roll ;-}

Pretty much only use my bedan for deep end-grain hollowing of boxes or pencil jars. Cos it's square section it's less susceptible to chatter, but ditto it needs a bit more downward force to stop sliding away from the cutting point.

Cliff Rogers
6th September 2006, 11:51 PM
Is the tip shaped round or straight across on that weapon??.....

It is square all round (?) :confused:
It is square on all sides, :rolleyes: & is ground straight across. :)
The bevel angle is such that it gives a cutting edge with an angle similar to a skew.
I use it like a straight across, one sided skew.

A better description would be a one sided 10mm beading tool.
It is very good for cutting beads on spindles.

I showed it to a bloke in a ball cutting race at a turn out & he mastered it in about 10 seconds.

hughie
7th September 2006, 01:37 AM

But more to the point, what's the advantage Hughie?

Ern,
I have about 50% of the HSS gouge I bought that is plain shafting. Rather than bury it in a handle, I thought it would be good to and make se of the plain end. Skews round Bedan seemed an obvious choice. Sadly I have no suggestion to get you out of your dilemma, other than if its harmonics a rev change may fix it.

Probably does not relate to your problem but it did set me thinking and the post was the result. Just my train of thought on the day :D

Hmmm, double ended tool, better use of the HSS, and bit more flexiblity on storage etc....and save a bit $$ on the side

rsser
7th September 2006, 03:04 PM
if its harmonics a rev change may fix it.

Yep, as posted, upping the revs helped. I think the added heft of the larger Oland-style tool helped too.