PDA

View Full Version : thanks for the tips you guys

bikerboy
6th September 2006, 01:52 AM
the tips about that spalted wood that I got given,well I managed to get it stable enough to turn, and got to grips with it, what ya orl think'a this?there is a before and after,took bloody ages to do, just need to get a deeper shine onto it...

Doughboy
6th September 2006, 02:11 AM
Looking good.....

Pete

TTIT
6th September 2006, 09:16 AM
Looks like it was worth the effort Bikerboy.:) Good job!:D

hughie
6th September 2006, 10:12 AM
Bikerboy, Nice bit of spalting, my efforts have been a mix of success and failure.:( :D

I think your right a bit more shine would bring out the spalting, other wise nice effort

Skew ChiDAMN!!
6th September 2006, 12:23 PM
That's the best thing about spalted wood. When it works, it's usually well worth the effort. :)

Looks like you got it to a nice thickness, too!

OGYT
6th September 2006, 01:38 PM
Sure is some nice wood. Was it punky soft when you got it? :confused:
Nice shape to the bowl, too. Looks like it might be 10-12 inches in dia.
I like 'em a bit shinier, too, but this looks good.
Good job I think.

bikerboy
7th September 2006, 03:47 AM
Sure is some nice wood. Was it punky soft when you got it? :confused:
Nice shape to the bowl, too. Looks like it might be 10-12 inches in dia.
I like 'em a bit shinier, too, but this looks good.
Good job I think.
Well it is 8 inches in dia, and 2.5inches deep, I done as you all said, I rough turned it first,with a spigot on the outside, and inside so I was able to fix it onto my chuck,then I brushed on danish & tung oil,with white spirits,but I did do a test on a another piece of wood first,it was ok taking cuts from along the grain, you know on the outside of the wood, it was grain from the inside that was a bugga,it was just breaking up, and not getting a good clean cut.
Anyway, after brushing a good bit of the above stuff, I but the bowl into a plastic pot, and covered it in good dry shavings, and left it for about a week, could'nt wait no longer, so got stuck into it, the under side of the bowl is quite nice, but ya can not see it, I'll get a photo up so you can see what it's like.
So, what is the trick to get a good deep shine then???