PDA

View Full Version : What Type of Bandsaw

Nuggett
3rd April 2002, 01:11 AM
Need a decent Bandsaw for Wk'shop for resawing & what ever else they were designed to do!
I been told that a 1-2 hp, 12- 18inch & that it can take a 25mm blade. I have limted space but will be moving house to set up large shed, so space not an issue.
The models I've seen are Jet Delta Kitty & Carbitec new ones for 2002.
So Please advise my on what they can do & what other thoughts & comments would be most welcome.My interests is in cabinet making & Furniture
Thanks

Shane Watson
3rd April 2002, 08:15 AM
How much is your budget?
Also it seems the general word on blade size for resawing isn't the bigger the better. I run a scheppach bandsaw at the moment & it does everything I need, didn't even have to adjust anything out of the box either, even the blade ran true to the fence. Very large cast table that tilts both ways. Etc etc....

Ivor
3rd April 2002, 09:29 AM
I did a bit of research a few years back and ended up buying a 14" JET, it cost about $1K. Nowdays the exchange rate probably has bumped the price up. I wanted it mainly for resawing but also hacking up small logs etc. I only do woodworking on weekends so I couldn't spend a lot of money.

The normal throat clearance on the JET wasn't all that good so a bought a raiser kit and now I have a good 12" clearance for taking fairly thick wood. I think the motor is 1 horse and it seems to cope with the nasty things I do to it.

But, I think if I had my time again I would have saved up to get a bigger bandsaw.

Ivor

John Saxton
3rd April 2002, 09:24 PM
Hi Nuggett,I have the 18" Jet model and it does what I want of it I have had a 1" blade on it and it will take a 1:1/2 inch blade if wider blade is required cost around $1900 18months ago.What I liked about the Jet was that though made under an American badge the quality was there with the finish and performance.

Can I make a suggestion that if and when you talk to dealers have them demonstrate any models you're interested in whereby you can get a "feel" for the machine?

Hitachi have a bandsaw out that takes something like a 50mm blade but runs to some serious bucks as it is set up primarily for resawing.

One option is to check out the machinery sellers in your area or newspaper or even Auctions.

Cheers http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
Johnno

Iain
4th April 2002, 08:05 AM
HItachi runs closer to about a 200mm blade and the last one I saw was in the region of $8k.

Nuggett
8th April 2002, 09:18 PM
Hi
Thanks so much for your replys.I have done a fair bit of leg work,to date the best I've seen is the ones in the new Carba-Tec Cat. they call them there Industral Range model Number SBW-4300 17inch. The things that I liked were two windows one to see how much tension the blade is set at and one on the front for viewing the top wheel,+ Roller Bearing Guides on the blade and one lever lowers the top wheel for blade changing and a geared work table not bad I think? Has anyone else seen or bought one of these?
John the Jet model you have is also very good but now they're over $2300 !! so this is out of my buget. Is your Jet made in TW or USA? and the wheels what are they made of ? as theseone I looked at are made of Aluminium,does it make any difference what they are made from?
Doorstop, what's the problems you had with Elektra Beckum? As they are made by Metabo and I thought that they were supposed to be very good (Saleman quote)?

Iain
8th April 2002, 09:30 PM
I'm pretty sure the Metabo saw is not made by Metabo, I've seen it advertised in OS WW mags under numerous names. We are talking about the round contraption aren't we?

------------------
: http://community.webshots.com/user/iain49

John Saxton
9th April 2002, 06:14 PM
Hi Nuggett,Mine the Jet is made in Taiwan probably under an American license.
Solid cast heavy wheels definately not aluminium may well be cast iron.

Besides Carba-tec in Brisbane check out Gregory machinery who are also good to deal with and are at 119 Jane St,West End,Brisbane Ph 3844 4433 www.gregmach.com (http://www.gregmach.com)

Also check out Herless Machinery Corp (Timber Tec) at 6 Hayward Ave,Cashmere Qld ph 3882 3569 fax 3882 3529 who have a 16" bandsaw advertised for $990 no other details.

------------------
Johnno

Hague
9th April 2002, 07:50 PM
Buy the SBW-4300 bandsaw if you have the money. Last time I checked they were around $1700 and are great value for money. They are a very new bandsaw (manufacturer only started full production in the past six months) and resulting from this have manufactured to a very high standard (for the price). The Hitachi in fact takes a 75mm wide blade with approximately a 1.25tpi blade, but is for resaw only and about $4500. Elektra Beckum had some problems with manufacturing when they started selling the BAS-316 but have since solved the quality control problem. There is a larger version of this under different brands, the BAS-350, thats probably the best bandsaw to get under $1000.00. Jet are always a good buy, but the Metabo is probably a bit light if you are looking at something like the SBW-4300. Hope this helps.

Zsteve
23rd April 2002, 02:33 PM
G'day Nugget. I am in the market for a 'decent bandsaw my self and I have had a look at a couple of the larger Bandaws sold by Carbatec (16, 18 inch) models. I liked the look of them until i saw the tilting mechamism.

I have a mechanical engineering background and wasn't too impressed at all by the construction of the tilting mechanism, on the 16 it was fabricated sheet steel and welded on crooked, and the 18 had a rather rough cast aluminium machanism. Both tilting mechanisms did not look good and it is an important part of the bandsaw. I would be interested to hear from anyone who has had some experience in using them - for resawing or other uses.

Regards
Stephen.

Yip
29th April 2002, 07:43 PM
SBW-4300 $1550

Bushrat
4th May 2002, 02:29 AM
Hi Nugget,
I have the 18" Jet band saw, it is excellent value and very easy to set up.I got it from Len Lawler of Gregory Machinery in Brisbane. When buying/sharpening blades etc for it or any other, I have found Henry Bros in Windsor (Sydney) are the best, both price and advice wise. ie:- they dont rip you off. I am resawing red cedar, spur&rose mahagony, black wallnut etc. up to 25cm wide with the 1.25"W with 1" tpi is all I need. I have 4 blades which handle everything I throw at it.
Hope it helps
Bushie

Bushrat
4th May 2002, 02:37 AM
Johnno,
The price you quoted for a wide blade, sounds like you are being played with, I also have the 18" Jet, I recently purchased 3 blades(1/4/, 1/2, & 1.25 for it at a total cost of $130, I suggest you contact Henry Bros Saws. (02)96275088. they are the best I have found, and no, I do not work for them.
Regards
Bushie

Iain
4th May 2002, 09:00 AM
$130 sounds a bit excessive!! I buy from two sources and the prices start at $14 for a 3/8" 4tpi to $21 for a 1".
Mine is an old 14" saw that the plates fell off so I don't know who made it. Still accurate though.
I have heard some good reports on the Timber Wolf silicon steel blades from the US but as yet I have not been able to locate them in Aus.

------------------
: http://community.webshots.com/user/iain49

Tim the Timber Turner
4th May 2002, 09:49 PM
One of the best things I ever learnt is how to silver solder bandsaw blade.

A 250ft roll of 1/2' 3tpi costs $171 and yeilds 24 blades for my 18" bandsaw at a cost of just over $7.00 each.
At this price I don't sharpen. I use & chuck.

This is the only blade I use and if I want to resaw I use a new blade and a very careful setup of the saw. With a good fence it will cut to 3mm or less with a variation of less than half a mm. I have tried a wider blade 1"x1.25 tpi and found the quality of the cut was very rough and required much more finishing and wasted more wood.

One downside is 1/2" blade won't cut 4" circles without taking the set off the blade, then the blade will drift if you try and cut straight. Hence a new blade if you need precise straight cuts. Another downside is I seem to break the odd one at the joint but it is no problem to rejoin again.

Carbatec sell a blade brazer kit for $119 (Shock/horror). I only paid 50 for mine a few years ago). This and a gas torch plus heaps of practice and your away. Better still get someone who knows to show you how to do it.

Another plus is you never run out of blades when you break one. It seems the only time I used to break a new welded blade was when it was the last one in stock.

------------------

John Saxton
6th May 2002, 09:17 PM
Bushrat,I don't recall mentioning prices of blades in any of my posts so do not know where you get this from.

I do appreciate your access that you mentioned "Henry Bros Saws" and am aware that they do offer good sevice but I am happy with my local bloke and the service he has provided me with in recent times.

------------------
Johnno

Bushrat
6th May 2002, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by doors
$130 for 4 blades????? You are being had BIG time Pal.....

Hi Stop,
I was informed by the local dealer and the woodies club that LenoxAmerican blades were about the best available so thats what I bought.
Cheers
Bushie

John Saxton
6th May 2002, 10:37 PM
Bushman, I don't recall making reference to the cost of blades of Bandsaws in my recent posts.
I made reference to the width of blades and the cost of my bandsaw.
I think you must be confused with someone else's post!
I do though, know of 'Henry Bros Saw's' and am aware of their product, but deal with my local bloke for the service he has over the years offered up.

------------------
Johnno

John Saxton
7th May 2002, 11:38 PM
Sorry for the repetition or similarity of posts I have changed ISP's and some tidying up is necessary.

Bushrat
8th May 2002, 11:37 PM
Hi John,
No problems, the original was ment for Doorstop, not to worry, so long as we have a sense of humour and the enjoyment of a common hobby, who really cares.
Thanks for you help and suggestion.
C ya
Bushie

Richard Casey
14th May 2002, 09:17 PM
Hi guys, someone forgot to explain that those Lennox blades from Henry Bros, are BI-METAL blades and that is why they appear expensive.For my big saw I use their 1.5" X 1 TPI. to cut up to 500mm thick, in Qld Walnut and Burdekin Plum, two of the hardest and high silica content timbers you would want to cut. These BI-METAL blades outlast ordinary blades 6to1, but the greatest saving I find is in not having the down time to replace the blade as the cheapies go blunt. Just my 20cents worth.
PS. The mail order service from Henry Bros, to Townsville is nothing short of excellent.
Regards from the sunny North.

Rod Smith
14th May 2002, 11:17 PM
Argh, argh argh, thats cutting wood!
cheers
Rod

Arthur Alchin
10th June 2002, 08:40 AM
Hi Nugget.
I have just returned to NSW after living 12 months in SE Queensland: found a Very Good woodworking supply shop at Yatala/ Beenleigh: had some really noce gear at good prices! Can't remeber exact name of shop but near the concrete works you can see from the Pacific motorway (on the right as you head south, not far from Yatala pies. Did have some German gear when i was there last.

Arthur

ptc
10th June 2002, 12:40 PM
It's
South East Qld.
Woodworking Supplies.
Yatala. Qld 4207.
Always very helpfull.

------------------
p.t.c